What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cornfield Bust (Rural IL)

sikk_widit

Rural couple arrested in Thawville pot bust
By Will Brumleve
Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:26 AM CDT

RURAL THAWVILLE – More than 2,000 marijuana plants with a street value exceeding $1 million were seized from a farm south of Thawville, and a man and his wife were arrested, authorities said.

Michael Crowley, 57, and his wife, Julie Crowley, 55, of rural Thawville, were each charged with unlawful possession with intent to deliver 30 to 500 grams of marijuana and unlawful manufacturing of more than 200 marijuana plants, both felonies.

Iroquois County Sheriff Eldon Sprau, who assigned the dollar value to the plants, said they were discovered in a field farmed by the Crowleys, who listed an address on Iroquois County Road 1000 North.

About 10 investigators from the sheriff's office and Drug Enforcement Administration seized the plants Friday, after the DEA contacted the sheriff's office last Wednesday, saying the DEA had received a tip about a marijuana-growing operation in rural Thawville, Sprau said.

A subsequent aerial search was conducted Wednesday by the DEA and Friday by the sheriff's office, Sprau said.

"Then we went and talked to the Crowleys and were able to get a search warrant for not only the field, but their house and an outbuilding," Sprau said.

An undisclosed amount of cash and other items were seized from a safe in the home, Sprau said.

The plants were found in a field 20 to 25 rows wide and 530 yards long, a press release said.

Sprau said investigators believe others may have been involved with the marijuana-cultivation operation, and an investigation continues. Sprau said he did not know how long the operation had been going on, or where the drugs were being shipped or sold.

Michael Crowley has three charges against him, the unlawful possession with intent to deliver 30 to 500 grams of cannabis, which Iroquois County State's Attorney James Devine said deals with finished and packaged product found on the premises. The unlawful manufacturing of cannabis sativa plants more than 200 plants, Devine said, deals with the plants that were growing on the property. The third count, manufacturing and dealing cannabis more than 5,000 grams, which is a class x felony. That charge, Devine said, deals with the plants themselves as a finished product and represent more than 5,000 grams of cannabis.

Michael Crowley remains at the Iroquois County Jail in Watseka on a $250,000 bond, while his wife has been released after posting the required 10 percent of her $250,000 bond.

doc4aa6a08cde325261091796.jpg

bpt420

I feel like I always see "after police received a tip". I know the person getting busted won't find out who the tip came from, but do police have to give proof they got a tip?

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I had a patch in a cornfield about half that size with only 125 plants - 30 years ago, scary shit bringing that harvest in, hehe. These folks were greedy, you can not grow in a field in this state, in most counties. They have too much arial survelance, and cameras. They show it on tv news every summer. Greedy don't work round he'ya.
H

hamstring

Veteran
So finding plants on your property allows them to search your house even Ag zoned property?

That being said do they get a warrant every time the see a grow in a cornfield or was CI the reason they got the warrant?

79towncar

I feel like I always see "after police received a tip". I know the person getting busted won't find out who the tip came from, but do police have to give proof they got a tip?

A witness is one thing.. But a tip.. Thats alittle fuzzy.. But the defense can ask the state to bring forth any withness.. But a tip is different.. Especially an annonymous tip... But since they spotted the plants doing a fly-by I doubt he will ever find out who "tipped" the police off..

pugnacious

Everytime I hear its a tip for a indoor grow I assume its the electric company if the electricity is stolen. Any other situation I really believe it was either a random snitch or a snitch that they personally know.

Poor folks. Man I hope they gets a light sentence. Hard time for someone his age over something like this would be a damn shame.

FarmerFramer

Old Story but if any of y'all are interested. I have the follow up. I was their neighbor growing up and I always figured Mike and Julie Were stoners. (Julie was my Sunday school teacher. LMAO). Anyhoo. Mike is a legit farmer and has been for my entire life. His dad lives right up the road and they put in work. Mike once told me, "farming is a game of perpetual debt". That is the WHY he had the mass going. He was operating for some cartel member in either Onarga or Gilman. those towns host a LOT of South American immigrants due to the Jobs at what was Once Bork Nurseries. He was eventually sentenced to a whopping 6 months and ordered to pay a $40,000 fine. Now. Here's the kicker. Had he been anyone but a prominent farmer in my neck of the woods, He'd have been hit with the class X and would STILL be in jail rotting as his operation was so large. They've gone legal but throughout all the promises and blanket media release bullshit, they have done very little to help those that they wrongly locked-up. The only people getting licenses are the wealthy, not the ex-cons. Crowley is one of those people. . .They lie in every state to get it legalized so they can make money off of the shit, they don't do anything to help the pros that have done it for decades on a shoelace. They just go straight to the rich and us on the bottom, well, we stay here.