What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

*Cognitive Behavioral Therapy*

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In dealing with PTSD over the years I've found Cognitive Behavioral Therapy really benefited me the most. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who suffers from PTSD or even depression and anxiety. It helped me to better understand my emotions and control my reactions to negative stimuli through a technique called "Reframing".
I've also learned a technique called "Grounding" which really helps when I'm experiencing flash backs or intense anxiety. Grounding techniques turn attention away from thoughts, memories, or worries, and helps you refocus on the present moment.

How CBT works​

CBT is based on the concept that your thoughts, feelings, physical sensations and actions are interconnected, and that negative thoughts and feelings can trap you in a vicious cycle.

CBT aims to help you deal with overwhelming problems in a more positive way by breaking them down into smaller parts.

You're shown how to change these negative patterns to improve the way you feel.

Unlike some other talking treatments, CBT deals with your current problems, rather than focusing on issues from your past.

Changing distortions and perceptions​

CBT aims to transform any ways of thinking and behaving that stand in the way of how a person would like to live their life. This involves identifying negative perceptions or distortions that are affecting behavior.

A distorted view can make a person more susceptible to:

• an unhelpful mindset
  • jumping to conclusions
  • mistakenly seeing situations as catastrophic
  • seeing things as either good or bad, with nothing in between
If people learn fearful or unhelpful ways of thinking, they can start to think in this way automatically. CBT focuses on challenging these automatic thoughts and comparing them with reality.

When a person comes to view a particular situation in a more helpful way, their distress often decreases, and they can then take actions or make decisions that are more likely to serve them in the long term.

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes indeed!

talk therapy is often talked down (ha ha) but talk therapy is very useful if one's words are listened to carefully and feelings are reflected.

may you continue to be carefully listened to! may you remain in touch with your feelings.

The biggest thing is actually wanting the help and wanting to be helped. It also helps to have an open mind and be receptive otherwise you won't benefit from this type of therapy. There's also interesting facets to CBT like "mindfulness" and meditation.
I still have my bad days, but I can say overall my life's for the better now because of it.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Another good cognitive therapy is Cognitive distortion Therapy by David Burns. Feeling good new mood therapy is based on 10 distortions and thinking traps we put our selfs in. Being able to identify the negative distortions and replace them with more positive thoughts is key in Cognitive Behavior therapy. Here's a list of the ten distortions. 😎

• All-or-Nothing Thinking.
  • Overgeneralization.
  • Mental Filters.
  • Discounting the Positive.
  • Jumping to Conclusions.
  • Magnification.
  • Emotional Reasoning.
  • "Should" Statements.
Yes CBT is kick ass when it comes to healing one's life and being happy again. Thank you for your post friend.

St. Phatty

I observe that one of the biggest mistakes people make are -

* thinking they can't understand stuff.

we all have 86 or 87 billion neurons, sort of the biological equivalent of logic gates.

If you have trouble understanding something, there's a good chance that you had a bad teacher, or that you can't deal with the stress that learning causes you, or that you are poorly nourished, or that you have a crappy living situation that keeps you from getting a good night's sleep.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That's for sure St. Phatty. One thing I can honestly say about CBT from my own experience is,

*Cognitive Behavioral Therapy* is Killer Good medicine. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
It all starts in the mind and goes from there. If I look into a crystal ball or read someone's mind based on my own thinking, I'm probably going to be wrong with my predictions. So it is better not to try to predict the future or mind-read what someone is thinking. Instead, I stay open to what is present instead of letting my thinking run wild with a million possibilities.

The 2 thinking distortions above are called Fortune-telling errors, and Mind-reading errors. When we use these two thinking distortions as realities we miss a lot and run into a lot of mental obstacles. .

Another one is "Jumping to conclusions", which falls in the same category as Fortune telling error. After learning what the thinking distortions were it was easy to change the way I thought. It's helpful for me and super helpful for anyone that isn't cognitively impaired.

Should statements are also common thinking distortions and are painful and can cause one a lot of misery? I should have been a better mom or dad or should have done more or less after it's already done. They should have treated me better or whatever. Most of our problems come from our own thinking that is not in line with reality and when we change what we think we change the way we feel. 😎

40degsouth

Hey everyone, l hope you’re all well and doing goodly things.
Nice thread and discussion everyone. I haven’t been around for a while, things have been pretty busy here getting ready for the season, you know how it is.
One of the things I’ve found helpful is to bring presence to my emotions and then be mindful and actually ask myself, weather it’s past, present or future that’s making me happy or angry.
Turns out 95% of my anger comes from the past (the other 4.95% comes from driving😉) and it’s interesting for me to be fully conscious of what I’m feeling and thinking, work out where it’s coming from and try to work out what triggered it.
I’ve found this strategy particularly helpful because my inner dialogue was getting away from me and I was having full on arguments with people and all l needed, was for them to actually turn up so l could really give ’em a piece of my mind🤣🤣🥴
Anyway, was just at a mate’s 50th and there was quite a few ex military and first responders there. It was great to hear their stories and tell a few myself. The best thing was the emotions that came out from men who felt safe, understood and listened to….it was a lovely weekend.
Anyway I’ve been collecting a few screenshots to share so l hope you get something out of them as well.
Cheers,
B41B3D48-5606-4FBC-839D-ECA3379574C8.png
ECBE84DA-FAC6-4EDE-8AC7-B347BAB56AF8.png

St. Phatty

I think Qui Gon Jin pretty much summed things up when he told Anakin Skywalker, "Your Focus determines your Reality".

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes indeed!

talk therapy is often talked down (ha ha) but talk therapy is very useful if one's words are listened to carefully and feelings are reflected.

may you continue to be carefully listened to! may you remain in touch with your feelings.
Yes,,,,,
skill is in the listening,,,,small throw away comments ,,,reactions to certain words and how the clients body language reacts ,,,,
,A great counsellor is the one who’s says very little unless needed ,,,,,s2

sajesak

In dealing with PTSD over the years I've found Cognitive Behavioral Therapy really benefited me the most. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who suffers from PTSD or even depression and anxiety. It helped me to better understand my emotions and control my reactions to negative stimuli through a technique called "Reframing".
I've also learned a technique called "Grounding" which really helps when I'm experiencing flash backs or intense anxiety. Grounding techniques turn attention away from thoughts, memories, or worries, and helps you refocus on the present moment.

How CBT works​

CBT is based on the concept that your thoughts, feelings, physical sensations and actions are interconnected, and that negative thoughts and feelings can trap you in a vicious cycle.

CBT aims to help you deal with overwhelming problems in a more positive way by breaking them down into smaller parts.

You're shown how to change these negative patterns to improve the way you feel.

Unlike some other talking treatments, CBT deals with your current problems, rather than focusing on issues from your past.

Changing distortions and perceptions​

CBT aims to transform any ways of thinking and behaving that stand in the way of how a person would like to live their life. This involves identifying negative perceptions or distortions that are affecting behavior Trauma Therapy in New York.

A distorted view can make a person more susceptible to:

• an unhelpful mindset
  • jumping to conclusions
  • mistakenly seeing situations as catastrophic
  • seeing things as either good or bad, with nothing in between
If people learn fearful or unhelpful ways of thinking, they can start to think in this way automatically. CBT focuses on challenging these automatic thoughts and comparing them with reality.

When a person comes to view a particular situation in a more helpful way, their distress often decreases, and they can then take actions or make decisions that are more likely to serve them in the long term.
I am thinking about trying Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Does anyone have any experiences with it and whether or not it has truly help rid them of anxiety, lethargy, depression, etc.?

I’m suffering from an Anxiety disorder, as well as I suspect depression, although I do not have a formal diagnosis. I’m trying to find some kind of treatment (outside of medication) to help address my frustratingly chronic idleness, isolation, and fatigue.

If any has any recommendations and advice, I would be greatly appreciative!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I am thinking about trying Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Does anyone have any experiences with it and whether or not it has truly help rid them of anxiety, lethargy, depression, etc.?

I’m suffering from an Anxiety disorder, as well as I suspect depression, although I do not have a formal diagnosis. I’m trying to find some kind of treatment (outside of medication) to help address my frustratingly chronic idleness, isolation, and fatigue.

If any has any recommendations and advice, I would be greatly appreciative!
Yes, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is a killer good deal and helps like crazy. I love the big impact it made in my life. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to help themselves. When I learned that by changing the way we look at things, I can change the way those things, or people affect me. It's not the world that's the problem it's the view I take that causes the problems. Learning to change starts in the belief systems we all carry around with us. Good luck Friend.

exoticrobotic

I’m suffering from an Anxiety disorder

What are you anxious about?

I think these days with the cost of living squeeze many people are anxious worrying about the future or getting annoyed at the past.

It's often hard to remain in the present where such worries are not allowed.

Good luck fella ❤️

I'm quite fascinated with cbt/nlp and i'd love to give it a go.

We are all i suppose fascinated by mind altering things :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts