What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Digging Grow Holes - Fun at First, then it becomes Work

tech1234

Wouldn't an earth auger be more efficient?
If you've got a buddy you can remove 18 inch holes at a time.

not in the soil we have here in the northeast. rocks and roots stop the augers dead and then you have to get them unstuck. I definetly tried using augers as well. also the tiller is much quieter with the little Honda 4 stroke engine

I was diggin' holes today too- but just adding some FFOF to some bags

7PyLniu.jpg

C7UQ80d.jpg

Yesterday buried water lines for irrigation in our wonderful clay-filled soil, which wasn't fun but still not too bad.

pxne7ii.jpg

I was diggin' holes today too- but just adding some FFOF to some bags

View Image

View Image

Yesterday buried water lines for irrigation in our wonderful clay-filled soil, which wasn't fun but still not too bad.

View Image

The ocean forest is what I use for my 5x5in pots, then i amend it for my 5/7 gal pots, it's kind of useless to amend big holes with.ffof.. better to use Kellogg patio+ and worm castings + chicken pellets _ manure etc etc. ... I decided I wasn't going to pay for marketing this yr, among other things.

Attachments

• 20170515_132107.jpg
    20170515_132107.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 7

Limeygreen

Veteran
If you can bring a broadfork in, you can jam it in, jump on it and loosen the soil you need to dig first. If you have the luxury of being able prep a year ahead the soil, broadfork, dig, amend with organic matter and gypsum to the clay base, plant cover crops like oat, barley and buckwheat in august or so, let them become winter killed and till them in for winter so by spring you are ready to rock.

it's kind of useless to amend big holes with.ffof.. better to use Kellogg patio+ and worm castings + chicken pellets _ manure etc etc. ... I decided I wasn't going to pay for marketing this yr, among other things.

the large holes are good composted soil, just wanted to drop the girls directly into excellent soil- FFOF is $7/bag out here. An extra $200 isn't much for the ease and assurance.

the large holes are good composted soil, just wanted to drop the girls directly into excellent soil- FFOF is $7/bag out here. An extra $200 isn't much for the ease and assurance.

Yup there ya go. Idk, xplanted my last round of clones into straight patio plus so who knows.

Easy7

Veteran
Being in a glacier drift, ton's of minerals here. I like the local flavor the soil imparts. It takes a couple of years to work it with the clay. They say the top soil was several feet thick before they started farming without conservation. Also said a squirrel used to be able to go from the Ohio river to the great lakes without ever touching ground. Sad how it's all over priced junk now.