What's new

Cloning tomatoes and MJ together?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Tomatoes are VERY easy to root. Anyone think that they could be used as a companion plant to speed rooting times in an aeroponic or bubbling cloner?

Anecdote:
I just set up a brand new ez cloner, put MJ clones in 8 days ago, and couple tomatoes cuttings 2 or 3 days later. Almost everything has roots now, all the tomatoes, and 6 or 7 outta 8 clones, all different cuts (2 only have nubs).
This was after 6 days, 20 hours or so. (Click for bigger)

[The ez cloner is sitting within 4 feet of my AC, has plenty of air movement, both pumps run constantly, and it has just one 23w cfl as a light source. Plain tap water ~0.3ec; pH brought down to 6.2]
--

So... anyone think that the hormones created by the tomatoes creating their roots, is/could be influencing the MJ clones?

This was far from the scientific method, but ive been thinking about doing it for a long time, and I had a spare tomato plant. Along similar lines, ive read that willow cuttings placed with MJ help rooting and I dont have a pond...

Ive read about people raving about the EZ cloner, i never really bought in. Now that i have one, i'm pretty happy.

FWIW im not sacrificing grow space that could be given to MJ to a tomato plant, ive kept this tomato plant alive with shaded light i would never try to grow MJ with. Im not trying to 'fruit' the tomato plant, just keep it alive for a clone or two.

Tomatoes as a rooting companion? Thoughts? Anyone want to attempt to replicate or have two cloners and can run a side by side?
-

Frozenguy

Veteran
If conditions are right, I could see a beneficial change. But I have read from multiple sources that tomatos will cause root rot in strawberry plants if planted too close. Doesn't mean this is true for MJ, but just a thought to look into/keep in mind during your testing.

tester

Well, gardeners used to do the same with willows, and there are plenty of anecdotal as well as some scientific evidence that it was helping the cuttings to take roots.
Perheaps you could do a side-by-side if you have the opportunity.

E

Eatatjoes

Willow has salicylic acid which is a natural rooting hormone. I don't know if tomatoes would be a good companion plant for rooting but I know tomatoes are very susceptible to fusarium wilt, so keep an eye out for root rot. Lettuce is a good companion plant because it has natural fungus fighters which would help the mj in a closed system. I don't trust putting other plants into my mj system because of the potential for contamination.

devilgoob

Veteran
While tomatoes grow roots well, they might not be compatible. If they aren't then use an immunosuppressor on the plant :)

Anyway, grow a hops and then graft the hops root system unto the sponge tissue on the other. They're both from the family Cannabacae.

Latest posts

Latest posts