What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Computer/networking dudes, need assistance

G

Guywithoutajeep

So I have wifi card connected to router #1. I plug router #2 into the same computer with the wifi card and I lose internet. How can I fix this conflict?

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Depends on what Operating System you are using, if using Windows Vista/7 etc you will have to disable your Wi-Fi connection because it will cause conflicts within your OS, it doesn't like 2 active network connections. Hope this helps :)
What is the other router for?? Internet too?? Why are 2 routers connected to the computer??

G

Guywithoutajeep

Yeah I'm using vista, but have used multiple connections many times before. I think I just need to adjust some settings.

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
CMD in start menu

ipconfig/release then reset router then ipconfig/renew wait then check connection...:joint: try that....

C

cyberwax

To utilize two internet connections(if thats what you have) you need a router with dual wan inputs/ports...or get a linux distro, ubuntu comes to mind.

kp^

So I have wifi card connected to router #1. I plug router #2 into the same computer with the wifi card and I lose internet. How can I fix this conflict?

This really does not make sense...... But lets see if I can figure it out...

So you have a wireless card plugged in/active/enabled etc.. And you plug in a wired connection and it drops?

Windows does not like 2 active connections... more so Vista... ew The OS gets confused as to what interface you want to use etc...

You have a wifi card? What type? Connected to what type of router#1? Whats router#?

You could set both as static IP's, set the metric on each NIC say 10 and 20.. for primary and secondary... That should work.... :joint:

GIve us some more details and will be happy to help! :joint:

G

Guywithoutajeep

Ok I will explain fully...

I have a wifi card in my desktop that connects to a router upstairs. This upstairs is used by my roommate (where his router and modem are connected to internet.)

I also have a Ps3 that I would like to have connect to my desktop via the Ps3 wireless connection. I tried ad hoc with a seperate usb wifi, but unfortunately the Ps3 does not support ad hoc. So the only way is to put a router on my desktop and connect the Ps3 to that. Why you ask?

I want to access the Ps3 Media Server so I can stream audio files and transfer things back and forth. Then I can switch the Ps3 over to the upstairs router whenever I want to play video games (Mw2 fuck yeah). Yes I could do it all through his router, but it just doesn't work too well on a standard router with all that data flow. Things get sloppy and its best to keep the Ps3 Media Server seperate.

Also, I'm fucking baked so I hope I explained it right.

G

Guywithoutajeep

Changing the metric value caused the wifi to take priority so I have both devices plugged and going. Thanks anyways guys.

WeedWizard

What you can do, and this will work.

Choose a router you want to be master or main, simply bridge connection from router 2 to the master. Depending on which routers you have, the setup will be diffrent, but this will work.

Latest posts

Latest posts