What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Co2 kill flavor an smell?

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
I've noticed that any bud I've had or seen that's been growing with co2 all smells the same. Only way to describe it is like 2000s dro where bud smelled almost the same regardless of looks/color/genetics.

Now is this just the commercial growers fucking something up simply to maximize yield or is it the co2 causing this lack of taste an smell?

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I would think higher temps or shitty feeding would contribute to lack of taste and smell much more than CO2. I mean, I am almost sure about that! Also, guys that use CO2 tend to run at higher temps so there is your possible corelation. But that doesn't necesary means causality..

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You ask is it the CO2 causing it? Its many different factors yielding the same results.
A controlled environment is the same where ever it is. You can have a controlled environment in any State or Country and it will yield the same where ever it is. There are a lot of differences between a controlled and uncontrolled growing room. When you say all the weed is the same it's because it comes from a controlled environment. All controlled environment goals are the same and yield is the same.

The same goes for free-world greenhouse horticulture plants people get at the stores. They come from controlled growing environments best suited for their marketing. It's about making money. The plants are the same in almost any place you get them. Why because of the controlled growing conditions each plant grows in and is best suited. 😎

cfl...KING

Veteran
You ask is it the CO2 causing it? Its many different factors yielding the same results.
A controlled environment is the same where ever it is. You can have a controlled environment in any State or Country and it will yield the same where ever it is. There are a lot of differences between a controlled and uncontrolled growing room. When you say all the weed is the same it's because it comes from a controlled environment. All controlled environment goals are the same and yield is the same.

The same goes for free-world greenhouse horticulture plants people get at the stores. They come from controlled growing environments best suited for their marketing. It's about making money. The plants are the same in almost any place you get them. Why because of the controlled growing conditions each plant grows in and is best suited. 😎
This is where Genetics come in. If not by your statement all peppers would taste the same...

cfl...KING

Veteran
I would think higher temps or shitty feeding would contribute to lack of taste and smell much more than CO2. I mean, I am almost sure about that! Also, guys that use CO2 tend to run at higher temps so there is your possible corelation. But that doesn't necesary means causality..
Do you have hands on experience with co2 grows?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Nope, I used some in my older HPS grows, but it was with a diy bubble counter to guess how much i am adding so I had no ideea what I am doing. Figured out for me it isn't worth the trouble(costs of controller and carrying the tubes), since I do only do personal grows. But I did smoked a lot of weed, both from co2 and without, some had taste and smell in each part. Research papers say a lot about heat and terpenoids lost, and same say about incomplete or deficient feeding and lack of plant vigour and lack of higher level metabolites that evolve into those tasty molecules. I personally seen how taste is effected by growing media and feed. And how indoor overwinter crops are more tasty at the end because of lower temps. Some terps are very volatile at low temps.

Red October

The lack of UV from the lighting has a huge effect on smell and taste, IMO. This wasn't an issue with incandescent lighting but LED has created a new biosphere to deal with.

kro-magnon

Veteran
@explosiv,You're totally right. You can use it in 1,5x1,5M with CO2 or in 1,8x1,8M without. It's a 1000w LED it must powerful, I'd like to see what is possible with a lamp like that but it's expensive.

Grapefruitroop

Agree with Exploziv! No correlation between Co2 and lack of taste but hell yeah high temps will do that.......aaaaand most people run co2 with high temps...so....here is the trick..
HIgh temps and co2 seems wondeful for growing green mass....but for quality flowers low temps for sure....i run co2 with low temps..
I also found that there arent really enough tests and studies on cannabis flowers and co2....and everything you read around is a copy of some university papers and books with tests on leafy greens .... so...its good to try new things, thats why i still run 1500ppm all the way thru the cycle and temps around 73 77 and high humidity 80% all thru flowering....with leds of course

cfl...KING

Veteran
Agree with Exploziv! No correlation between Co2 and lack of taste but hell yeah high temps will do that.......aaaaand most people run co2 with high temps...so....here is the trick..
HIgh temps and co2 seems wondeful for growing green mass....but for quality flowers low temps for sure....i run co2 with low temps..
I also found that there arent really enough tests and studies on cannabis flowers and co2....and everything you read around is a copy of some university papers and books with tests on leafy greens .... so...its good to try new things, thats why i still run 1500ppm all the way thru the cycle and temps around 73 77 and high humidity 80% all thru flowering....with leds of course
Why such high humidity?

Grapefruitroop

I found that under led they love extra humidity...its a sealed room so no mold problems...plants are very perky, i completely recycle the water in the room and its easy to keep track of how fast they drink, and despite the high RH they still have a fast methabolism !!Plus it saves me a lot of money to dont use the dehums and just have the ac do all the work...

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

With CO2 supplementation the temperature needs to be 27C minimum for the plant to take it up in sufficient quantity. The problem is the heat at which the resin is developing in. As been observed lower temps are needed for better quality resin.