What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coir / coconut content of Pro-Mix Veg & Herb Mix:

Treevly

The Pro-Mix in question contains:
  • Canadian sphagnum peat moss (60-75%)
  • Coir / coconut fibre
  • Perlite
  • Gypsum
  • Limestone (for pH adjustment)
  • Organic fertilizer
  • Mycorrhizae -
My question: is the coir going to appreciably assist in an outdoor grow which will likely need some assistance with water retention? I'm questioning whether adding some vermiculite might help. Most, but not all of the stuff is already in, but a few aren't. It is predicted to be hot and dry in this area near the Great Lakes, and the gig is not always accessible for security reasons. Thanks.

troutman

Seed Whore
This is what I'm using now and of the Pro-Mix types it's my favorite. :)

In a guerilla setting, mixing a small amount of manure and extra mulch with it will help.
In my last indoor grow I added some vermiculite to it. Alone it does dry out in a few days.
Unless it rains, I like to visit my guerilla patch every 3 days.

Good Luck.

Treevly

Thanks, Troutperson. That's useful. I do mix native some durt,and sheep pooh with it. I note that there is a difference between the big bales and smaller ones, which I find weird, as follows:
  • Canadian sphagnum peat moss (60-75%)
  • Peat humus (except 2 cu ft comp.)
  • Compost (except 2 cu ft comp.)
  • Perlite
  • Gypsum
  • Limestone (for pH adjustment)
  • Organic fertilizer
  • Mycorrhizae - PTB297 Technology
  • Coir / coconut fibre (2 cu ft comp. only) [Note: 2nd ingredient when it is present.]
I'm, referring to the big bale, so it has coir.