What's new

Cooking with Concentrates

woojay

I have learned, through many conversations, nothing solid about how to use concentrates for infusions.

I am new to making my own edibles, so forgive me if my questions seem nubish.

Here are some of my questions:

Is it possible to infuse products with concentrates? If so, what kind of concentrates are the best for infusions?

How do you decarb concentrates? If you even need too...

How does quantity of product change when infusing with concentrates compared to infusing with flower?

I look forward to everyone's advice.

Thank you,

woojay

woojay

A lot of people viewed but I never got an answer. So I figured I'd do some experimenting.

1st experiment:

3 grams Mob Boss Shatter that "tested" at 66%THC
5 Tablespoons of honey
1 Tablespoon of lecithin

First, I prepared my crock pot by filling it with a little bit of water, placing a washcloth on the bottom, and placing the heat on warm.

Then, I decarboxylated the shatter by putting it on parchment paper, on a Pyrex dish in the oven at 225f for about 25 minutes.

While decarboxylating the shatter, I placed the honey and lecithin into a small mason jar and set it in the crock pot to warm up.

After decarboxylating was "complete" I transferred the shatter directly into the honey and stirred until my utensil was free of any remaining shatter.

I let the honey sit in the crock pot for 4 hours. Periodically stirring the mixture and making sure the temperature didn't go too far over 180f. It did once register a temperature of 188f so i took it out for a few minutes to cool down.

After 4 hours, the mixture looked like regular honey, but had a heavy cannabis smell. I sealed it and put it in the cabinet.

I let the honey sit over night to see if there would be any separation issues, but the next morning it looked just as it did when I pulled it out of the crock pot.

I put a tiny bit of it on a piece of toast for breakfast and felt pretty baked during my afternoon workout. I put a tablespoon on a batch of chicken fajitas (secret recipe) and my roommates claim to of felt it.

Please let me know if you have some feedback on my experiment. I am still very new to using concentrates for infusions, so any amount of feedback is appreciated.

Did I infuse the shatter correctly?
Did I decarb the shatter correctly?
Do my times need adjusting?
Do my temperatures need adjusting?
Is there a better way?

I will be conducting more as funds become available to me and I research a little more.

DemonTrich

Veteran
Sugars can't combine with thc/cbd. Like above, need a fat (butter or oil) to get the thc/cbd infused, then add that to your recipe.

I ONLY use extracts for edibles. Been making them.for 4+yrs with excellent results every time. I make 3-4 dozen a month every month.