What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Creating more tricomes

Be green

I have been reading up on last 2/3 weeks of flowering that if I can keep humidity below 30% it causes plants as defence create more resin and tricones has any got experience in this matter I would be greatly appreciated for you wealth of knowledge
kind regards
dal

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
They say that can help and also the lowering of the temp shift between lights on and lights off, also they say introducing the appropriate wave lengths of ultraviolet light can make a difference. All of which is based on the properties of the resin and what it does for the plant.

Now I've tried to do the first two a couple of times and it did appear like there were more trichomes. I did not however try the ultraviolet light one because I couldn't find the right kind of UV light in a strength and wavelength that would do any good that I could afford and then there is the potential risk of skin cancer if the grower becomes exposed to the UV light for too long and so I just decided that the UV light thing just wasn't worth the risk and if I wanted to add that to the equation I should just grow outdoors. Of course if you grow outdoors then it becomes more difficult to control the humidity or the temperature shifts.

Now as I said, it did seem like I achieved a denser coat of resin playing with the humidity and the temperature but in the end after it was dried, cured and smoked I didn't notice any marked improvement in the smoke which then begs the question is it worth to try any of these things? The logic is there given the role the resin plays for the plant in protecting it from the environment but just because it can provide extra protection doesn't mean there will be a marked improvement to the nature of the resin to justify the effort and or potential risks to push it to any extremes. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, you may find it at least a fun experiment to try I'm just saying it may not give you the extra bang for your buck that you might be looking for? To be fair I only tried it with a couple of strains before I came to my conclusion and those strains already produced a nice coat of resin without pushing the limits so it may be possible that some strains would benefit where others might not?

Last edited:

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I have been reading up on last 2/3 weeks of flowering that if I can keep humidity below 30% it causes plants as defence create more resin and tricones has any got experience in this matter I would be greatly appreciated for you wealth of knowledge
kind regards
dal
Stress can cause trichomes to grow, but I doubt resin will develop.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

I have found a great UV fixture and bulb that is in the right wavelength and intensity to realise the resin. I use it the last 4 weeks of flower for 2 hours a day mid cycle. Amount of resin, aroma and potency is much higher on the clones i flower now. You can have a look it’s a migro UV310 and from a great company in Ireland. There are vids on YouTube he does as well. Over here in the U.K. GW Pharmaceutical are using UV supplementation to increase resin yields on their Cannabis for medicinal use.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The trichomes are produced to keep the calyx from drying out or attacks from pests and serve as a defense mechanism.. Low due point and low humidity could dry out the seed coat and embryo if it weren't for the trichomes. The dryer it is, the more protection the plant needs. If you look at the plant's origins you would see the plants that have the most resin are the plants from the dryer regions. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
What makes the difference between Hemp and Marijuana​

Resin Trichomes are used by the plant to protect and preserve the calyx as long as it can while waiting for pollen.. When a plant produces pistils it's basically producing sexually stimulated hormones that are highly stimulated. As the pistil ages, there is desperation experienced by the plant from not getting pollen. The plant is horny as hell and wants and needs sex badly for reproduction. I guess a good example would be a 40-year-old that could never get sex. Out of desperation, the plant will try to preserve the empty calyx as long a possible with trichomes or resin. As time passes and the plants don’t get pollen over time, out of desperation they fool themselves and pretend they have seed by swelling fat after the pistil withered.😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
. When the calyx swells without pollen it tries to protect the empty seed pod out of desperation. All of this is time-related and with changes from the photoperiod and light intensity from the environment as Winter gets near. The whole resin thing is caused by this hormonal phenomenon in a last-ditch effort to save itself and reproduce. In the very last phase of the plant's life, the Cannabinoids turn into something that may harm anything that is athreat to its weakest state. . THC! The buds have to “SET FAT” with empty seed bracks, for a while, and If I pick the weed before this process then will not get the last phase of Cannabinoid THC!

Hemp gets pollen and has no threats to reproduction and has no need to protect the
plant embryo so its growth production goes to stem and seed. Every generation hemp has inbred security repeated until the hemp genetics are dialed into stem and seed making with no threats.. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
At each bud site, there is a major leaf with a petiole extended from the node. Late in flowering after the buds are formed, these major leaves will signal to the plant a threat is occurring. Gently holding back water or nutrients, in the end, will cause a natural leaf drop, and can produce more potent resin if done correctly.

After not getting pollen, the calyx will swell fat and try to preserve its self with resin. Later when the leaf drops naturally due to stress, it will signal to the plant more danger and produce even more resin. At that point, the cannabinoids will also respond by increasing the THC content for more protection. After a true natural leaf drop, the plant is done.😎

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Tom, I see what you said, so genetics will always dictate thc per cent.

So more trichs just distributes the thc to more sites, no increase is base potency.

Is there anything the grower can do to increase trich development/potency on any given plant.

Terps can be manipulated, and perception of effect is then apparent.

But.

Genetically speaking, there is no way that increasing trichs will increase potency.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Would you share, tho, if you were there running a bussiness.
Some research papers to find, maybe, if we are lucky? I seen some led manufacturers added uv to their light, so there must be some new research or something.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
so genetics will always dictate thc per cent.
Gotta grow it out properly, conditions will have an effect on it reaching full potential, there's Hayze and there's the good shit. Plant has to be able to do it's thing. To the degree the plant is able to perform its functions is its ability to produce THC and everything that goes along with it.

Three Berries

I had a grow that the trics were all over the plant even the main stem down to the soil. I did three days of darkness and thought that did it. Tried to repeat that and it did not. But the first time was in winter and the air would be very dry.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
2 decades of growing near 20% RH and sub 70F says you can duplicate the super frosty. Minimal support structure, maximum trichome density.

Sticky stems always, but visible frost?... Not yet for me.

Ca++

Would you share, tho, if you were there running a bussiness.
Some research papers to find, maybe, if we are lucky? I seen some led manufacturers added uv to their light, so there must be some new research or something.

GH sold out 18 months ago. The operation carries on though, which is under glass.

This must be old news. Recent news is not to bother. I would still like to see the article though. Which I have tried to find, but they have seen. Which might mean it's in their history.

So many of us have visited UV supplementation, and seen no gain. I'm happy to listen though. Current understanding suggests his green yield is lower, but resin yield unaffected. Giving more frost per bud. Flavour profile differences should be insignificant.

I myself have run uv 3 times. Always tubes as LED UV is a joke. Though the corona virus has pushed it forward a long way.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
kind regards
dal
Hairy foliage, deterring herbivores, protecting against weather extremes, and repelling competing plants with herbicides- plants achieve all this and more using hairline structures called trichomes on their leaves, stems and flower buds.
Trichomes obstruct insects trying to feed or lay eggs, and may secrete toxins to defend themselves. Some plants with trichomes inject irritating chemicals into the skin of mammals, as a warning to stay away.

Defense against the elements,
A silky layer of hairlike trichomes help a plant cope with drought. The hairs trap moisture next to the leaves and deflect the wind, minimizing evaporation, while the silver color reflects excessive light and heat from the sun.

Trichomes, cover the leaves, stems, and flower buds, insulting them from frost and heat. A dense forest of trichomes makes it difficult for insects to move through the mass of hairs to feed on the leaf.

Glandular Trichomes, these excrete compounds with antimicrobial properties to help keep the plant disease-free. The Velvet effect, has purple trichomes that contain anthocyanin pigments. These pigments protect the usually shaded leaves from bright flashes of sunlight.
Peace farmerlion
16591276218437390737733580445193.jpg
16591276501474150084688376155941.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm sure my yields would go up if I kept humidity higher till the last few weeks of flower. The down side is this also increases vegetative growth and I don't like the main stem of my flowers to have branches. Again, it's more 'support structure' and not more trichome density. (opposite direction of what you're looking for)

Latest posts

Latest posts