What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deficiency or other problem

firetech89

Whats going on yall, been a long time since I've posted. Took like 8-10 years break from growing. Started up again and trying living soil. Transplanted clones about a week ago.
First I noticed twisting/contorted leaves in a few, then lighter green/ blochy spots on larger leaves. Today I noticed leaves tip going and brown/rusty colored spots. Is this a deficiency since the soil hasn't broke down and made nutrients available yet?
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!
20240222_153943.jpg
20240222_153804.jpg
20240222_153744.jpg
20240222_153724.jpg

Last edited:

Sun&Soil

I'm guessing an environmental issue, and if I had to narrow it down, I would guess over watering.

oldfogey8

How is the pH of your water? I have checked the pH of the runoff when I used to check pH but I have been lucky with my town water(so I don’t check pH anymore).

What are the holes in the soil for?

I have never tried making living soil. Looked into it but the cost of the ingredients always made me clench😁(I am pretty cheap). That said, with all the goodies in the soil, I would probably hold off on the seaweed and molasses drench for a bit until they recover at least. The soil is probably feeding the plants sufficiently at this point(maybe a bit too much as hot soil can lock out certain nutrients and may be why the stems are so purple).

firetech89

I know i have over watered, the soil is soggy. I dont have any run off or standing water in drip pans to test. Thinking/knowing I had over did it, I used a chop stix to make air pockets (the holes) to hopefully allow it to dry out. Also bumped up exhaust fans for more exchange and osalating fan for air circulation, in hopes that would also help. Just wanted some other opinions if I over looked something else.
Should these bounce back? Long term issues, or just stunted growth and need to veg longer? Any other tips to dry the soil, or just sit back and ride it out and hope for the best?

oldfogey8

Sun&Soil called it. They should recover fine. Low humidity will dry out the soil. My grow room is 35% humidity and my soil is drying out to where I need to water about every 36 hrs in 3 gallon pots(bigger plants though). Warmer temps will help too but I am sure you know that.

firetech89

How is the pH of your water? I have checked the pH of the runoff when I used to check pH but I have been lucky with my town water(so I don’t check pH anymore).

What are the holes in the soil for?

I have never tried making living soil. Looked into it but the cost of the ingredients always made me clench😁(I am pretty cheap). That said, with all the goodies in the soil, I would probably hold off on the seaweed and molasses drench for a bit until they recover at least. The soil is probably feeding the plants sufficiently at this point(maybe a bit too much as hot soil can lock out certain nutrients and may be why the stems are so purple).
Checked the ph of the run off in off the other tent, all the same clones, same batch of soil, same waterings. Ph is 6.55, however I believe youre right as the soil seem hot, ppm was 2000 flashing, unsure what that means for soil compared to hydro rezs.
Wish I had a way of raising Temps (lights are on 3pm-9am) light cycle temps 71-82F, lights off gets down to 66F

20240222_211159.jpg

20240222_212520.jpg
20240222_212459.jpg

oldfogey8

Your pH is good. Temps are fine too. I would just give the soil a couple of days to dry out. I judge when to water my plants by the weight of the pot they are in. When it feels light, I water. The wet/dry cycle is important for giving the roots oxygen. One other thing I thought about as far as drying the soil out is you could put a wire rack like you’d use to cool cookies on under the pots to promote airflow under the pots. I was moving my plants around in my tent last night and the bottoms of the pots were still pretty moist in spite of the pots feeling light. I should put some cookie racks under my pots.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Whats going on yall, been a long time since I've posted. Took like 8-10 years break from growing. Started up again and trying living soil. Transplanted clones about a week ago.
First I noticed twisting/contorted leaves in a few, then lighter green/ blochy spots on larger leaves. Today I noticed leaves tip going and brown/rusty colored spots. Is this a deficiency since the soil hasn't broke down and made nutrients available yet?
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!! View attachment 18963391 View attachment 18963392 View attachment 18963393 View attachment 18963394
First of all, how long has the mix rested? Because if you mix all those ingredients together, they have to rest at least a month, and the longer the better.

What I'd add to the mix is:

Magnesium Lime, 1 tablespoon per gallon
Bloodmeal or high nitrogen bat guano - a strong nitrogen source.
Worm castings

Leave out the liquid seaweed, and only use it in well brewed teas.

Anything that has peat in it should have at least 1 tablespoon per gallon of magnesium lime.

Organic nutrients are always contained in something else, and need time for the microbes to break them down. Which is why it's important to feed the mycrobes, more than the plant.

And keep the roots healthy, because the tiny roothairs are basically sacks filled with microbes, feeding and interacting with the plant.

1708766027712.png

Melon seed that got lost in the supersoil mix, fed with fermented hempseed sprouts. Notice all the super fine roothairs.

It's only February, so there is plenty of time to start again and it takes a few swings to get back in the game after a long period of absence.

One thing you should do is get a bag of hempseeds at a bait shop, grow them to microgreen size, put them in a container, top it up with a mixture of water dissolved raw sugar, put a fermentation lock on it (add some H2O2 to the water in the fermentation lock) and put it away from at least a week.

A cap per quart of water, sprayed on the plant or fed to the medium, will feed the plant and the microbes. And has all the hemp/cannabis friendly or specific mycorrhizal fungi, etc. The sugars both ferment the greens and feed the microbes on the plant.

It will also make the supersoil or compost break down faster.

Last edited:

firetech89

Thanks all for the advice and help. It hasn't even been a week and I believe the ladies are past my mistakes. After considering what I had done and what yall thought was going on, I think I over watered and had too intense of light on them.
I bumped up exhaust and circulation fans to assist on drying out, raised the light and dimmed it back to 50%. Soil has dried out nicely, leaves are not showing twisting and no more leaf damage (what was damaged did yellow out, but hasn't spred or new developments). Plants seem happy, everything is perked up and worshiping the light.
Other things I have done was top them, also added 1/2 cup of dolomite lime & 1/2 cup of worm castings to each as a top dress, mixed in the top inch or so of the soil.
Got some updated pictures and a shot of the moms, excuse the 3 in solo cups those are extras and don't have a plan of what to do with them yet.
Any other recommendations or tips are welcome and we'll received.
Thanks for stopping by and happy gardening!
20240226_171902.jpg
20240226_172220.jpg
20240226_172152.jpg
20240226_171914.jpg
20240226_171709.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts