What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY IPM Recipes

BillFarthing

Veteran
The hydroponics store has always been a rip off selling bottles of water, oils and salts that cost pennies on the dollar. The DIY Flying Skull Nuke Em Project got me thinking about what goes into a good Integrated Pest Management product. They are typically some kind of active oils/other ingredients and emulsifier. There are some general guidelines when making your own IPM products and saving money over anything available commercially.

Active ingredients kill bugs or mold and have several modes of action. (Dosages are for Ready-To-Use, not concentrate)

Insecticidal soap (potassium salts of fatty acids) dries bugs and mold out and may suffocate pests. The dosage ranges from 20-75 ml./gallon depending on strength and environment. It also works as an emulsifier.

Vegetable oils like canola, corn or cottonseed oil suffocate pests and are typically used at 10-30 ml./gallon

Isopropyl alcohol is used to dry out bugs and mold. It is used 1:100 or ~0.5-1 oz./gallon

Essential oils use volatile organic compounds to disrupt reproduction, feeding or repel insects. It may also smother the spread of surface molds or mildews. The most commonly used are rosemary, eucalyptus, ginger, lemongrass, thyme, clove, cinnamon, peppermint, caraway seed and citronella. Aromatic oils are mixed at 7.5-15 ml./gallon.

Pyrethrum flower insecticides come from Chrysanthemum or Painted Daisies like Tanacetum cinerariifolium and Tanacetum coccineum. To use as a spray, soak ten grams of pyrethrum powder into three litres of warm water for three hours, after this it is ready to be sprayed. It is possible to use fresh flowers instead of dried but you will need to use up to four times the amount of plant material to get the same concentration of active ingredient. To apply as an insecticidal dust, simply apply the dried and crushed flowers on to the leaves of plants that require its protection.

Sulfur kills mold and may kill bugs. A commercial product by Safer uses it at 6.48% as a concentrate. It is also used in JADAM low cost farming in JADAM Sulfur (JS). It is used ~5 g./gallon.

Citric acid may act as a chelator, change pH or act as a preservative. It is typically used at .05% in several products.

Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate are preservatives that may kill or stop the spread of mold. Sodium Benzoate is used less than 0.13% and Potassium Sorbate is used at less than 0.3%.

Yeast may disrupt digestive activity of chewing insects and may outcompete mold. It is used ~3.7 g./gallon in DIY Nuke Em.

Other active ingredients may include enzymes, pool shock (sodium hypochlorite) and biologicals.

Emulsifiers create a mixture of two or more liquids that normally wouldn't mix.

Castile soap, Dr. Bronners soap and Murphy's Oil Soap are used 7.5-30 ml./gallon. Sals Suds is a detergent and is used at 7.5 ml/gal. They also help dry out bugs and mold. It is also very similar to JADAM Wetting Agent (JWA)

Agsil 16H is potassium silicate. Mix 1.5 grams (Just under 1/2 Teaspoon) AgSil 16H with 1/2 Ounce Ahimsa Pure Neem Oil to emulsify the oil. Then mix this emulsified oil with one gallon final volume spray solution. Spray every other week covering all plant surfaces (top and bottom of leaves) until it runs off.

Saponins are plant derived surfactants. They can be found in Yucca and soaproot and may have other plant benefits.

Lecithins like soy or sunflower lecithins come from plants and attract oil and water. Mammoth Biocontrol uses it at 5%.

Sodium Bicarbonate may act like potassium silicate and raise pH to kill mold. It may also reduce foam. It is typically used at ~2% by volume.

These are some general rules to put together your own IPM products. I'd like to also give credit to Build A Soil. I'd love to hear any feedback.

Now, here's some recipes.

Last edited:

BillFarthing

Veteran
Mammoth Biocontrol

5% Thyme Oil
90% Light corn oil
5% Liquid Lecithins (sunflower)

Use 3 oz./gallon. Shake well and use sticker/spreader

Flying Skull Nuke Em Clone

Distilled/RO water (50 ml)
Insecticidal Soap (also called Potassium Soap) (40 ml)
Yeast (fresh brewery yeast or dry yeast) (4 g)
Lemon Juice (2 ml)
Potassium Sorbate (2 g)
Sodium Benzoate (2 g)

Top up to 4 oz with distilled/RO water

Use 4 oz./gallon and agitate before and during use

Homemade Green Cleaner

0.5 gallon of RO water,
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7-8 ml sal suds,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12-13 ml canola oil[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14-15 ml iso alcohol[/FONT]
Top up with RO water to 1 gallon.

Lost Coast Plant Therapy

Water, distilled water, deionized water2-12%
Sodium Citrate≤2.5%
Soybean oil25-50%
Isopropyl alcohol-35%
Ppotassium salts of Fatty Acids-35%
Peppermint oil-≤2.5%
Citric Acid-≤2.5%

Cornell Dormant Oil

-2 tablespoons of ultrafine canola oil and 1 tablespoon of baking soda mixed with a gallon of water.
-Nourishing formula- 2 tablespoons of horticultural oil, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of kelp and 1 tablespoon of mild dish soap mixed with 1 gallon of water.
-Recipe 3 contains 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, 2 tablespoons of castile soap — which is made from an olive oil base — and 1 gallon of water.

Build A Soil Foliar

Foliar Recipe #1: Neem Oil + Agsil16H 7.8% + Aloe Vera + Essential Oils (Use During Lights Out Only)
This is the go to IPM foliar spray for weekly use, but variations of this recipe can be used and will be listed below without all of the detailed explanations. If you are worried about all the recipes, then just use this one and you’ll be fine.
1 Gallon Clean Water (You can also use Botanical Tea for the water) 1 Tablespoon Neem Oil (Use Ahimsa Neem @ BuildASoil.com) 1-2 Teaspoons 7.8% Potassium Silicate Solution ½ - 1 Ounce of Essential Oils (Use different combinations and different oils each week) 1/4 Cup Pure Aloe Vera Juice (If using 200x Aloe Powder from BuildASoil.com add 1/8 Teaspoon per gallon)

Oils for for IPM Use: Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Lemongrass, Thyme, Clove, Cinnamon, Peppermint etc. Directions for mixing:

The key is to get the Neem Oil Properly emulsified so that it sprays evenly or else this spray won’t be nearly as effective. Use warm water but not hot. (75-85 degrees) I like to add 1 cup of the gallon of water into a Protein Shaker cup with the round wire whisk ball for mixing but you can use a whisk and a regular cup, a blender or whatever you have on hand.

To this 1 cup of water I add my Aloe Vera Juice or powder and let sit until clear.

Then emulsify 1 Tablespoon of Neem oil using 1-2 teaspoons of 7.8% Potassium Silicate solution into the shaker cup with the warm water and Aloe Juice.

Add the emulsified neem/silica/aloe solution to the other 15 cups of water to make your full gallon of spray.

Add the essential oils of your choice and stir vigorously to keep the oil emulsified.

Spray the plant down using a sprayer with a wand like a Chapin model 1949. This type of sprayer will allow you to effectively coat your entire plant from bottom to top. Use the wand and work your way from the bottom to the top spraying the underside of every leaf and once done turn the wand over and spray the top of every leaf, completely saturating the canopy until the plant is weeping and ready to fall over from the weight of the foliar spray.

Make Sure to spray this just before or just after lights off as the neem oil and the essential oils will burn your plants if sprayed with lights on. Essential oils are especially reactive to light so be sure to spray at lights out… and not just a couple hours before lights on.

Dr Bronners And Essential Oils

Dr. Bronners Style Soap + Essential Oils
1 Gallon Clean Water
1 Ounce of Dr. Bronners Plain Soap
.5 – 1 Ounce of Essential Oils (Use half this amount if using a scented soap like peppermint or lavender)

Last edited:

thailer

i found the exact percentages of what is in the concentrated bottle of green cleaner from the safety data sheet and i checked EPA's website and it says the percentages are by weight; not volume. each ingredient has a specific density or weight and so that is gonna be the tricky part. the listed iso that they use is 99.5% which is what i bought.

Soybean oil 39.0% Sodium lauryl sulfate 19.0% Isopropyl alcohol 20.0% Water 18.5% Sodium citrate 3.0% citric acid 0.5%

4 ounces of concentrate would be 118.3 mL

canola oil is 0.92 grams per mL so that weighs 46.14g
water is 1 gram per mL so that is 21.89g
iso alcohol is 0.785 grams per mL 18.57 grams

which leaves us with 86.6 grams total weight of the liquid ingredients. the rest of it is in powder form and i'm not sure how to convert that so i used a conversion calculator.

sodium lauryl sulfate is 1.01 grams per cubic centimeter so a calculator says that converts to 22.64 g
sodium citrate is 1.7 grams per cubic centimeter so the calculator says 6.02 grams
citric acid is 1.66 grams per cubic centimeter so the calculator says that 0.5% would be 0.98 grams

so the total weight of 4 ounces of concentrate should weigh 116.24 grams
canola oil 46 grams
RO water 22 grams
isopropyl alcohol 99% 18.6 grams
sodium lauryl sulfate 22.64 grams
sodium citrate 6 grams
citric acid 1 gram

so the amount of ingredients using the 1 ounce per gallon dosage rate for green cleaner, that would be:
12.5 mL canola oil
14.6 mL iso alc
0.25 g citric acid
1.5 g sodium citrate
5.66 g sodium lauryl sulfate

if you wanna use Sal Suds, the weight of 5 mL of Sal Suds is 5.2 grams so it should be 7-8 ml sal suds, 12-13 ml canola oil and 14-15 ml iso alcohol per gallon to be exactly like Green Cleaner when using the 1 ounce dosage rate.

BillFarthing

Veteran
7-8 ml sal suds, 12-13 ml canola oil and 14-15 ml iso alcohol per gallon to be exactly like Green Cleaner when using the 1 ounce dosage rate.

Thanks for double checking me. It's one of my go-to recipes and I didn't realize I was doing the heavy dosage.

As always, spray on a feed/water day right before the lights go out with proper air circulation.

thailer

Thanks for double checking me. It's one of my go-to recipes and I didn't realize I was doing the heavy dosage.

As always, spray on a feed/water day right before the lights go out with proper air circulation.

i haven't actually used the recipe i suggested for green cleaner. i mixed up a bottle of concentrate and it just looks like oil and milky water. i'm too nervous to spray my plants with it. lots of people have told me tho that it works great.

alcohol is supposed to dissolve oils so when i mix the iso with the canola, it stays suspended but as soon as you add soap, it turns to fat globs.

I have yet to try this out on my plants but i decided to leave out the canola and instead use essential oils. now that works and the oil dissolves right into the iso. zero fat globs and no residue. i used 5 ml of essential oils total to 2 ounces of iso and 10 ml sal suds. it should make up two gallons of spray. Who Dat Is told me that i could use up to 2 ounces of iso per gallon with no ill effects, so i was gonna try that too.

someone also told me about Smite which is geraniol with menthol and is alcohol based. the description of the spray sounds great and it says that it works best in hot temps because that is how it doesn't leave a residue is from evaporation of the essential oils. so basically alcohol evaporation of any residues and the essential oils they chose are alcohol based so i think this will work better than the green cleaner spray.

i just thought it was interesting how the concentration on the bottle is by weight of the oil and not the volume of it.

tib3r1us

Thanks for all the recipes amazing stuff @billfarthing @thailer or anyone else who may know do we have exact ratios on the mix for lost coast plant therapy I'm trying to replicate the mix and it's not exactly clear

thailer

so to replicate their mix you'll need to buy a sugar based surfactant called decyl glucoside https://www.makeyourown.buzz/decyl-...hO8WWz9UDZuX4mQljbRzZpnlIrP0l9mxoCyaoQAvD_BwE

now you look at the SDS sheet here https://hydrofarm.com/f/i/2ld5f29/Lost Coast Plant Therapy - SDS.pdf

the exact percentages are not shared as they're proprietary but it gives you the basic idea and you can fiddle around with it. remember the percentages are by density/weight; not volume. so if something is lightweight like alcohol, the percentage could be higher that the same volume of oil. hope that makes sense.

but it is this sugar based surfactant which probably has bug killing properties, soybean oil (you can use canola) and alcohol with a little citric acid to pH and peppermint oil.

BillFarthing

Veteran
so to replicate their mix you'll need to buy a sugar based surfactant called decyl glucoside

How long have you been working for Lost Coast Plant Therapy? :laughing: You want a sugar based surfactant? Try yucca or sunflower lecithin.

You don't have to buy shit. Just tweak the water/alcohol/oil/soap recipe that's been used for decades, spray with the lights off and do what works for you.

tib3r1us

Ok so I got :
Sodium lauryl sulfate
Potassium sorbate
Sodium benzoate
Sodium citrate
Citric acid
Lemon juice
Yucca extract
Dry yeast
Insecticidal Soap
Peppermint oil
99% iso

Attachments

• 15786935399296989701359772969628.jpg
    15786935399296989701359772969628.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 134

BillFarthing

Veteran
Ok so I got :
Sodium lauryl sulfate
Potassium sorbate
Sodium benzoate
Sodium citrate
Citric acid
Lemon juice
Yucca extract
Dry yeast
Insecticidal Soap
Peppermint oil
99% iso

Looks like you have a nice little IPM kit to rotate products starting with homemade Nuke Em. The only thing I might suggest would be canola or cottonseed oil, maybe some potassium silicate. There's plenty to play with.

tib3r1us

Ok so I'm having a hard time figuring this out if I wanted to make 1 gallon of Lost Coast how does this translate to grams and ml. My apologies if I sound stupid but I would really like to figure this out

Sodium Citrate≤2.5%
Soybean oil25-50%
Isopropyl alcohol-35%
Potassium salts of Fatty Acids-35%
Peppermint oil-≤2.5%
Citric Acid-≤2.5%

Also I'm using insecticidal Soap for the potassium salts but it's a concentrate from safers it says it's 50% potassium salts of fatty acid and says I have to dilute 10ml of product to 500ml of water so my question is should I dilute it before mixing it to make the product or do I use it as concentrate ?

thailer

How long have you been working for Lost Coast Plant Therapy? :laughing: You want a sugar based surfactant? Try yucca or sunflower lecithin.

You don't have to buy shit. Just tweak the water/alcohol/oil/soap recipe that's been used for decades, spray with the lights off and do what works for you.

if you think about it long enough, someone that works for Lost Coast Plant Therapy wouldn't tell someone how to DIY or link to the surfactant to buy or tip them off that the density influences the given percentage range. :tiphat:

yucca and sunflower lecithin are not sugar based. i don't even know how effective a sugar based surfactant is for killing bugs but there was one a couple years ago when i was looking at Arbico.

thailer

Ok so I'm having a hard time figuring this out if I wanted to make 1 gallon of Lost Coast how does this translate to grams and ml. My apologies if I sound stupid but I would really like to figure this out

Sodium Citrate≤2.5%
Soybean oil25-50%
Isopropyl alcohol-35%
Potassium salts of Fatty Acids-35%
Peppermint oil-≤2.5%
Citric Acid-≤2.5%

Also I'm using insecticidal Soap for the potassium salts but it's a concentrate from safers it says it's 50% potassium salts of fatty acid and says I have to dilute 10ml of product to 500ml of water so my question is should I dilute it before mixing it to make the product or do I use it as concentrate ?

you would have to measure or google the density of each ingredient to find grams per mL.

then you take one gallon and figure out how many mL make up the desired percentage. so for potassium salts of fatty acids would be 35% of one gallon, so find out how many mL that is.

take the weight per mL and multiply by how many mL you need.

your bottle of Safers is a 50% concentration if that is what it says on the label. if you took the 500 ml of water and weighed it, then weighed out half of the waters weight in soap, i think you'd have more than 10 mL worth of soap. soap probably weighs more than water so common sense tells me that 10 ml would weigh less than half the weight of the water. sorry i'm not sure of the math to convert that for ya.

tib3r1us

So I found a new label on one of their new larger containers any speculation on this it looks different from the previous posted ingredients I'm tired of paying 400/gal for this stuff but it's seems to work best

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_154916.jpg
    IMG_20200130_154916.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 180

tib3r1us

38% soybean oil
.5% peppermint oil
.25% citric acid
61.25 inert ingredients
Purified Water ,iso,soap,sodium citrate

Sorry picture quality is not great

Latest posts