What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with soil moist/ water crystals?

J-Icky

So this may be a stupid question but would it be possible to root a clone using soil moist or other water crystals?
I’m at least a month or more from being able to experiment with this idea myself so figured I’d ask. I recently got a bunch of soil moist water crystals to make a DIY Ona bucket and after playing around with the crystals it sparked an idea, one that I can’t currently try due to my current plants all being in flower and the cuttings of those being too small still.

But once fully saturated the crystals seem like they could provide an ideal air/moisture ratio with the only real question being if they would be able to adequately transfer their water content to the cutting. They also have a greasy feel to them that makes me think they may most likely prove toxic to the cutting.

Has anyone here ever tried rooting a cutting in soil moist or other water crystal and how did it go? Did it go as if suspect and prove toxic to the cutting or were there other issues?

Just seems like if it were possible it would make a great medium as the crystals would be easy to mostly remove and then transplant out of.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Years ago I tried rooting a cutting in soil-moist and didn't have any luck with it. IIRC it wasn't toxic to the plant, the plant just never threw any roots.

Carraxe

Veteran
Try perlite. I started using it about a year ago and it is better than anything I've used before, with the exception of high pressure aerocloners.

Easier and faster. Just be sure perlite is wet and there are some millimeters of water in the bottom

J-Icky

Try perlite. I started using it about a year ago and it is better than anything I've used before, with the exception of high pressure aerocloners.

Easier and faster. Just be sure perlite is wet and there are some millimeters of water in the bottom

Well I root successfully in peat pellets so it’s not that I’m looking for a way to root cuttings.
It’s more a curiosity than anything but unfortunately the idea hit me at a time I really couldn’t do anything with it.
Honestly started this thread, one, looking for experience but also kind of as a reminder to try it when I had the extra cuttings. Hopefully in the next month or so the cutting I just rooted in peat pellets will be big enough to take cuttings off of and give it a shot.

Carraxe

Veteran
Well I root successfully in peat pellets so it’s not that I’m looking for a way to root cuttings.
It’s more a curiosity than anything but unfortunately the idea hit me at a time I really couldn’t do anything with it.
Honestly started this thread, one, looking for experience but also kind of as a reminder to try it when I had the extra cuttings. Hopefully in the next month or so the cutting I just rooted in peat pellets will be big enough to take cuttings off of and give it a shot.

I have been cloning in pellets as well for more than 10 years. Pellets asphyxiate the roots, as many other substrates, and the plants need more time to root. Perlite is much faster and the rooting rate is much better.

After the first round in perlite, i quit jiffies forever. There isn't any better passive medium.

Good luck with your experiments. I recommend any medium that allows a high humidity rate and a good oxygenation of the roots and stem.

J-Icky

I have been cloning in pellets as well for more than 10 years. Pellets asphyxiate the roots, as many other substrates, and the plants need more time to root. Perlite is much faster and the rooting rate is much better.

After the first round in perlite, i quit jiffies forever. There isn't any better passive medium.

Good luck with your experiments. I recommend any medium that allows a high humidity rate and a good oxygenation of the roots and stem.

I’ll definitely have to give perlite a try. How exactly do you go about it. I’ve seen one method that involved plastic test tubes with holes drilled in the bottom but that entire setup just seems a little too much to me.
If it would work with some perlite in a narrow plastic cup with holes in the bottom then that seems more feasible.

Carraxe

Veteran
I’ll definitely have to give perlite a try. How exactly do you go about it. I’ve seen one method that involved plastic test tubes with holes drilled in the bottom but that entire setup just seems a little too much to me.
If it would work with some perlite in a narrow plastic cup with holes in the bottom then that seems more feasible.

There are a couple of threads about. There are different methods, I use a seedbed with about 40 pots to put different strains, and I fill it with perlite inside a big plastic box, but I could do it without the seedbed, just over the perlite. The only important thing is that it has to be wet and there must be about a millimeter of water in the bottom.

There is a guy who uses these plastic cups as well.

clearheaded

i imagine if used the large balls that allowed air flow would work better. sterile may be key could try soaking in mild peroxide solution. tissue culture of course root in gel so its possible however thats agar mix and not that polycarbamate or whatever it is.