What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

decarbonization times ?

airplane

at what temps and times would ne use for makinf cannbutter ia crock pot ? have heard that one can use the oven to decarb - if so times ? if one uses oven - do you then put in crock pot with melted butter - if so how long 1hr ? or after oven decarb to you add the melted butter ect and then use for making cookies ? ALL information will be greatly apprecited

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
0309221223a.jpg

0309221222a.jpg

These Cannabutter recipes are from the book "Marijuana Cooking, Good Medicine Made Easy" by Bliss Cameron and Veronica Greene. Published in 2005.

0309221220.jpg

This is the Super Easy method. No decarbing called for, although you can if you want to. Been using these recipes for ever.

goingrey

Found this chart online. According to it the best results come at 145C/293F for 7 minutes.

decarboxylation-cannabis-temperature-chart-thc.jpg

Not sure what the data was and surely it will depend on the material and so on. But probably somewhere in the ballpark.

For cooking (or in your case baking I guess) what I do is just put the raw weed in there at the beginning and do the regular cooking of the food in the normal amount of time at the temperature the dish calls for. No additional activation (decarboxylation). Works like a charm.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
at what temps and times would ne use for makinf cannbutter ia crock pot ? have heard that one can use the oven to decarb - if so times ? if one uses oven - do you then put in crock pot with melted butter - if so how long 1hr ? or after oven decarb to you add the melted butter ect and then use for making cookies ? ALL information will be greatly apprecited

Great name!

There is also data that shows 4 hours at 212*F, which is a little less than how long I crock-pot my dope when I am making butter. You add some water (maybe 20% of butter) in with the butter / dope, and stir as it is stewing for the 4+ hours. The water will keep the temp at 212*, as long as it is there in sufficient qty. Also helps with the stirring from the bubble action. Separate the water/butter mix from the mash (I give away the mash cause it still as some butter in it), and put that bowl of liquid in the fridge for a few hours. After the butter solidifies, the water will be dirty, so the butter isn't. I repeat the water butter melt again to further clarify the butter. Scrape the crap that forms on bottom of the butter off with a knife.

When you have your butter made and frozen, and when thawing it and melting it in a coffee cup on the flat-top stove, any THC-A that is still decarbing will show as very fine bubbles. I see a few, but if you do just stir and heat until the fine bubbles are gone, you get it all, and then use more time next time you make butter.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I read that article. Cheesecloth is for losers. Get a screen strainer that just fits into the crock pot, and after the time of stewing is up, press the strainer screen into the mash. Into the inside of the strainer will be flowing clean liquid. Scoop that out with a small plastic measuring cup into the butter bowl. Do that until all that can be retrieved has been retrieved, and add hot water and cook the mash a little longer. The butter will rise to the top, and you get less each time.

BTW, a plastic butter bowl is easier to cut away the butter from the bowl after the butter has solidified in the fridge.

goingrey

There is also data that shows 4 hours at 212*F, which is a little less than how long I crock-pot my dope when I am making butter. You add some water (maybe 20% of butter) in with the butter / dope, and stir as it is stewing for the 4+ hours. The water will keep the temp at 212*, as long as it is there in sufficient qty. Also helps with the stirring from the bubble action. Separate the water/butter mix from the mash (I give away the mash cause it still as some butter in it), and put that bowl of liquid in the fridge for a few hours. After the butter solidifies, the water will be dirty, so the butter isn't. I repeat the water butter melt again to further clarify the butter. Scrape the crap that forms on bottom of the butter off with a knife.

When you have your butter made and frozen, and when thawing it and melting it in a coffee cup on the flat-top stove, any THC-A that is still decarbing will show as very fine bubbles. I see a few, but if you do just stir and heat until the fine bubbles are gone, you get it all, and then use more time next time you make butter.

I'm guessing the 4 hours is for lowest THCA and not max THC? Because the THC starts to degrade at some point (at a faster rate than THCA is decarboxylized). Can't see from the above graph when at the lower temps. OTOH some THC degradation may be wanted because people say its products like CBN contribute to a more "narcotic" high.

airplane

Found this chart online. According to it the best results come at 145C/293F for 7 minutes.

Not sure what the data was and surely it will depend on the material and so on. But probably somewhere in the ballpark.

For cooking (or in your case baking I guess) what I do is just put the raw weed in there at the beginning and do the regular cooking of the food in the normal amount of time at the temperature the dish calls for. No additional activation (decarboxylation). Works like a charm.

thanks for the chart - been looking for this chart for years (at least 8) it was posted way back when _____ Thanks !!! this will answer allmy questions Peace (( is there any more infor from that oirginal post ?

airplane

I'm guessing the 4 hours is for lowest THCA and not max THC? Because the THC starts to degrade at some point (at a faster rate than THCA is decarboxylized). Can't see from the above graph when at the lower temps. OTOH some THC degradation may be wanted because people say its products like CBN contribute to a more "narcotic" high.

have to find that publication

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor

mexweed

Veteran
so is thc more robust to heat when it is in the butter similar to how dry heat much above 140f destroys mescaline but you can boil a cactus in water (aqueous heat) and it's fine, because most all cookie recipes call for 350f, when I have done it I simmered the ethanol extract for 30 mins at 200f and then baked whatever I was making at 250f for longer than the box called for obviously, they were caramel turtle brownies and they came out really strong a couple of my buddies split one for one of the new star wars movies and they thought it was a bit much and had to step outside to chill for a bit lol, I think I used 2.5g or 3g of the shatter for a single 8x8 batch

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I cook my cookies at 365*F, and they work just fine. I put over a quart of ABV and a handfull of dope in with 2 pounds of butter and some water. Basically water, 2 pounds of butter, a quart of ABV, and as much shake/bud as I can fit in the crock pot. The stiff stinks up the house, so I call it "stinky stew".

airplane

I cook my cookies at 365*F, and they work just fine. I put over a quart of ABV and a handfull of dope in with 2 pounds of butter and some water. Basically water, 2 pounds of butter, a quart of ABV, and as much shake/bud as I can fit in the crock pot. The stiff stinks up the house, so I call it "stinky stew".

ever hear this _ when baking with marijuana don't use high baking temps because it will destroy the thc ? for get what they recommend or at what temp + they are talking about

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Is the THC destroyed when partaking in a bowl or doobie? Don't you worry about that recipe I give you working.

Add the green butter at the rate the recipe calls for, 1/2 cup for mine. I heat shavings of frozen green butter in a coffee cup, filled to 1/2 cup.. I use Betty Crocker Snickerdoodles, 3/4-1" balls frozen almost, cooked on a double layer pan 11+ mins at 365*F in my oven, until the color is right.

here is the tip: I add a tsp of organic sunflower lechithin to the 1/2 cup of butter the bag of cookie mix calls for, after the tiny bubbles are gone when heating the frozen butter back to a liquid. Get it almost hot enough to make big bubbles, which is too far. What you want is tiny bubbles. Let the butter cool some, so it doesn't cook the dough when you pour it in. I add a TBSP each baking soda and baking powder to the mix. Makes the cookies fluffier. The Lechithin helps too, but also with blood/brain barrier.

Principante8

I read that article. Cheesecloth is for losers. Get a screen strainer that just fits into the crock pot, and after the time of stewing is up, press the strainer screen into the mash. Into the inside of the strainer will be flowing clean liquid. Scoop that out with a small plastic measuring cup into the butter bowl. Do that until all that can be retrieved has been retrieved, and add hot water and cook the mash a little longer. The butter will rise to the top, and you get less each time.

BTW, a plastic butter bowl is easier to cut away the butter from the bowl after the butter has solidified in the fridge.

Man I have myself such grief when I was using cheesecloth. My favorite method is to use bubblebags like for making ice hash. When I bought them 20 years ago they were like $250 but the last set I got from Amazon for maybe $20. I can't remember what size but if I do recall correctly it's the largest one in the set of 3.

I haven't made a crockpot of butter for years but when I've made hundreds back in the day. I used to cook for 12 hours with one pound of fan leaves and trim mixed together and I'd add 12 sticks of butter and 10 cups of water. Stir once or twice an hour of possible but probably not needed.

After it was ready I'd put on some rubber insolated gloves and pour the hot mix through the bubble bag into a food grade five gallon bucket. You can squeeze as hard as you want and it takes five minutes at most. Cheesecloth took me probably 2- 4 hours for the same result. After it's strained I put it back in the crock pot and into the freezer until hard. Once frozen I pull it out of the freezer and cut the ice off of the bottom. Then I add maybe 6 cups of water and it all goes into the oven at the lowest temperature. Once it's liquid again I put it back in the freezer. Once frozen scrape ice again and add water, back in the oven.. Repeat. So three times in the oven usually did it for me. You'll know it's ready when you melt it in a pan and there's no remaining tiny reddish brown spots. After this process the butter is super clean and barely smells or tastes like weed at all but is incredibly potent. It will also store muuuuuuuch longer than butter that hasn't been rinsed. No buds or hash needed. Just the throwaway product.

I'm pretty far from a professional but when there was a few dozen dispensaries in South OC I supplied a handful of them with edibles which most just gave away to first time customers. I was selling a couple thousand treats a week for maybe 10-12 months but during that short time I received many compliments on the clean taste. Now days you won't find many butter based products because it's too hard to accurately measure cannabinoid content but the oil based edibles never really do it for me the way using leaves did. The potency is there but the feeling seems to be different.

Anyways, good luck to everyone out there I hope my experience, as limited as it is, can be of help to whomever may need it.

Latest posts

Latest posts