What's new

Co2 for spider mites?

I happened across an article a few days ago about using co2 to eradicate spider mites with a 100 percent success rate. The article stated that raising the ppm level in the grow room to 15,000 ppm for an hour would kill all mites. I know this ppm level is extremely dangerous as well as fatal for us as humans and pretty much everything else that breathes. So In theory it should work to kill spider mites right? My question is what kind of damage would co2 levels that high even if only for an hour do to our plants? Has anyone heard of or tried this method before ?

Sasult

I was thinking about that the other day. I was thinking of a bag and frame, more of an isolation chamber, bed bug style, than full room.
As far as danger to the plants goes, if the choices are mites killing everything or me possibly killing some, I'll risk it. I'm betting it's a fine line between dead mites and dead plant.
I would only try this in flower, because there are plenty of easier ways to kill mites in veg.

Lehmi

I did this treatment successfully several times and experimented a bit, but one hour was not enough. It had to be over 16 hours, 24 hours was best. (2 treatments with one week interval)

to the original post:

I had an extreme spider mites problem a few years ago with spider mites from CBD professional cuttings farms.
No matter which commercial poison I used, the critters could only be decimated and always returned.

Once I even tried homemade nictone broth for spraying. That worked very well for me, I had to lie there for over 2 hours and endure the heart palpitations because I did get some aerosols. The spider mites were probably having a niktonflash party or something by now. :biggrin:

Desperate, I tried Co2, since they are arachnids.

Put the cuttings and young plants in a tight box, slowly let the Co2 flow in from above (so that it can warm up and the plant leaves don't die of cold shock), "measure" the level with the fire pointer, as soon as it is full (=oxygen has been pressed out, as it is lighter than Co2) carefully slide the lid on and let it work for 18-24 hours in at most shady light or darkness.

Co2_Behandlung 003_Box.JPG

Co2_Behandlung 004_Flasche_Handschuhe_Jet.JPG

Then let the Co2 air out well (don't panic, the amount is so small) and put the plants back under the light. To quickly remove the Co2 from the pot and the soil, simply water them.
Repeat the procedure a week later to ensure that the spider mites that hatched from the eggs are also affected.

I assume that you know how to handle gas cylinders safely, if anyone is enthusiastic about this method.

After the successful first attempt, I bought the large 800L container waste sacks, quickly made a wooden frame with a lid and all the mums and flowering plants were reliably freed from the spider mites without any chemicals.

Co2_Behandlung 005_Füllen_Sicht_1_ok.JPG

So every 6-8 h I checked the Co2 level with the lighter and refilled a little if necessary.

Co2_Behandlung 006_Füllen_Sicht_2 ok.JPG

I know this method is not to everyone's taste, but for me it is the best remedy against all spider mites.

Unfortunately, it does not work against aphids or thrips, these insects just go into a "hibernation" and only wake up when there is enough oxygen again.
On the other hand, it reaches every tiny crack and leaf axil, even the edge of the pot where some spider mites do yoga ;-)

Since then, whenever we get new, rooted cuttings, I always put them in a dense box and let the Co2 flow in very slowly. The plants themselves love these Co2 baths, in any case up to 24 h is no problem for them and the leaf green is strong green afterwards. Repeat after 5-7 days, where the reproduction cycle of the spider mites is interrupted.

There is one exception, freshly cut plants and plants with open spots do not like this treatment at all, you should wait a few days until the cuts are closed.

(I hope the deep-L translation is good enough) ;)

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Do you think this same idea would work for a greenhouse with plants that are halfway through flower? Would the super high concentration of co2 hurt the plants
Its best to do four 15 minute intervals rather that 1 hour at a time. .

Lehmi

Would the super high concentration of co2 hurt the plants
I could observe the opposite, they love it.

It should be noted that there is no "active" light, no direct sunlight and no injuries or fresh cuts on the plant.

A greenhouse will be difficult to get airtight.