What's new

Deer do NOT like tiny landing pads...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Got deer pressure?

The herds in this area are rather invasive and they love the orchards, gardens and cannabis plants! The standard method of keeping them out here is expensive fencing, and it's expensive because it has to be so tall. Well, it turns out fencing does not have to be so tall to keep deer out... if they have only a tiny place to land after jumping.

Usually less than $300 for an almost 7' tall roll of fencing, but the deer jump right over it. So if deer will jump over a fence when they can determine there is enough room for them to land safely on the other side, how can we make them see there is no safe landing?

The answer is narrow lanes and strips of cloth.

I noticed last year the deer will not jump over a fence and into a narrow space. 5 fence posts are less than $40, and you only need 4 if you don't want an actual door. My space was approximately 15' wide by 50' long, full of garden and cannabis plants which get eaten by deer every year, and not a single deer jumped in. I blame it on the ground being littered with pots and planters, and not having enough space for a landing.

Next year I'll be setting this up again and, if I remember, I'll come back and post some pics. lol :) Figured I'd share while I remembered, yeah? ;)

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Great post!

Alternative or if the tall fence is already there = you put privacy mesh over the fence so they can't see the safe landing..

If area is wooded you could also pile some brush about 1-2 meters away on the outside of the fence, it will be a detterent.

Douglas.Curtis

Correct, I forgot to mention deer need at least a little run-up to clear a 7' fence, so multiple fence installations alongside each other would work as well as brush and trees :D

Old Piney

So I don't doubt the deer problems but I gotta say I'm over- run with the critters but they don't touch my pot plants , They eat everything else veggies, flowers landscaping, the weed around my plants .I'm convinced thay will eat a rock if they're hungry enough but not my plants knock on wood. My worst critter problems are early on with rabbits gotta have a fence and then there's the damn groundhogs I plead the 5 th with regards to them .BTW the double fence works with my veggies

Last edited:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
You may be onto something, D.C
We are over run with deer here where I live.
I use a six foot fairly rigid plastic fence with a white nylon string about another foot or so above that tied from post to post. The metal posts I use sink to 4 feet above the ground and I wire tie bamboo poles to the posts so they extend another three feet above the posts to accommodate the six foot fencing and string.
I use HugulKulture raised beds in the garden so there isnt much space between each bed.
The only time Ive had deer in the garden was when I left the gate open. :oops:
As for cannabis plants they seem to leave them alone for the most part. Particularly once they flower and start to smell.

Douglas.Curtis

Deer not eating cannabis makes me wonder. Is it strain related, is it like the citrus industry where the trees are not healthy enough to be appetizing, a combination of things, deer habits by region/area, or something else?

Here in the four corners area of Colorado they also eat cannabis until it flowers.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I just read an article that mentions using prickly pear cactus as fencing.
An added benefit is sale of the fruits and pads.
I'm on the northern fringe of it's range but it does grow here in the beach dunes ,of all places.

Old Piney

I suppose any kind of thick planting will work on the inside of the fence ( no landing pad) may as well be useful, blackberries raspberries goose berries ect

Old Piney

Deer not eating cannabis makes me wonder. Is it strain related, is it like the citrus industry where the trees are not healthy enough to be appetizing, a combination of things, deer habits by region/area, or something else?

Here in the four corners area of Colorado they also eat cannabis until it flowers.
Here in Nj is much different than out west , everything is so lush and there are all kinds of weeds and new growth that deer just like more .There's much more variety in trees and undergrowth. Great thread BTW

Last edited:

F2F

Got deer pressure?

The herds in this area are rather invasive and they love the orchards, gardens and cannabis plants! The standard method of keeping them out here is expensive fencing, and it's expensive because it has to be so tall. Well, it turns out fencing does not have to be so tall to keep deer out... if they have only a tiny place to land after jumping.

Usually less than $300 for an almost 7' tall roll of fencing, but the deer jump right over it. So if deer will jump over a fence when they can determine there is enough room for them to land safely on the other side, how can we make them see there is no safe landing?

The answer is narrow lanes and strips of cloth.

I noticed last year the deer will not jump over a fence and into a narrow space. 5 fence posts are less than $40, and you only need 4 if you don't want an actual door. My space was approximately 15' wide by 50' long, full of garden and cannabis plants which get eaten by deer every year, and not a single deer jumped in. I blame it on the ground being littered with pots and planters, and not having enough space for a landing.

Next year I'll be setting this up again and, if I remember, I'll come back and post some pics. lol :) Figured I'd share while I remembered, yeah? ;)
Haha. You’ve got it. They need to land.

I use a similar approach - one strand of wire about knee height or a little lower, placed about 2-3 feet inside of a single strand at waist height. They don’t like to navigate that set up.

Peace
F2F

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
Here in germany too, ripped my 2 plants this summer at my wood spot... also had 3 plants in 3 cornfields and a lot of them over the years but my cannabis plants in cornfields were never eaten, don't know why.

Douglas.Curtis

What do they spray on the corn in your area? Corn is a terrible crop in the USA to grow within, the pesticides, fungicides and who knows what else they spray is nasty for cannabis.

St. Phatty

What do they spray on the corn in your area? Corn is a terrible crop in the USA to grow within, the pesticides, fungicides and who knows what else they spray is nasty for cannabis.

It's mostly sprayed from the air.

maybe if someone made a See-through Umbrella for people that want to grow in Agribiz cornfields.

Hide the plant as much as possible, protect it from crap dropped from the air.

But you would need to grow Auto's, since most corn is harvested before Cannabis.

Latest posts

Latest posts