What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco, slabs coco, slabs rockwhool, light mix, heavy mix, living soil?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have found that using hybrid soil mixes gives me the most harvest at the fastest rates. What is a hybrid mix? Using a living soil as a core inside a soil-less substrate.

goingrey

If it is just about the growing and don't need to worry about cleaning and logistics and so on I would go with light mix, easiest. In the real world where those are something to deal with coco is quite nice.

What are coco slabs, bags of coco with holes on the side?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Heres one of the first hybred soil grows using a core before I got dialed in. The bottom photos are the last grow using the same method. Only feeding with 160 ppm mixed with RO water.

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_5729.JPG

IMG_5725.JPG

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The basic principle when using a hybrid soil method comes from boosting the CEC up to 400% What is the CEC?

Cation exchange capacity (CEC) is a measure of the soil's ability to hold positively charged ions. It is a very important soil property influencing soil structure stability, nutrient availability, soil pH and the soil's reaction to fertilizers and other ameliorants (Hazleton and Murphy 2007).