What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Death Bubba history

i.love.scotch

Does anyone know the actual history or lineage of Death Bubba?

I see many sources say it was made by Matteo Suleyman of the Sea to Sky dispensary and is Bubba x Death Star

There is also the guy behind Grandmaster Level lights who seems well reputed in the industry being credited as the creator of Death Bubba.

Perhaps they are the same person? I have no idea.

Just curious if anyone has any history, tales, input.

The reason I ask is because Covert Valley Cannabis, a legal nursery is sellling clones at retail stores here in BC. I don't normally use clones, I prefer to pop seeds but I just really want to go to a brick and mortar store and buy a living cannabis plant legally (and recreationally). To me that just seems like a landmark moment for some reason. And this nursery seems to be pretty on the ball, so I'm not too worried about any pests or other nasties coming along with it. Their business2business name is LifeCycle Botanics and they seem to be respected within the Licensed Producer space as a solid nursery.

Anyway, most of their offerings are modern polyhybrid Cookies type stuff which doesn't super interest me, but they also offer "Original" Death Bubba. They call it the farmers cut, the original cut, and also the GML (Grandmaster Level) cut. I would certainly enjoy a good Death Bubba cut in my stable, but I'm questioning the provenance of this cut since I've seen some pictures where it doesn't look like Death Bubba at all really.

Last edited:

i.love.scotch

The main source of my confusion is around very different looking bud structures from different sources of pictures of this GML Death Bubba.

So here is a screenshot from a video from Grandmaster Level himself showing Death Bubba growing. I would say this looks like legit Death Bubba. And this is obviously the GML cut, since he's the guy posting. It's a bad pic but you can see it's very Kush looking and very spikey. Very Bubba look to the bud structure.

Screenshot_20240111-181645~2.png

So I'm like sweet, this GML Death Bubba is legit and I certainly want it in my garden.

Add to that, the picture on the Covert Valley site looks bang on for Death Bubba

Screenshot_20240111-181724~2.png

But then! Vic Canna Co posted a pic today of a tester cut of the GML Death Bubba from LifeCycle Botanics (Covert Valley, same source as the retail cut I'm looking to buy) and it looks nothing like Death Bubba. Even the Canadian legend Direwolf.OG chimed in to mention that part
Screenshot_20240111-181705~2.png

The bud structure looks way off to me. Too rounded and the leaf structure is more Cookies like.

So I was like damn, I guess they don't have the real cut. Bummer.

But then! I found an old YouTube of someone growing 'GML' Death Bubba and it looks like the Vic Canna Co structure. So I'm really so confused by all of this to be honest.

Screenshot_20240111-181606~2.png

My most reasonable assumption would be that they are actually all the same cut and perhaps it just responds to certain fertigation methods or nutrient strengths with a strong change in its bud shape? But I've seen a tonne of Death Bubba in my day and never seen it with those rounded Cookie kind of stacks.

To be honest it looks like the Covert Valley Platinum Cookies picture. So I was like oh maybe they just sent the wrong cut out. But then how to explain the guy 4 years ago that was posting 'GML' Death Bubba that looks that way too??

My other assumption (if they are the same cut) is it could be light spectrum making a difference. In the Grand Master Level video he is trying 3 different spectrums of LED on different tables and there are some noticeable differences in the bud structure for sure. Noting like we see here I'd say but moving in that direction for sure perhaps.

In the end I'll just grow the damn thing and find out for myself. But basically this just sent me on a big rabbit hole down the history of Death Bubba and I found there isn't really that much out there. Hence this thread! 😁

Last edited:
I’ve also been looking deep into this and applying for my ACMPR licence so I can go thru covert valley . Have you attained the cut yet or planning to ? , I have my medical and the paperwork filled out just need to send it off to health Canada .

i.love.scotch

I’ve also been looking deep into this and applying for my ACMPR licence so I can go thru covert valley . Have you attained the cut yet or planning to ? , I have my medical and the paperwork filled out just need to send it off to health Canada .

Nah I got busy and haven't contacted them yet. I do plan to try them out. I generally don't take cuts and only pop seeds but I figure if I were to get cuts from anyone, the safest would be a licensed nursery with in house HLVd testing. Can't go wrong really. To apply for their medical program their form only asks for a copy of your medical document, so I'm not sure if you actually need your Health Canada license in hand yet

jessethestoner

Here John Berfelo does a interview where he and the guest go over the history of death bubba, originally called death by bubba apparently