What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do women naturally talk more than men?

Do women naturally talk more than men?

• Yes, Women have the need to talk more than Men

Votes: 52 69.3%
  • No, Men talk more than women

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Ms.G it's just You that talk a lot

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • It's all on an individual basis

Votes: 19 25.3%

• Total voters

UberFiend

I read the article posted by Fredster, very interesting. However, I have a hard time relating to any of it. I understand that the author is an expert and therefore his assertions must have some bearing, but I always thought the stereotypes of the chatty woman who likes to talk about “feelings” and hang out with her girlfriends gossiping about their relationships, and the silent, distant, simplistic man who likes to talk himself up in front of his buddies were just overblown, oversimplified caricatures of accepted gender roles. I have only met a few people who would fit either stereotype, and I always assumed they were the extreme ends of a wide spectrum. Maybe I’m mistaken. Maybe I’m the weird one. Nevertheless, I voted for the individual basis.

I can’t imagine my boyfriend complaining that I talk too much, and I have absolutely no complaints about his conversational skills. Perhaps this is yet another way in which my computer geek fetish really pays off.

And what’s all this about “feelings”? Everyone always says that women like to talk about their feelings, but what does that mean? Are feelings analogous to opinions? Am I talking about my “feelings” when I’m discussing why I hate the president, or do women actually like discussing their emotions in a touchy feely “Sleepless in Seattle” sort of way?

G

Very intelligent comments UberFiend.

I agree with you in the sense that there possibly were too many generalizations in regards to the subjects of the study...people are very different. People have to also consider that not every girl is the chatty, always crying at sad movies, and complaining about her needs or feelings. I call these girls...Cool girls..

I'm a man that loves to converse. There is a difference between meaningful conversation, and chatter. Women usually chatter more...throwing in comments and such. Men usually speak about things when its necessary and in context. I dont know too many men who have lengthy chat sessions on the phone with their buddies, gossiping and such. You women may take offense to this, but this is from a mans point of a view. I mean absolutely no offense or disrespect. I simply love sociology and psychology, and looking deeper into behavior is intresting to me.

Women and their feelings...

They are more vocal about them yes. Women openly express their emotions. Men's greatest skill is bottling up their emotions. Men think its like taboo to speak about eachothers feelings...it's the whole macho thing..."be a man" type things. It's true though...I don't like these scarf wearing tight pants "sensitive" guys...Men should be men and women should appreciate a man. I personally think though that men now-a-days don't know how to treat a lady at all. I do also feel that the classic, innocent girl is non-existent. Kids are being sexual deviants too young these days...Society is fucked up.

Generally speaking, women speak their minds more. Men like to shutup.

Sorry for my tangent. Here's proof that men can chatter too though..

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The last 2 psts are very good...great thoughts in both, men and women are different, we can all agree on that[ thank goodness] so I think we compliment each other, kinda balances out, maybe not in all situations but thats just my :2cents: we just need to be nice to everyone and this world would be a better place to live :D

G

Karma my friends...

Be nice to others...you're basically being nice to yourself..

Xdox

I had a girlfriend who was afraid to talk in front of me because she thought she talked to much, in truth I dont think she did and I didnt mind listening and sharing my thoughts. As long as men and women can both blaze together its all good.

Motley

Gonna shoot myself in the foot, open the men's 'playbook' and volunteer an insight into mens tactics.

We just say we are thinking about dumb pointless stuff with no clear answer when you ask us questions like 'what are you thinking' and we dont wanna tell you.

It works great too, because it plays to a common attitude amongst women that men are simple minded, idiotic, dolts.

Tugging on a mans thoughts, without invitation, invokes a similar emotional context to tugging on a womans skirt without invitation (figuratively speaking).

Its basically perceived as a type of violation. Men will bottle up or beg off (playing dumb being a favourite tactic) as a defence mechanism.

Then again, the ladies are prolly playing the same game with this angle.

Win his trust and he will tell you everything you want to know and a whole lot you prolly dont.

It works both ways.

peace.

Last edited:

Ms.Grat3ful

Sunshine DayDreamer
Veteran
pieceofmyheart said:
yak yak yak yakkity yak
I love to talk, I'm really a pretty social person.

I don't know if I an nesscarily real social person, persay' but I do think The more comfortable I am with you the more you will hear me talk....
I guess I just have gotten so used to H3ad that I just yak yak yak away at him...:biglaugh:
..... but I have found recently that being around someone I am not comfortable with, aahh I have found I don't talk near as much, that it's difficult to hold up a conversation.... :confused: ... so, ehh, different stroke for different folks....

:wave:

G

No clue but yes most women can't stop jabbing those jowls errr I mean jaws.

Freakazoid44

Men are more "goal oriented", in general, women, more process oriented in their psychological nature.

As such, if there's no point to what a man is thinking, it runs contrary to his nature to blurt it out. Since the process is more important than the destination, it would seem truer to a woman's nature to share what's on her mind, even if, to a man, it doesn't seem to be leading anywhere.

Having put in my semi-informed 2 cents, I'd also say that, Good Lord, I hope it's a natural thing for women to talk more. Otherwise all that jibber-jabber would be extra WORK.

Listen to a woman tell a story and pay attention to every bit of the story. When she is done and you have identified her main point, or upshot, or gist, or whatever the hell she was getting at, consider the things she brought up/or went on a tangent on.

Chances are, 80% of what she said was irrelevant.

Now, as a man, tell her a story. During and after you tell it, notice the time you spend on answering questions she asks about the story which are irrelevant to the story's point.

Now, consider if you were to tell the same story with the information she asked about. Would your story be the same or longer?

The hypothesis as to whether men and women talk more will become evident.

Ta!

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Do women talk more than men? Probably.

But Wolf's just as talkative as any woman, if not worse. I've lost entire nights' worth of sleep because he felt like laying in bed talking nearly non-stop for 8+ hours, and I hardly got a word in edge-wise. :biglaugh:

So as a whole, yes, we women probably do babble on more than men, but on an individual scale, some men (like Wolf) really give us girls a run for our motor-mouth money :biglaugh:

jojajico

Veteran
in general women communicate different then men, usually more verbally. its nothing that a woman should be ashamed of its just a difference in the sexes. you put to average little boys together for a "play date" and they will each grab some toys and play talking very little one has the dump truck the other with a GI joe. put to little girls together and the first thing they do is sit down face each other and start talking.

this causes some problems between the sexes. women often get offended because a man doesnt face them while they talk to them. but ive had complete conversations with my guy friends without ever taking my eyes off the tv. women should understand that its not a sign of disrespect its the way we were raised as young boys. its the way our sex communicates. on that same note men need to understand their women and put a concerted effort towards trying to communicate with their women in a way that wont offend. its about understanding the differences your partner exhibits, finding the middle ground.

stealthballer

my mom is really quiet and my dad never shuts up, I am really quite and my ex never shut up. So I think its a push. Though I will say women talking to other women as though a man isn't around is quite possible the most annoying thing on earth.

D

daisy jane

I have got to say, that is more cases i am sure that the girls are the ones talking the most. But I have been dating my guy for quite awhile, Tarkus, and he never shuts his damn mouth! Ha ha. Which is fine with me, I get a break from talking when I am with him. I usually respond with the traditional "uh-huh" or "sure babe." (Which you guys have perfected.) Ha ha. But it's true, when I am sitting in class it is always the chicks that refuse to shut up!!

tngreen

Veteran
jojajico said:
in general women communicate different then men, usually more verbally. its nothing that a woman should be ashamed of its just a difference in the sexes. you put to average little boys together for a "play date" and they will each grab some toys and play talking very little one has the dump truck the other with a GI joe. put to little girls together and the first thing they do is sit down face each other and start talking.

this causes some problems between the sexes. women often get offended because a man doesnt face them while they talk to them. but ive had complete conversations with my guy friends without ever taking my eyes off the tv. women should understand that its not a sign of disrespect its the way we were raised as young boys. its the way our sex communicates. on that same note men need to understand their women and put a concerted effort towards trying to communicate with their women in a way that wont offend. its about understanding the differences your partner exhibits, finding the middle ground.

:bow: very well put! my gf needs to read that. my efforts toward better communication deserves a medal! shit is hard as hell. usually when she gets mad at me its cause she got offended by something i said. always feel like i have to clarify anything i say cause it always comes out wrong.