What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH vs LED vs HPS

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can get why COBs are better then traditional flat panel layout diodes, they mimick HIDs 😅

Damn... Goatcheese I think your onto something here
Maybe intensity can't be added by same intensity sources as far as humans, but when you direct multiple sources at one spot like COBs do, maybe that will explain the difference in quality, as you are creating sufficient amount of light in 1 place for the plant to complete it's procceses fully.
Interesting... With better spectrum I can see it doing better somewhat

The thing is I don't believe this lab test cuz I smoked so much weed that's been in lab tests and got over 25% thc but was trash
Maybe it was hps maybe led but at the end what I'm saying is they shouldn't be trusted

If you smoked it and it was killer ok but going just on lab tests alone... Very hard thing for me to do
So what youre saying here is, numbers never matter, only your opinion post smoking does. This is a benchmark for what to not follow for anyone with any sense or urge to cultivate on a professional level.

snakedope

Crooked8, all your BS is non argument and only author directed BS, so sorry if I ignore you.
Read the comment I made earlier, if you have an opinion please share, if you hate me, please fuck off !

snakedope

In this game there's dope growers and horticulturists. One grows by what they know the other grows by what they learn. Pretty clear in these threads whose who.

I race and build drag bikes for a hobby and I look at it like this. I used to hate fuel injection, carbs were way more understandable, I got better times tuning a carb bike than I ever did on a newer fuel injected bike. But I spent the time to learn the modern way and now I get how fuel injection works, I also have a mate with a dyno, and now my times are substantially better than when running carbed bikes. Second place always complains about first, but first place doesn't think about who got second...

The Harley guy at the bar after the races will always complain about how it used to be better, I'll buy the guy a beer with my winnings and let him complain, moistly cause I know I'm also going to win that next race.

The proof is in the pudding as Bill Cosby says...

Doesn't seem to be a lot of pudding in this thread though....
The funny this is that carbs today are still better then efi, well, I mean in their own aspects, I ride motocross bikes, new and old, you can never beat the snap an old CRF450 with carb has vs a new efi one haha
But again, they are meant to do the same thing with different approach
You know what... This is a nice analogy
Carbs are like HIDs, rough and hard to maintain, but the kick is worth it
LEDs are like efi, everything is easy and fine tuned, but the kick is much more linear and subtle.
The problem with this fool is in the same day he will post things like they are factual. Like “95% of all market product is garbage” etc. Yet, anyone with actual concrete information in the form of data gets immediately discredited by them per their “smoke test” lol. Only a “smoke test” matters.
Yes, only smoke test matters, you didn't know that ? What are u growing ? Tomatoes ?
Its like they think we all assume their opinion matters more than data. Doesnt care about photos.
Pics can't tell you if the smoke is good idiot
Doesnt care about science.
I care about actual science not your Nasa bullshit science
Doesnt care about anything besides their outdated and under-researched opinion. Also offers nothing themselves besides bullshit. Icmag used to be a wealth of information for me. Ive been here since 2013. I was hoping to take my career experience and share it here. Some people make it seem worthless.
Don't share your BS with us bro please, you are making this thread iq level go down
Youve gotta be joking. Unhealthy light? Plastic Led flowers? What are you even saying? Bro, tell us youre making shit up without actually saying so.
No no this is the truth homie, your pics of plastic led flower prove it, don't look to far
Jesus man, you are NEXT level with your bullshit lies. Leds kill plants when they are too close? Um, guy, ALL lights of high intensity can degrade production if set too close.
Weird... My HIDs won't degrade nothing so you are full of BS.
Do you know minimum vs maximum ppfd for healthy growth?
I bet you knowlol
How about the minimum co2 requirements above a certain ppfd?
BS
Do you understand how photons work at all? This is elementary information for someone who bestows knowledge at the frequency you do.
I do, I bet you don't, I bet you total your diodes and claim you have light source monsters hahaha but this is wrong science, this is bro sciencebat best, but u missed it, oh well, always time to hit the books, never too late

exoticrobotic

Under LED I struggle to get the resin to mature to amber without the heads withering and shrivelling up.

The smoke needs more bass. It tantalises me with the 'here i am' but then decides to take me nowhere...

I have another smoke and it takes me one stop again.

snakedope

No one can convince me that led bud is good, not in forums, not in lab test, you want to turn my opinion around ? Bring me a led bud that's worth smoking and maybe you'll succeed.
But, I smoked so much led bud (amazing looking and poor looking) never got what I got from 3 years ago before LEDs took over
So, although I might believe somewhere maybe someone is getting nice results with LEDs, I have yet to see them !
Nice results are not lovely pics of purple blue budz (like all leds) but potency smell taste !
LEDs grow amazing plants ! Better then any HIDs, here I said it, but they don't grow good meds, and that's the bottom line.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
All this makes me want to enter my bud into a cup or send it for lab results... Who here has actually sent out sample to get tested before?

Jaysways

You lot are trippin, “ you can’t grow fire buds with led” looooool jokers. The science points to LED be far superior in every way, fuck your bro science. Honestly if I took advice from people on this forum I’d be the Shittiest grower. If you producing lest quality bud with LED your clearly doing it wrong. More cal mag is bull shit , whatever idiot said that above ^

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
No one can convince me that led bud is good, not in forums, not in lab test, you want to turn my opinion around ? Bring me a led bud that's worth smoking and maybe you'll succeed.
But, I smoked so much led bud (amazing looking and poor looking) never got what I got from 3 years ago before LEDs took over
So, although I might believe somewhere maybe someone is getting nice results with LEDs, I have yet to see them !
Nice results are not lovely pics of purple blue budz (like all leds) but potency smell taste !
LEDs grow amazing plants ! Better then any HIDs, here I said it, but they don't grow good meds, and that's the bottom line.
You probably should have pointed out in your first post you were not actuslly interested in learning and that you were only here to convince others that your poorly constructed argument has some reality to it.

I'll agree. A few years ago LEDs could not keep up. That time has passed. We have suggested raising temperatures and using a light meter and showed as much proof as not smoking a bud can prove

Does not appear that accepting advise is your thing.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The funny this is that carbs today are still better then efi, well, I mean in their own aspects, I ride motocross bikes, new and old, you can never beat the snap an old CRF450 with carb has vs a new efi one haha
But again, they are meant to do the same thing with different approach
You know what... This is a nice analogy
Carbs are like HIDs, rough and hard to maintain, but the kick is worth it
LEDs are like efi, everything is easy and fine tuned, but the kick is much more linear and subtle.

Yes, only smoke test matters, you didn't know that ? What are u growing ? Tomatoes ?

Pics can't tell you if the smoke is good idiot

I care about actual science not your Nasa bullshit science

Don't share your BS with us bro please, you are making this thread iq level go down

No no this is the truth homie, your pics of plastic led flower prove it, don't look to far

Weird... My HIDs won't degrade nothing so you are full of BS.

I bet you knowlol

BS

I do, I bet you don't, I bet you total your diodes and claim you have light source monsters hahaha but this is wrong science, this is bro sciencebat best, but u missed it, oh well, always time to hit the books, never too late
Congratulations, you are the silliest member of Icmag. You offer nothing. You are here to spread stupidity. Please leave.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
“Purple blue buds like all leds” are you now saying leds produce more color/anthocyannins? “Leds grow amazing plants but not good meds.” Dumbest shit ive ever read for real.

kro-magnon

Veteran
@snakedope Why do you smoke a lot of LED grown buds if it's not up to your standards? You keep proving you're an idiot and don't even understand you make a fool of yourself at least you're entertaining like many dumbdumbs .
After 30 years of smoking I don't get as high or for the same period of time I was getting at the beginning, that's how tolerance operates but I doubt you have enough braincells to understand that.
You brag to grow fire but you smoke sub par led grown weed, WTF, are you not able to grow enough for your own need ?

goingrey

Further, the pronounced vertical loss of light intensity in the vertical cultivation system resulted in insufficient photosynthetic conditions and crucially determined the direction of monoterpene transformation reactions in peppermint. The low light intensities led to unwanted high pulegone contents and triggered the undesired synthesis of menthofuran under all light qualities. Thus, the light intensities perceived by the peppermint plants are not suitable for obtaining peppermint oil of quality as specified by the European Pharmacopoeia.

snakedope

Further, the pronounced vertical loss of light intensity in the vertical cultivation system resulted in insufficient photosynthetic conditions and crucially determined the direction of monoterpene transformation reactions in peppermint. The low light intensities led to unwanted high pulegone contents and triggered the undesired synthesis of menthofuran under all light qualities. Thus, the light intensities perceived by the peppermint plants are not suitable for obtaining peppermint oil of quality as specified by the European Pharmacopoeia.
Oops, mic drop, now let's see u talk BS
Again talking about my personal life fuck you both you are nothing but blind minded people (crooked8 and kro)

snakedope

Congratulations, you are the silliest member of Icmag. You offer nothing. You are here to spread stupidity. Please leave.
Please counter my claims moron
Or keep talking shit about me, that's the only thing you know to do !!! Your idiotism is out there for everyone to see, no arguments, claims, just lashing at people, bravo bro.
Only clowns and fools go by author, which is what u are exectly

exoticrobotic

Cmon guys, ffs its not a haze comparison grow.

In my experience the 300w maxibright led lights i used never fully matured the resin glands, the terpenes were not as diverse and the resin stalks were thicker than the heads when compared to cmh.

It seems just plain wrong to think that leds don't have the required intensity to power some of these terpene biosynthesis pathways and potentially other pathways as the light seems very strong by my eyes and stronger than cfls which i've also had better results with.

exoticrobotic

I grew some Kryptonite Abusive x bubba under both cmh and leds.

The ones grown under leds were 6 months more mature than the seed plant grown under cmh as they were revegged and cloned.

The cmh bud was a woah moment. The high was immediate and rushy. The terps were plentiful, lime, pickled onion monster munch, swan vesta used strike pads, twiglets, sugar puffs and coffee, all in a long journey that was lip smackingly good, made you nod your head and exhale a relaxed mmmmmmmm.

The more mature led bud from that plant was nothing in comparison. very one dimensional in every aspect. The buds were drier in feeling, not as sticky and the terps had all melded into a diluted generic slightly musky lime.

There was little rush and sparkle to the high.

goingrey

Oops, mic drop, now let's see u talk BS
Again talking about my personal life fuck you both you are nothing but blind minded people (crooked8 and kro)
Well techniques like a well-trimmed even canopy or having light strips surrounding plants instead of just on top may be able to mitigate the issue. But do provide an additional challenge for the grower and, dare I say, may be more in the domain of hobbyists rather than commercial growers running big rooms.

The paper made no claims of HID lights being any better or worse, for the record. Though better light penetration is a known benefit to them so they may be at an advantage.