What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dna in seeds from clones.

timmyd3853

i have an odd question. i made some clones from a durban mother i had then flipped one of the clones to male with silver thiosulfate. my question is do the seeds from plants with the same dna have the same dna sequence or is the dna sequence random from seed to seed? weird shit you think of when your stoned on your own product LOL. anyway i hope someone can give me an informed answer. forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question im pretty new to the breeding thing so just trying to keep myself well informed as possible. thanks tim

CaptainDankness

You're still going to have recessive traits from the grandparents, great grandparents and all, but a selfed plant will bottleneck the genes more than a cross. Males are definitely a little difficult cause the only way to truly know you have a keeper male is by growing out seeds.

timmyd3853

thanks capt i thought as much thats why i asked but it was a hope anyway that youd end up with sort of a clone seed. but i figured nature would take its own course like it always does irrespective of what we humans do to her.

clearheaded

same as all S1 fem seeds. often pretty close to the clone, obviously can bottlekneck it further by growing out seeds finding closest to the mom and then backcrossing to the original clone. but ya u risk loosing a little vigor or some bad traits coming out. but also can be a great tool. best is getting 2 seperate plants very bottlenecked if u will, inbred line. then outcrossing to an unrelated plant to get vigorous AND consistant true f1 seeds. its what tomato and many other plant breeders do create vigorous F1. vs selling linebred

stashpot

you'll likely end up with plants that resemble the clone of the female you used and also the recessive parents.
1. Durban (clone you used ) 90% + similar to clone you used.
2. Mix of dad
3. Mix of mom

If the durban is a homogeneous strain from seed then you could get close to 75%-90% like the clone just like you would if you reversed the skunk family.

I have S1's of skunk #1 they basically look the same as the non S1's.
Durban is a stable strain so if you s1 it then grow them out and they all look like the clone you have strain you could work with. will pass on dominant traits.
all the best.

timmyd3853

well i guess well see what comes of this. i got about 100 started and about roughly 10% look small weak ect but all the rest so far look about the same. i had taken a bunch of cuttings to grow and decided to set aside a couple to turn male and then pollenated the mother plant with the baby i flipped.