What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coffee Grounds

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You have to watch out for using coffee grounds because it has a lot of nitrogen. Its best to compost the coffee grounds first before using or you can run into problems. Once I added some compost with new coffee grounds and it messed up my outdoor plants. I thought the new coffee was composted but it wasn't and it was a mistake. At any point be careful and start with a little first. Let us know how it turns out. 😎

[Maschinenhaus]

I dry my espresso leftovers and put them on the compost, everything matures there for at least 1 year. The compost is also supplied with lime by eggshells. I add a special primary rock flour, about 1 tablespoon per 10 liters of soil mixture.

Compost is the best thing you can give cannabis, I usually don't need fertilizer, even with heavy feeding hybrids. For cases where this is not enough I give liquid fertilizers based on fermented molasses and vinasse, slaughterhouse waste, algae.

Coffee yes, but only in the compost ;-)

[Maschinenhaus]

What about the coffee filters ?

Coffee filters are relatively low in structure and decompose quickly, making them easily compostable. They also do not attract rodents or harmful insects, which do not like the bitter-tart taste.

led05

Chasing The Present
You guys wouldn’t believe what I stick in the compost pile…. Pretty much everything, that pesky & nosey neighbor; Definitely was the best add yet…!

Decaffeinated beans are treated / processed quite differently than all other coffee, you may want to look into if that process changes things, very unlikely but I roast my own beans, buy by the 20# or 50# sacks of green beans, and the decaffeinated ones are funky, and age weird too…again most likely no issue

Coffee filters - I stick entire hardwood pallets in my pit, the big ones that carry cement, mason blocks etc, the nails suck but a good pit eats everything…. Coffee filters will be gone BF you know it…, a big pit 10 yards or more can benefit well from a good burn too - + it’s fun

PS: the worms just love cucurbits, especially melons but pumpkins too :)

PPS: I had a list up for a while for the family next the sink - the things to add & not but long gone now, maybe I can find a pic of it

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Solvents are used to process coffee for decaf, but if you consider that safe to drink then I guess it's good for the pile too.
@led05 Some wood shipping pallets are treated with bad stuff to prevent fires or insects eating them, you might want to look into that. Some are bad enaugh that burning them yelds a very thick black smoke that makes you cough as soon as you inhale any of those fumes. Some will barely burn, from all the ignifugation sprayed on them.. and so on. Some older ones I wouldn't even touch with bare hands, unless I knew they aren't treated. Laws used to be more permisive in the past regarding what can be sprayed on stuff that don't come in contact with food. Even now, since pallets are not made to be manipulated by hand, they might use stuff that are not allowed to be in contact with skin. Like pest control solutions not usually allowed in home or commercial setting otherwise.

St. Phatty

Coffee filters are relatively low in structure and decompose quickly, making them easily compostable. They also do not attract rodents or harmful insects, which do not like the bitter-tart taste.

rats2b.jpg

I like Rats ! There are 2 kinds in the photo, taken with a Trail Cam I put in the garage.

They are eating the Chicken Food ! Shame on me.

But they're leaving the compost bins mostly alone. I think.

To complete the cycle, I need to find a way to collect the rat turds and put them in the worm bins.

Attachments

• rats2b.jpg
    rats2b.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 47

St. Phatty

I don't think I would take the chance of having rats living in my garage.

My rats are very healthy.

Most of them are gray footed wood rats.

At age 1 year, they build small igloo style structures in the woods, about 2 feet in diameter.

Like Beavers, but smaller. They build them out of Blackberry Stalks.

It is a task that I think most Adult Humans would fail at.

Anyway, they take a break from that and chew a way into the garage.

It helps if I remove the biggest bowl of sunflower seeds, so they have less food.

Having a cat in there is one of the better ways to encourage them to go back to living in their Rat Igloo.

Latest posts

Latest posts