What's new

Ditching the tent?

goingrey

Kinda wanna do it. Tired of squatting and peeping through the door to look at my plants. An more space will give more possibilities..

What if I just hang the light from the ceiling of the room.

Concerns:

* Airflow. Can I get anywhere close without the tent? Will the scrubber do a good enough job odor control wise in a more open space or do I need to size up a lot? Do I need an extra fan to provide airflow for the plants as it's not forced past the plants from the intake at the bottom to the top? The mesh-filter at the intake isn't exactly perfect but needs to be cleaned often enough so it's catching something, also something to think about, vacuum more often?

* Lost light. The walls in the room are painted white but much more far away than the tent's walls. The good part is more space, but not planning on getting a more powerful light so I wonder how well I can use that space. And the LM301H diodes have a wide angle. Will I just lose half of my light power? Keeping the light close to the canopy might help a little, I suppose. Need some yoyos?

Anything else I need to think about? Humidity and temperature control when the lung room is the room? Light leaks if I need to open the door to deal with that? Soon the days will be short enough though if I run my lights on during the day...

Rider420

If your only using auto flowering plants its fine, some light loss and therefor less bud but not much. FYI a carbon filter will get rid of dust and order in the whole room. Temp and humidity is best controlled by an exhaust fan for the whole room.

goingrey

If your only using auto flowering plants its fine, some light loss and therefor less bud but not much. FYI a carbon filter will get rid of dust and order in the whole room. Temp and humidity is best controlled by an exhaust fan for the whole room.
Mainly photos but I think it will still be fine. "Not much" less bud I would totally be fine with but if it's like half then that is kinda wasting electricity.

The airflow and odor control thing is the bigger concern though. Do I need more and more powerful equipment. And if I can run it like a "sealed" room or do I need to make the next room the lung room...

i have never grown in a tent so it can be done!
Yes for sure it can be done. But at what cost... Maybe I just need to try it.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I use black or purple 3M filters on my intakes. I would recommend putting one on your room scrubber, because it will increase the life of the scrubber and keep dust/hair/carpet-fibers/beaver-dander/perlite-dust and so on from coating some of the flowers. :)

goingrey

I use black or purple 3M filters on my intakes. I would recommend putting one on your room scrubber, because it will increase the life of the scrubber and keep dust/hair/carpet-fibers/beaver-dander/perlite-dust and so on from coating some of the flowers. :)
Yeah the filtered intake possibility is really a great benefit of the tent. As opposed to just a light in an open room...

No one likes hairs on buds. A pet peeve of mine when people post photos with hairs on their buds. Can't they see them or what?

Call_me_breeze

I was able to do a shitload of work in my room with mounting just 2 2x4s to the ceiling. It would be hard for me to describe everything, but I have a flower room and a veg room in one bedroom. I've hung a few oscillating fans on the walls, but almost all of the construction is held up, hung from, attached to those 2 studs. It's allowed me to change things around so many times without having to make new holes in the walls. I'll have plenty of work to do when I move, but for what I've done in there it really won't be bad. It's hard to describe and hard to capture in a photo, but...it's like this.
1000 words.jpg

goingrey

I was able to do a shitload of work in my room with mounting just 2 2x4s to the ceiling. It would be hard for me to describe everything, but I have a flower room and a veg room in one bedroom. I've hung a few oscillating fans on the walls, but almost all of the construction is held up, hung from, attached to those 2 studs. It's allowed me to change things around so many times without having to make new holes in the walls. I'll have plenty of work to do when I move, but for what I've done in there it really won't be bad. It's hard to describe and hard to capture in a photo, but...it's like this. View attachment 18741540
Now there's an inspirational shot! I see you've got the scrubber on the floor in the middle of the room, interesting.

Call_me_breeze

Now there's an inspirational shot! I see you've got the scrubber on the floor in the middle of the room, interesting.
It's being rebuilt rn, but yeah, I like to kick any CO2 back up into the canopy, break the stratification. But trying to cut back on power use, adding ventilation back, at least for the nighttime