What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Different nutrient concentration levels under LED?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Wuts up folks?
Im bout to start flowering under a few quantum boards, 450w per 4x4. I heard that LEDs require less nutrients when growing. Not sure the science of this, so wanted to hear from experience.
Was planning on running Jacks 321 in DTW coco setup.
Heres a pic, these will be split between 2 tables. Appreciate any insight!

picture.php

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
run it bro dont change it if its not broke, if anything you will run a bit hotter in your rooms, which means theyre drinking more so do the stuff you been doing and adjust by your runoff and input measurements - u gonna love this light!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
My best guess is the lack of so much near-red (infra-red) the HIDs put out so much of. The heat it generates in the plant itself drives transpiration rates higher, allowing a lower nutrient strength level for full health.

Without the infra-red, transpiration rates are lower and this would make your normal feed strength too weak. The common solution is to raise temps, which increases evaporation and plant transpiration for cooling. This is not a solution for me, since I'm fully against warm temps in flower. ;)

The second option I'm aware of also causes issues. Increasing the nutrient/amendment strength will work, but decreases your window for controlling quality if transpiration rates suddenly increase. Remember, your main goal with cannabis is to underfeed if you're going to make a mistake. Any overfeeding will permanently affect end quality.

Hope that helps. :)

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
run it bro dont change it if its not broke, if anything you will run a bit hotter in your rooms, which means theyre drinking more so do the stuff you been doing and adjust by your runoff and input measurements - u gonna love this light!

The room is actually a lot cooler with these leds, im switchin from gavitas and my room was setup to manage the heat. Actually turned off the ac and only got the intake fan from outside that kicks on when temps reach about 75 degrees. I run the lights at night too which also keeps temps down.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
My best guess is the lack of so much near-red (infra-red) the HIDs put out so much of. The heat it generates in the plant itself drives transpiration rates higher, allowing a lower nutrient strength level for full health.

Without the infra-red, transpiration rates are lower and this would make your normal feed strength too weak. The common solution is to raise temps, which increases evaporation and plant transpiration for cooling. This is not a solution for me, since I'm fully against warm temps in flower. ;)

The second option I'm aware of also causes issues. Increasing the nutrient/amendment strength will work, but decreases your window for controlling quality if transpiration rates suddenly increase. Remember, your main goal with cannabis is to underfeed if you're going to make a mistake. Any overfeeding will permanently affect end quality.

Hope that helps. :)

Hmmm.. ok so im guessing with the quantum boards that have less infra red in um then the classic led i wont have to change much...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just finished my first run with LED. I personally didn't find feeding to be too much different.

I messed around with raising temps and did see growth rate increases but also resin decreases. I think the idea you can run these lights inches from the plants is a mistake. I see roughly the same canopy gap necessary as I did with CMH.

I did have some tip burn, but not enough to concern me; plants entered senescence as they should have.

All in all I think my LED didn't drive the plants as hard as CMH did - but I also saw that as a penetration issue - CMH just gets further into the canopy. Best solution after one round with LED is to SCROG, keep that canopy shallow and level and you'll get great flowers comparative to a HID. Yields? Not so sure I'm convinced.

Granted, I'm using a 200w x 2 - HGLED XB200 - which is different on many ways than what you are using, but, I think these generic principles apply to LED. If you have to feed less, it's only because there isn't as much flower to maintain.

I'm not casting shade on the lights - I just need another round or two to really learn how to utilize them best.

dank.Frank

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Interesting

In my limited recent experiences with LED I have found my plants like a third MORE food. My normal feed mix resulting in rapidly yellowing leaves.

I actually watered a plant under my HPS with the LED jug not thinking and it burned the plant a little.

Interested to see if others felt their plants ate more with LED..