What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep Chunk

gonanchoa

will a new repro be available?

Is it true deep chunk, x18 and tule fog came from mendo joe? not sure where I read it.

gonanchoa

X-18 is from "The Chemist": https://www.icmag.com/forum/icmag-vendor-forums/seedbay/143068-x18#post4025557

I was under the impression DC is as well but can't find verification for that with the search so possibly not?

Tule Fog is from Tom Hill, DC x Haze

Thanks for the correction!

I was actually interested in the PTK but mistook it for the tule fog! my bad sry

DC is definitely an afghan cultivar and probably one of the few pure BLD seeds available, but where was is sourced?

my impression is that bubba kush and many of the "american kushes" are DC descendants or relatives.... haven't genetics been able to do that? is phylos detecting people who have copied DC?

goingrey

Thanks for the correction!

I was actually interested in the PTK but mistook it for the tule fog! my bad sry

DC is definitely an afghan cultivar and probably one of the few pure BLD seeds available, but where was is sourced?

my impression is that bubba kush and many of the "american kushes" are DC descendants or relatives.... haven't genetics been able to do that? is phylos detecting people who have copied DC?

No DC submitted to Phylos.

Bubba Kush shows up as a cross of OG and something submitted by RCC with the name "Ghani": https://phylos.bio/sims/variety/PGT-15285/robert-c-clarke/ghani

gonanchoa

No DC submitted to Phylos.

Bubba Kush shows up as a cross of OG and something submitted by RCC with the name "Ghani": https://phylos.bio/sims/variety/PGT-15285/robert-c-clarke/ghani

thanks for the link... (Af-)Ghani? I would appreciate any input from that cultivar

furthermore the "berry" component is there because it is the same afghan used by djshort for his blueberry? So actually the "ghani" should be pure afghani WLD idica and berry should be blueberry or flo (which is part afghani). 🙃

what variety represents "berry"? Still, I don't like cannabis to be classed either as a combination of hemp / landrace / CBD / skunk / og kush / berry... not enough information about them and their origin

🤔

Brother Nature

I've found an interesting 'deep chunk' plant in a pack of "Chunky Balls" seeds from HUBA. It's their repro of Deep Chunk. Definitely has that bud structure and resin that is usually described for DC, but the leaves aren't that fat in flower. They weirdly were a lot fatter in veg. The smell is super unique, it reminds me of a roast chicken cooked with sage and onion stuffing, it's mouth watering really.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

fetch?photoid=18107179.jpg

image widget

M

member 505892

I've found an interesting 'deep chunk' plant in a pack of "Chunky Balls" seeds from HUBA. It's their repro of Deep Chunk. Definitely has that bud structure and resin that is usually described for DC, but the leaves aren't that fat in flower. They weirdly were a lot fatter in veg. The smell is super unique, it reminds me of a roast chicken cooked with sage and onion stuffing, it's mouth watering really.

image widget

I have come across a flavour in some Bubba Kush cross i made that reminds me of a local roast chicken my mum used to buy.

I couldn't pinpoint the actual spice but someone mentioned Rosemary, and i thought no that's not it, but after more comparing it does definitely have Rosemary in the mix.

What is Deep Chunk's usually flavour? Do you know?

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Also I get sometimes berries, muffed black/blueberries or a more sharp raspberry or cherry, and some herby spicy terps too though subdued. You also get individuals that are more incensey, not frankensense but a mild sandlewoody or nag champa mixed with floral notes, like good afghan hash! I had one individual that was like a sweet fruit salad! If you grow a bunch out that come from a chunk line that was not too bottlenecked there is a range of terps though neither pronounced in any aspect of the range, normally a mix of terps, with often a creamy overtone and agree on the mocha or cappucino that can dominate. Though as said there are outliers in the terp dept. I can well imagine a savoury individual coming out. It has those terps in there though sweeter ones over power it in most of them.

Brother nature..that plant looks like a chunk hybrid though, my f1 chunk hybrids look more chunk than that..bud form, petiole length, etc look right though the leaves are way to thin and leaf shape as well as plant shape is hybrid, internode length too long..also resin on pure chunks (and f1 hybrids for that matter) is way more, leaf to calyx ratio in bud is spot on with those single bud leaves but in chunk everything endeds up caked as much as a landrace can get..which is as much as most modern hybrids actually more than most..Chunk when done is like a cabbage plant with these waxy leaves and buds are hidden in these leafy layers..Though leaves aside from fan leaves are caked as much as the bud is, it is bred for hash and not for flowers. Chunk I have found excellent resistance to leaf molds with that waxy thick cuticle, like old school stuff has, a lot of modern stuff has this dull matt leaf surface that begs for powder mold infestation..You have a bit of thrip in that plant which may account for lower resin so could be that..though the waxy leaf not bred out of the chunk yet is pretty unmistakable. The hybrids with sams old skunk male also have that leaf surface and also are PM resistant. Chunk is quite botritus susceptible. That's the characteristics I can recall from growing maybe 20-30 out..Mine were one and two generations removed from original release TH stock.

Brother Nature

Also I get sometimes berries, muffed black/blueberries or a more sharp raspberry or cherry, and some herby spicy terps too though subdued. You also get individuals that are more incensey, not frankensense but a mild sandlewoody or nag champa mixed with floral notes, like good afghan hash! I had one individual that was like a sweet fruit salad! If you grow a bunch out that come from a chunk line that was not too bottlenecked there is a range of terps though neither pronounced in any aspect of the range, normally a mix of terps, with often a creamy overtone and agree on the mocha or cappucino that can dominate. Though as said there are outliers in the terp dept. I can well imagine a savoury individual coming out. It has those terps in there though sweeter ones over power it in most of them.

Brother nature..that plant looks like a chunk hybrid though, my f1 chunk hybrids look more chunk than that..bud form, petiole length, etc look right though the leaves are way to thin and leaf shape as well as plant shape is hybrid, internode length too long..also resin on pure chunks (and f1 hybrids for that matter) is way more, leaf to calyx ratio in bud is spot on with those single bud leaves but in chunk everything endeds up caked as much as a landrace can get..which is as much as most modern hybrids actually more than most..Chunk when done is like a cabbage plant with these waxy leaves and buds are hidden in these leafy layers..Though leaves aside from fan leaves are caked as much as the bud is, it is bred for hash and not for flowers. Chunk I have found excellent resistance to leaf molds with that waxy thick cuticle, like old school stuff has, a lot of modern stuff has this dull matt leaf surface that begs for powder mold infestation..You have a bit of thrip in that plant which may account for lower resin so could be that..though the waxy leaf not bred out of the chunk yet is pretty unmistakable. The hybrids with sams old skunk male also have that leaf surface and also are PM resistant. Chunk is quite botritus susceptible. That's the characteristics I can recall from growing maybe 20-30 out..Mine were one and two generations removed from original release TH stock.

That's a ton of useful info, thanks mate. My thought was that it was a hybrid too, the leaf shape just isn't straight BLD, I'd read somewhere that monkey balls (I'm assuming this line came from that) is a hybrid of DC and something else. You've got a great eye for things, even right down to the thrips haha, had recently moved and managed to get them in the veg tent and a few in the bud room. In anycase I'm excited to see where this one ends up. I have two more phenos I've moved into the flower tent last week and one is similar to the picture above, but the other has more broad crinkled leafs to it. I'm hoping at least one of them gives me that death cabbage type of resin, but we'll see. Thanks for chiming in with your experiences with DC.

LostTribe

Premium user

Is it primarily a couch lock effect wise? I got one of the last packs with Tom's Haze. Actually, one of my THH was probably a DC with the most extreme fatness to the leaves there were pics on the breeders retail thh thread before they deleted it or before the update. I culled it though as it was very squat and wouldnt have made it under the legginess of the THH and I was limited on space. Wish I had kept it now but I still have a pack for safe keeping. Those pics colima posted from Tom's selected plant are obviously super coated in resin heads, but what percentage of plants are this extreme? After reading through this thread and some more info I think it might be worthy of open pollenating.

Heres the pic of the supposed DC that ended up in my pack of THH by accident. They came in similar packaging but as you can see its clearly not an NLD haze. The small seedling next to it was the thh runt that I was not able to motivate. I was impressed with the fat leaves from the DC.
fetch?photoid=17706271.jpg

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yeah LT, that looks like a baby chunk for sure, that aint no THH hahahaha...

I find the effects not too overpowering or couch locky, nice and stoney and dreamy, like good old affie hash.. If I sample individual plants I would guess that there would still be high CBD plants in the line or decent amount of cbd plants in the line..I think it has been open pollinated enough and close enough still the the fields it was colleced from to have the cbd not bred out. Same with purperea tichensis plants I grew out, which was very wild hybrid form and some very resinous but dont get you high plants and very good, novel to modern stuff, terpenes. But I'd say the high is the one thing not locked down in the chunk, as one would be expecting from plants bred for traditional screen hash making. Theres a mix of highs, but I found the resin coating uniform, some even more than others but all have copious amounts of large resin glands, and sugar leaves are as coated as bud. Hybrids with chunk display resin up with the best modern hybrids aka cookies etc. I've seen breeder cut wedding cake grown side by side against random OG and BlueberryOGAffie and other chunk crosses and the OG chunk and blueberryOG affie chunks etc were as or more frosted..and fatter and more colorful and more resistant etc..The chunk resin breeds true in f1's. Obviously lucky with the male chosen, but the hybrids smoked are VERY couch lock, stupor inducing weed funny enough. That said it was OG/cookies/cherry pie hybrids with chunk so it was like an amplification of the OG type high that was in the mother lines..I got my chunk from a member here, very thankful still for them, he had a narrow selection so a bottleneck, and I took all mine and did an open pollination in haste as I had helicopters hovering and warrentless visits just after I had germinated mine, luckily I got no shit and as shit was about to hit the fan, we won in the constitutional court case, and weed was semi legalised here and trouble just dissipated like a cloud of smoke..but first thing I did when I set back up was to take the surviving seedlings and setup a tent and let them just open pollinate and make more seed, along with making some crosses...I still have some seed stashed.. :)

LostTribe

Premium user
Thanks for the response! My favorite old Afghan has to be Maple Leaf Indica which we had around 2001. I had wanted to try and see if Sensi was able to keep that one going as it was pure but still have yet to pull the trigger. I also got some afghan mix from TRSC recently and have a pack BRad sent along with an order from Peshawar near the Khyber Pass. Have to think on this one but if there is something that I like its unadulterated pure strains. This sounds worthy of preserving. I will have to consider it for the fall.

Were you guys saying they have a sort of mocha capuccino flavor? Any other types of smells? Are they strong smelling like a skunk? I appreciate it.
LT

Cloneman

Veteran
Cappuccino or Mocha
Tom sent me the DC seeds with others in 2004 (gratis) bless him ( I even did a PTK project but that's another story).

At the time I described it as smelling like mocha tasting like a cappuccino, making you feel all fuzzy and warm like being back in the womb again...

LostTribe

Premium user
Tom sent me the DC seeds with others in 2004 (gratis) bless him ( I even did a PTK project but that's another story).

At the time I described it as smelling like mocha tasting like a cappuccino, making you feel all fuzzy and warm like being back in the womb again...

That really does remind me of the MLI possibly close cousins. I sort of got a sort of sweet cinamon warm cookie like incense thing going on.

Latest posts

Latest posts