What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Columbian Punto Rojo vs Columbian Gold effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Durban Poison Rosin......:smoke:
Durban Poison Rosin a.jpg
Durban Poison Rosin b.jpg

Durban Poison Rosin d.jpg.jpeg

Durban Poison Rosin.jpg

RMS

:smoweed:

Last edited:

Gry

The vintage Columbian thread left me with the hope that the genetics we once experienced may still exist.
Still remember the taste and flavor of the various Columbian strains like it was yesterday.
On one hand I want to believe the strains still exist, but on the other hand, one would sure think that some one
would have put them out the on the market and think it would get around pretty quickly.

ost

IIRC the Strain Hunters Colombia episode had Punta Rojo and and Mangobiche. Both of those were released by Cannabiogen in the past and are currently available from TLT. TLT also has a Colombian called Llanera.

All of those are very long flowering and not very indoor friendly. Probably not what most GHS customers are looking for. They have recently released some landrace Swazi crosses though so I guess the "strain hunting" is not just for the camera (which would also be fine).
@goinggrey who is TLT?

OldCoolSativa

I smoked a fair amount of Colombian weed in the 1970s. I only ran across three varieties. Most of it was simply called "Colombian." Maybe some was punto rojo, but if it was I wasn't told. It had that classic earthy woody Colombian aroma, which I've been able to replicate indoors with a couple CBG punto rojo x mangobiche (puntobiche) crosses. Most of the Colombian back then (at least on the USA east coast) was brown, potent, and the high was fairly predictable...crept up on you, then a few hours of good buzz then it made you sleepy. Some batches were better than others, of course. When I first started smoking in 1974 an ounce of Mexican reefer was $20, while an ounce of Colombian was $40. The Colombian was at least twice as good, so that's what I bought when it was available.

I came across Colombian gold on three occasions. The first was right after Christmas 1975 in the Florida Keys when my cousin scored a bunch of Colombian gold. A Colombian freighter was parked off the then 12-mile limit, and smaller boats were running loads onto shore. The Coast Guard caught on and the cargo was dumped and the boats headed out to sea. My cousin was/is a fisherman and one of his pals hauled in a bail of Colombian gold. They called it sea weed, not an unusual thing in the Keys at that time. I distinctly remember going for a walk on the beach with him and he rolled a joint which we smoked. It was definitely more exotic than most of what I had tried before, buds of pure golden yellow, incredibly euphoric high, and a more incensey aroma and taste on top of the earthy/woody Colombian I was used to. It was the second-best weed I had smoked up to that point (best was a small bag of trip weed we scored in earlier in 1974 or 1975). I came across Colombian gold again in 1978 in Dallas, and it was as good as I remembered it. I ordered a bag of it which took a while to score and when I did it was still Colombian gold, but it was the most heavily seeded bag of weed I ever bought. Seriously, at least 2/3 of the bag weight was seed. I was pissed but I was still happy to get Colombian gold. I never saw it again after 1978.

The last batch of Imported Colombian I ever got was in 1980. I was visiting a high school friend at Harvard University and some dude knocked on his dorm room door and asked if we wanted to buy some Colombian sinsemilla. My friend fronted me some money and I scored a quarter pound which I put in my suitcase for my flight back to Texas. I had never seen Colombian sinsemilla before or since, but it was definitely Colombian with the classic aroma, although maybe a bit more dank. The buds were small, pretty dense, and very dark brown. It had a good flavor but it was the most cough inducing weed I ever smoked. One half hit from a bong and you'd violently cough for a couple minutes. It was devastatingly potent, and very narcotic in effect. It was legendary in the small East Texas college town where I sold most of it for unheard of prices. I had people asking me for months if I could get more. It was so much better than the Oaxacan schwag we routinely smoked. Maybe it was an early hybrid?

achille

Veteran
The vintage Columbian thread left me with the hope that the genetics we once experienced may still exist.
Still remember the taste and flavor of the various Columbian strains like it was yesterday.
On one hand I want to believe the strains still exist, but on the other hand, one would sure think that some one
would have put them out the on the market and think it would get around pretty quickly.
I wasn't born at the time so I can't know if the surviving lines are a good representation of your memories but I feel confident to recommend you the Colombian Gold 1972 from USC. I would be very surprised to learn that it is different. So far it matches all the description of Colombian Gold I've read. Like Oldschoolsativa just wrote: " incredibly euphoric high, and a more incensey aroma and taste on top of the earthy/woody".
It is indeed the most euphorical strain among traditional sativas of the world I've tried so far.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I smoked a fair amount of Colombian weed in the 1970s. I only ran across three varieties. Most of it was simply called "Colombian." Maybe some was punto rojo, but if it was I wasn't told. It had that classic earthy woody Colombian aroma, which I've been able to replicate indoors with a couple CBG punto rojo x mangobiche (puntobiche) crosses. Most of the Colombian back then (at least on the USA east coast) was brown, potent, and the high was fairly predictable...crept up on you, then a few hours of good buzz then it made you sleepy. Some batches were better than others, of course. When I first started smoking in 1974 an ounce of Mexican reefer was $20, while an ounce of Colombian was $40. The Colombian was at least twice as good, so that's what I bought when it was available.

I came across Colombian gold on three occasions. The first was right after Christmas 1975 in the Florida Keys when my cousin scored a bunch of Colombian gold. A Colombian freighter was parked off the then 12-mile limit, and smaller boats were running loads onto shore. The Coast Guard caught on and the cargo was dumped and the boats headed out to sea. My cousin was/is a fisherman and one of his pals hauled in a bail of Colombian gold. They called it sea weed, not an unusual thing in the Keys at that time. I distinctly remember going for a walk on the beach with him and he rolled a joint which we smoked. It was definitely more exotic than most of what I had tried before, buds of pure golden yellow, incredibly euphoric high, and a more incensey aroma and taste on top of the earthy/woody Colombian I was used to. It was the second-best weed I had smoked up to that point (best was a small bag of trip weed we scored in earlier in 1974 or 1975). I came across Colombian gold again in 1978 in Dallas, and it was as good as I remembered it. I ordered a bag of it which took a while to score and when I did it was still Colombian gold, but it was the most heavily seeded bag of weed I ever bought. Seriously, at least 2/3 of the bag weight was seed. I was pissed but I was still happy to get Colombian gold. I never saw it again after 1978.

The last batch of Imported Colombian I ever got was in 1980. I was visiting a high school friend at Harvard University and some dude knocked on his dorm room door and asked if we wanted to buy some Colombian sinsemilla. My friend fronted me some money and I scored a quarter pound which I put in my suitcase for my flight back to Texas. I had never seen Colombian sinsemilla before or since, but it was definitely Colombian with the classic aroma, although maybe a bit more dank. The buds were small, pretty dense, and very dark brown. It had a good flavor but it was the most cough inducing weed I ever smoked. One half hit from a bong and you'd violently cough for a couple minutes. It was devastatingly potent, and very narcotic in effect. It was legendary in the small East Texas college town where I sold most of it for unheard of prices. I had people asking me for months if I could get more. It was so much better than the Oaxacan schwag we routinely smoked. Maybe it was an early hybrid?

I also distinctly remember my very first hit of real Columbian Gold, circa 1977. Then, Mexican green schwag sold for $20/oz. When Columbian started taking over the market, it sold for $80/oz. Everybody including myself scoffed at paying that much, 80 bucks was a a lot of money back then.

I never saw Columbian sensimellia. It was non-existent in my circles. I'm scratching my head right now trying to remember when I first held a seedless bud in my hand.....:unsure: All weed back then was seeded.

The reason the Columbian sensi was so dank and kicked ass is that nobody back then had smoked weed with that kind of THC content. It was the exact same thing for me. My very first toke of Gold Lumbo kicked my ass. One single hit had me completely shit faced for +8 hours.......o_O

No different than major league sports. Every time you go from the minors to the majors, there is a big difference in skill level. Same thing with weed......:joint:

First time I smoked real Hawaiian weed, same thing.......BAM !!! Welcome to the big league rookie.....:bat:

RMS

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
in the late 60's/ear 70's , smoked a lot of 'un-named' Colombian weed - most was brown, a few times it was more golden in color- once we scored some real dark... almost black Colombian weed ... the reason i'm confident it was colombian , i bought it in brooklyn from a ship's mate onboard a gran-colombiana ship- after smoking 1/2 a joint, your fingers has black tar on em ... that was the only encounter with black weed ... and it was nice weed

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Here is some Columbian Gold dry sieve I got today.

Columbian Gold Dry Sieve a.jpg

Columbian Gold Dry Sieve b.jpg
Columbian Gold Dry Sieve c.jpg

It arrived this way, sporting these big fat heavy intensely aromatic chunks......:smokey:..... that weighed out to 7 grams total. I haven't tried out any yet, but the day is still young.....:cool:

RMS

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Don't be brutal, Maha, ;) basically he didn't say anything bad or new ... I don't know what DJ Short knows for sure and tried, and I wasn't even a sperm in 1970, but it's no mystery that a lot of the weed that was running in the US (but also here in the EU) wasn't what it was supposed to be, a lot Hawaiian was Mexican of excellent choice, very Colombian came from Paraguay and let's not talk about Jamaican sativa grown in other islands ... For the rest it is true, many of those who were there do not remember much (or do not want to remember), it must have been an intense and interesting period to live. :D

Hi willy,

it was reaction to this national narrator which this horse is... I mentioned that thai sativas are trippy, he said no, thai sativas are not trippy. okay, thats the opinion I said to myself, then I said that some folks mentioned that south indian sativas are trippy(I read that colombian came from south indian genetics, at least half of it) this kind of horse said no, any of south indian genetics is trippy. when you will mention any sativa from any region, according to him its not trippy, he is expert on any sativa, while he is growing like 3 years LOL... only trippy weed is punto rojo and paraguyan according to him - but where it is? it seems to me that only in his words. just cant take such bullshitter seriously really. even more when he says dj short is bullshitter, while behind dj short there is some work... and what is behind this horse? nothing than claims which border with fantasy.

first I got trippy weed, it was when I was teenager, and it was silver haze from Adam... well I was teenager and I saw the stars everywhere, not only at the sky... but today I will smoke silver haze and it is not trippy at all to me. not like when I was teenager.. enough said.

I have never claimed that colombian gold for example is not trippy. yeah it has nice consciousness shift, but also it has some kind of stonyish effect, which I dont appreciate and prefer thai genetics over it.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Maha Kala please make pause with your modern Hazes and grow pure landraces from South Asia to Africa then you will better understand what pure sativa divas are really and what old Colombian or Mexican were, from spiritual Gold without celling to Red heartbeat hallucinogenic to answer the question of this thread.

Whether you're a teenager or an old man, it doesn't make a difference when you experiment this kind of oldschool potency. The best memories are engraved for life and that's what olders say to me when they grow and smoke my work and refound their teenage feelings about Thai, Mazari. Jamaican or Swazi That's not imagination or assumptions but real experience i mean.

Kenavezo
please ROms, dont talk with me like some mentor which you are not... you dont know colombian genetics at all via its hybrids or pure..I grew old timer haze in difference to you, and oth is assumed as pure colombian. I will not take such pause as I grew landraces like ethiopian highland or smoked a lot of malawi gold from african seeds which my friends grow. and I have my opinion about it. I grew michoacan as well as two kind of oaxacans...

be sure I have prepared these colombian golds and kiona colombian santa marta stuff. and when right time will come I will grow it.

there is huge difference between teenager experience and old man experience, if you would like to deny it, then I think you lost idea what is real and what is not...

maybe you should know what this horse said about mexican weed? that it was ditch weed! so read first all his meaningless long ass posts from him, if you have time for it. I dont read anything more from him, as it is simply waste of time. and another thing you may know about this horse, that he is huge hater of US culture or counter culture. while there is real cannabis culture in US... if we let preservation of old colombians on colombian growers, there is anything left...

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
On DJ, he had his experiences and others had theirs. I remember Colombian as having a cedar smell and the taste was incense, opposite of what DJ said. Some other things he says I or others had different experiences with those strains.
really? then you cant read. dj short says about CG:

"The color and cure were unique, and the aroma, flavor and high were equally so. The smell was that of sandalwood incense, almost like frankincense. The flavor was that of a peppery cedar. It was some of the most unique tasting herb in the world, and the high was just as exciting. It was truly psychedelic, powerful and long lasting."

xet

maybe you should know what this horse said about mexican weed? that it was ditch weed!
Being familiar with MX weed grown north of the border .......

It was called Ditch weed

Because

Junior high and high school Kids

Grew MX brick seed (depending on batch ... combination of MX, colo, peru, panama, etc)

in ditches

and sold it at school

hence

Ditch weed

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^
I can barely read true, something you seem to share. I said the smell and taste were switched compared to DJ, not that they were not there. A minor point, the main difference was that the one sample/it was top grade btw, I had of the gold was not too trippy or fun. Just energy. He loved the high. The CG I have grown lately outdid it by quite a bit.

Reactions: Gry
Status
Not open for further replies.