What's new

Dang it dumb pen

Starmstr

So I'm sure it has happened to even the best of us but last round half of the tags are faded so bad I cant read them. Got any fool proof tips to help an ol fella out? Their all jarred separate so no biggie to me butt..

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-Sharpie on masking tape on the lid & the jar.

-Attention to handling, noting NOT to grab label.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I also put a tag inside the jar, markings down, on the bottom.

Edit: if you're talking about tags on plants I use a permanent Sharpie.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I did the same thing with some clones not too long ago. I had to throw them all out.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
"Sharpie Extreme Fade Resistant" is used because all stages have UV and this pen holds the darkness.

What is written on makes a HUGE difference. Wooden clothes pins need a sharp sharpie to fit the words and numbers. Post-It notes on a toothpick pole need a strip of clear tape over the ink. Jiffy pots soak up a lot of ink and have poor contrast. Plastic strip tags need a stem to go around.
When styrofoam cups were used for clones the info would be written around the top rim. At transplant the rim would be razored off and put around the seedling, where it would remain irremovable until harvest.

I notice a large percentage of responses prefer Sharpie's, I wish to join that group.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I write on labels, stick them on, and then put masking tape over the label so water never touches them.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use freezer tape (basically it's masking tape, ie the yellowish paper type tape) with Sharpies.

Stays legible for a long time. Stays stuck on the container/jar, yet still removable without ripping or leaving a bunch of adhesive behind.

waveguide

Veteran
pencil :D i figured you meant more, tips on how to read what you wrote. like, use some kind of substance to make the residual ink more discernable. sleuth powder. maybe acid would enhance your vision enough. maybe a blacklight or the moonlight. laser pointers on acid on the moon. but that might harm the seed. animals could see it i bet. you could describe the shape of the letters and they could nod.