What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing in jars

Wprior100

I have harvested my first crop and dried it by hanging in the garage with a fan and a small heater until the stem snapped instead of bending. When I trimmed and put it into jars to cure I have a humidity inside the jars of 46% according to some small digital hygrometers.
My question is should I still be burping my jars when the humidity is at only 46% or should I monitor and burp if the humidity goes up? And if so what level should I start burping at?

grayeyes

I would keep an eye on it and open it and smell. God knows you worked hard enough to get it. So a sniff here or there could stop the ammonia thing fast. You don't want that.

Enjoy!

StickyBandit

Seems a little dry to me. I normally burp them to bring the humidity down! I was understanding it should never go below ~55% or you may lose terps
You could consider trying to get them close to RH of 60% with the sachets or leave the jar open if room humidity is higher
One thing to look out for is the humidity meters don't always agree with each other
I bring mine down slowly and jar up ABOVE 60% then burp to bring down slowly
Once I'm at 60% I put it in zip bags and place in a sealed plastic bucket in a cool place. It may go up a little to 61 or 62 but that's how I find it keeps the best. Others freeze it when it's how they like it but nothing around here needs to worry about being kept too long :p

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When in doubt burp them. Never take a chance even to jars you think are ok. Check them from time to time until the weed is gone. 😎

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I have found the perfect storage RH to be just around 60-65% RH, around 60% best for long term storage and 55% pefect for smoking it. But I also found out most RH meters are crap and way off.
Do they smoke well, or seem too dry? When you open the jar, is it nice smelling and feels a bit humid, or more like dried cut grass/dusty smell?
Do buds feel a bit elastic or they start to crumble as soon as you touch them?
Trust your senses! You may have overdried them, but that's just a lesson on what not to do next time. Rehidrating them could help a bit with smoking qualities, the boveda packs (2 way control ones) can help you add a bit of moisture back without overdoing it. But getting the harvest slow and steady to the target RH is the best for smoking experience.

Latest posts

Latest posts