What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do LED's make your plants finish sooner than HPS?

slowandeasy

Veteran
Just finishing up my first LED grow, just a CLW 200w in a small tent. I have ran these strains many times under HPS, and these plants seem to be finishing up way quicker. I am impressed with the results so far, they are more frosty looking than my HPS, but I have to start flushing a week sooner. Anyone else have similar experiences?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My plants seem to develop much more quickly under LEDs (bud set in particular seems much quicker), but I don't know about "finishing" sooner. The transition of the trichs to amber seems to take forever. I think that this is because the trich change is actually due to light damage - Weezard did some interesting experiments with this a while back.

slowandeasy

Veteran
My plants seem to develop much more quickly under LEDs (bud set in particular seems much quicker), but I don't know about "finishing" sooner. The transition of the trichs to amber seems to take forever. I think that this is because the trich change is actually due to light damage - Weezard did some interesting experiments with this a while back.

I don't want a ton of Amber. Most my trichs are Cloudy, hairs turned way faster, but plants are very green still. I have a little Amber, but do not know how fast they will turn. I will prolly feed a few more days. I was hoping they would go longer.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Just finishing up my first LED grow, just a CLW 200w in a small tent. I have ran these strains many times under HPS, and these plants seem to be finishing up way quicker. I am impressed with the results so far, they are more frosty looking than my HPS, but I have to start flushing a week sooner. Anyone else have similar experiences?

What I was thinking about is the lessened stress from the LEDs compared to the HPS bulbs and might correlate into the finish times being quicker under L.E.D.S

HPS has been known to blast a god awful amount of light at plants both good and bad but just SO MUCH OF IT that is grows solid buds. I don't see hps being the perfect spectrum and why so many bulb manufacturers attempt to modify it for reds/blues etc.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't want a ton of Amber. Most my trichs are Cloudy, hairs turned way faster, but plants are very green still. I have a little Amber, but do not know how fast they will turn. I will prolly feed a few more days. I was hoping they would go longer.

If the plants are staying green too long, you probably need to chop the feed a little earlier. I think that this has far more to do with the plant yellowing out than the light source - you can keep a plant green right to the end by maintaining nutrient levels.

slowandeasy

Veteran
If the plants are staying green too long, you probably need to chop the feed a little earlier. I think that this has far more to do with the plant yellowing out than the light source - you can keep a plant green right to the end by maintaining nutrient levels.

I cut my feed sooner than HPS, been dialed in for a very long time....and light plays a major factor in yellowing. More intense light near the end of flowering results in faster yellowing. I dial my HPS ballasts down if plants yellow too fast. My Ushio bulbs yellow my plants faster than Hortilux.....spectrum matters.

But I agree, if you keep feeding nitrogen too long they will never yellow. I however cut mine sooner than normal, and the plants are not fading like usual.

vostok

Veteran
I tried LED and admit ..I failed and have run back to the old HPS, which I prefer, but do keep posting I wanna try the bigger cree's one day

Latest posts

Latest posts