What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH vs LED vs HPS

greencalyx

Premium user
420giveaway
always better to use a scale and gram the recipes out...
Good point. Lol Idk why we don't do that more in the states. Most recipes here are done by volume. For what it's worth, I don't really bake or cook much outside of grilling. Just making an analogy

kro-magnon

Veteran
Knowledge is key to a good harvest, today everybody can easily find the real needs of cannabis thanks to place like this forum where growers share their experiences, trials and errors. When I started in the 90's there was so much bullshit told by so called old growers who were growing low quality weed. I'm sure many old growers heard about boiling the roots at harvest and this type of stupid practices. Ghetto grows and bro science are not what help us to become effective growers of quality cannabis, it's sharing real knowledge and using the good tools to make the plants happy. Depending on your living conditions you may need just the sun to grow good weed but when you have to make it indoor, it's important to select the better tools possible and for that you need datas.

HASHCAM

check some pix from with Kushmints, Rosay and Sour Power - Hortilab cut out its made under leds.

time is same as HPS maybe some days less with LeD but you needs much more Cal/Mag nuts as with HPS
I have some cutting under a led unit set to 40% dimming, all look well, they have required a good amount of food, calnit, calmag grow, mg, and some organic feed. I have had old mothers that needed more food than a gave them and in the end, they became rootbound and hardwood, not productive also they had increased height. The led works well, cuttings have been on 18-hour light since the day they were taken. You have to work with what you got and try to improve continuously.

Kushmints looks very nice @dimodz

HASHCAM

HPS at nearly half the price is still nice, a good light if just flowering will last 6 years on 12/12
as long as you can control that heat. A mix also why not.

my friend ran leds 9 years ago with lots of 660nm and a small amount of blue, the room was purple buds were good but the yield was .5gram per watt he ran 6k watts in a loft.

dimensions of the area, the height of the crop, estimated maximum plant for working area, the position of ventilation or ac, air circs and the genetics and dialed-in food, root temp, and leaf temp, I like to have a check on most stuff. Positive pressure room

Last edited:
I think @goingrey maybe onto something.

Maybe leds are more suited to specific terpene synthesis.

From the scant research i have done it seems to show led enhances lemon balm essential oil terpenes but showed a detrimental effect on menthol terpenes.
HMMM.. Ive ran the same cut of Tomahawk from greenpoint seeds under CMH and LED. LED is absolutely more lemony smelling. the cmh skunkier. Just a stoner observtion tho.

420empire

Veteran
Brosience alert!
I have even under HPS seen that a cut can "change" terps. by this i don´t mean a whole lot bt to some degree. This i would asssume could be temp and nutes / compost. But mind u i don´t have data on this. Purely observations.
I work in plantsience, and the greenhouse I control we use LED osram speciel built. The best growth is from feb- may / sep - dec. This is where the sun is perfect and does not cook the whole house. So yes I have healthy GMO plants for the most of the winnter under LED but deff. prefer the sun. ;)

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HPS at nearly half the price is still nice, a good light if just flowering will last 6 years on 12/12
as long as you can control that heat. A mix also why not.

my friend ran leds 9 years ago with lots of 660nm and a small amount of blue, the room was purple buds were good but the yield was .5gram per watt he ran 6k watts in a loft.

dimensions of the area, the height of the crop, estimated maximum plant for working area, the position of ventilation or ac, air circs and the genetics and dialed-in food, root temp, and leaf temp, I like to have a check on most stuff. Positive pressure room
hps will also need bulb replacement constantly, yearly ballast replacement and hood replacement, if you even plan to try to compete with the capability of leds. With all hps equipment brand new you will barely hit an average ppfd of 900-1000. Efficiency rating maxes out under 2.0 and youre paying an average of 30% more to do this.

Another “my friend”, “my buddy”, story here, who had a dismal yield of .5 grams per watt(this is an outdated method of measuring success, grams per sq foot per cycle translate way more), i can promise you a mediocre grower can hit 60 gr per sq ft and with attention to detail, persistence and some talent can breach 90 grams per sq foot with high efficiency leds(2.8+) and at a fraction of the cost. To translate that into grams per watt is case by case but this is nearly 3g per watt. This is with all conditions ideal, co2 enriched environment, 1200+ average ppfd, healthy hearty strains and a full term cycle.

To put this into a too long didnt read summary. Leds, if used by someone who knows what they are doing, will yield way more for less cost, every time.

"Even cheap Chinese LED panels do great work when you know how to grow GANJA."

Teach us how to grow ganja. I've been trying to grow reefer I guess. Oh wait teaching is wrong by the ganja gods. Pray the answers to me and I'll post them for everyone else?

All the ego i see is those who refuse to offer solutions to real problems, after claiming to be spiritual leaders of the weed movement.

I threw lbs of Cannabis away from my first led grow, because the plants stop eating in flower. No roots at all. I spent thousands on lights. I finally learnt some evil science and realized the spectrum/lights I was recommend by spirit warriors on grow forums was bullshit. I had to have custom pcb's made to get spectrums that recreate old tech/outdoor quality. Seems like you hate nature if you are against learning from it or trying to memorialize it. Or maybe you hate indoor growers.

"Leds, if used by someone who knows what they are doing, will yield way more for less cost, every time."

People have been impressed with 2 grams a watt. Most led grows I see use 3 times the watts I do and yield 1/3. There is absolutely nothing impressive or acceptable about the led grows people are posting. High yield with no roots, you're having a difference discussion, no concern with quality, so please don't reference cocoponics while claiming 3500k leds are growing dank. No-root gang has no valid input on quality. Remember that every time you see a cup winning bud. The grower has more biomass below ground than above, no acception to that rule.

Post your spectrum I'll tell you if you'd weed sucks or not. This isn't about diodes vs bulbs this is about an industry ignoring thousands of years of previous knowledge of seasonal cycles, to sell lights 3 times instead of once. In 10 years you're going to be wondering wtf you were thinking, claiming you 2020 model spider farmer performs well. While showing photos of coco plants in #1 pots. 4 grams a watt is going to be the minimum for indoor production. And that's not even the concern here. 4 grams will be the minimum for CRAFT production. Commercial, why are we even trying to talk about commercial? Are half you guys just investor swindlers running failed ops, trying to milk info off grow forum shitposts? It's so weird how so many people think there's a weed shortage when thousands of lbs get tossed in the dumpster every day, for not being QUALITY..

greencalyx

Premium user
420giveaway
What are your thoughts on led plants needing more cal mag? Do you think it is an environmental issue of temperature/humidity/vpd, or do you think it is more spectrum related?

GoatCheese

Veteran
Good question. My guess is that it's related to (the lack of) infrared radiation. So both.
People with IR and UV chips on their led lights seem have issues too . but would their issues be even worse if their lights wouldn't have those chips on them, i dunno. None of my lights have IR or UV chips so i have no personal experience

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stop growing for yields and focus only on quality. I don't really care about my yields. Quality is everything when growing cannabis.

lol, I just picked up one of the cheapest LED's ive ever seen from Amazon. It's an 800w 8 bar style light I paid 250$ for. They did raise the price a bit to 270$. Its basically 2 400w 4 bar put together. Im testing it now to flower some females. If it works ill use it to flower my males. . If you go to Amazon and search for this you will find it.

Accomying LED Grow Lights with Remote Control​

71PV5HYLxdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

goingrey

People with IR and UV chips on their led lights seem have issues too . but would their issues be even worse if their lights wouldn't have those chips on them, i dunno. None of my lights have IR or UV chips so i have no personal experience
Not sure how well my light represents the overall market but it has 265 diodes and of them 1 is an IR diode (yes, just one). One is enough to mention it in the ads, I suppose. :D

HPS is what, 50% IR?

Still, just a guess based on not much at all.

Brother Nature

Dem L-err-Dee's ain't no good let me tell ya boy..

Back in my day we had to carry the water pails uphill both ways each time we watered our plants. Had to catch the sunshine in a paper bag lined with tinfoil to keep it fresh, 3 days work for a single 12/12 cycle. But, let me tell ya, that was the best way to grow bud ever. The old way is the only way to go kiddos, don't bother learning anything new, no improvements needed.

LHC

We can of course discuss LED vs HID, but do HPS have any advantages over CMH?
CMH is more effective, grow better weed and the bulb lasts much longer.

Latest posts

Latest posts