What's new

Cooling HPS bulb decrease light output

positive_vibes

I’ve read here that cooling too much hid bulbs could reduce light output, especially with 400v bulbs.

Does this phenomenon happens significantly also with normal 240v bulbs?

How much does this phenomenon affects the output of a common 600w hps (eg. Lumatek)?

Does someone provide a maximum airflow to set to limits the losses?

Edit n.1
Surfing on the internet I’ve found this useful video.

At the same distance, 1000w MH bulb emitted
- 550 umol/s when not cooled
-515 umol/s when cooled

Actually you will get the hood closer to the plants so you can get 640 umol/s.
It’s way better keep it cool&near instead of get it far&hot, we should be careful in winter where input airflow could be too much cold.

I hope this will be helpful to someone.

Last edited:

WingzHauser

Even if it does, it's still better than burning the hell your plants. I don't think it's an issue because if you have to use air-cooled it shouldn't matter. Keeping the plant canopy cool is much more important than a losing few lost lumens.

Except, some really good herb is grown in the desert with no AC.

Calcium boron potassium zinc magnesium all play a role. Every case of "light/heat burn" is a deficiency in one of those 5 elements. They each have very distinct set of telltale signs. Leaf folding, margin chloros, clawing/deformity, dark veins, etc. All labeled "too much light" by the cannabis community.

Georgia Vargas

I’ve read here that cooling too much hid bulbs could reduce light output, especially with 400v bulbs.

Does this phenomenon happens significantly also with normal 240v bulbs?

How much does this phenomenon affects the output of a common 600w hps (eg. Lumatek)?

Does someone provide a maximum airflow to set to limits the losses?

Edit n.1
Surfing on the internet I’ve found this useful video.

At the same distance, 1000w MH bulb emitted
- 550 umol/s when not cooled
-515 umol/s when cooled

Actually you will get the hood closer to the plants so you can get 640 umol/s.
It’s way better keep it cool&near instead of get it far&hot, we should be careful in winter where input airflow could be too much cold.
Mod APK apktome helps you discover and experience thousands of free game apps.
I hope this will be helpful to someone.

I find it ineffective

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

Except, some really good herb is grown in the desert with no AC.

Calcium boron potassium zinc magnesium all play a role. Every case of "light/heat burn" is a deficiency in one of those 5 elements. They each have very distinct set of telltale signs. Leaf folding, margin chloros, clawing/deformity, dark veins, etc. All labeled "too much light" by the cannabis community.
I’m curious how they deal with 120* ambient temps and terpene breakdown.