What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DNA Genetics (Kosher Pie) under GLA LEDs

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
And finally a bit of early bud candy. Again, my favourite plant so far, Kosher Pie #2

Not bad for 3.5 weeks of flower.

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Got the side-lighting in today. High Light 420 Strips, one for each side of the tent. They are only running at about 12W each for a total of 50W, but at that current they are super-efficient at around 3.2 umol/j.

I will check for hotspots over the next couple of days and then double the power to around 24W.

This is just a stop-gap made with string and cable ties; I'm making some aluminium supports to mount the LED strips to that can be raised and lowered on the tent poles and we might make these available through Grow Lights Australia.

I love these strips because they are waterproof and have the same spectrum as the big lights. I mean, of course I love them – I designed them, LOL! :rasta:

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Just over 4 weeks of flower now and everything is starting to bud up. The Glowstarz in the back left corner is trailing behind, but it is 10-week pheno. The Kosher Pie are all quite variable and the more sativa dominant plants back right and in the middle are a little more advanced than the two indica phenos at the front.

I had to remove a few lower fan leaves that were i front of the side-lighting, but other than that there has been no defoliation. I'm not a fan of mass defoliation, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of judcious pruning
IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Here is a closer look at the different phenotypes. There is the stretchy sativa #2 at the back, the hybrid #3 in the middle, and two indica phenos front left, #4, and front right, #1.

IMG_1494.jpg

Some close-ups of the sativa pheno. It's already very frosty.
IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

hillbil

I do defoliate as I go along to get maximum light and good ventilation for the buds, as everything is trained and most everything is topped.
Some strains will make replacement leaves incredibly fast and won’t look like they’ve been touched after a few days.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
I do defoliate as I go along to get maximum light and good ventilation for the buds, as everything is trained and most everything is topped.
Some strains will make replacement leaves incredibly fast and won’t look like they’ve been touched after a few days.
That's the reason I don't defoliate. The plant still needs to photosynthesise, so it will divert energy to create new fan leaves. In my observation, those new fan leaves are usually close to the bud sites, which means the buds get a little "leafier" whilst the calyxes themselves get smaller (energy diverted from calyx production to leaf production). The result is smaller, leafier buds than you would otherwise get.

However, I agree that defoliation in some strains can help prevent mould issues due to stagnant air. It depends on the strain. I've tried defoliating over the years but I can honestly say I've never seen an improvement in yield except where I would otherwise lose good bud to botrytis.

Latest posts

Latest posts