What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Autos...? [I'm on a MISSION]

CimbaKat

I've heard its impossible, I heard it works dependent on your strain, or when you take the cutting, maybe... if you're lucky... in two weeks you could have roots, but the general consensus is don't waste your time (from all of my research). I've always been intrigued and couldnt afford to do it because of space and money at our old place/set up. HOWEVER, recently I swung by the local grow shop (what a trip, new to being in a legal state... my mind malfunctioned like the first time I went to a dispensary, lol, kid in a candy shop, thank god i wrote a list... and I still forgot something, anyway) and bought a propagation set up (mat, light, dome) and figured i'll give it a shot.

Originally I was using some Home Depot LED generic bulb and an old dome we used to germinate previously. I took two cuttings of lower branches off of my original Glueberry OG auto and one cutting of Alien vs Triangle, both were decent size cuts, not impish. They did alight the few days under that light/dome, but I believe I had the light too close. Saw a little burn.

New dome is set up with a solid T5 for plants (maybe i got robbed IDK, guy sold it up to me, I was gonna run cheapo Home Depot Delux but figured a grow like for prop is better) and nice dome plus a heat mat and thermometer, set to 72F, runs at 72.5-74F. figured 72-80 is good as I like 72-75F for my room, why not match it for propagation? I Used some new Canadian rooter cubes, I'll post the name, they seem pretty nice, preholed drill, pre-moistened like a rapid rooter, was told they don't expire, but they will eventually lose moisture over time in the bag.

Under the new set up, cuttings look happy.. I'm kinda like "WHAT is going to happen?" lol.

Took another 3rd cutting of GBOG Auto is lil over a day old, this was a bottom branch i missed lolipopping that looked like if any cutting roots, its gonna be her.. she didn't have pistils yet down there despite our plants being early flower so I snatched it. I have some Beary White's going too, just little imp branches (I've seen my cousin successfully clone NL#5 by taking small tiny cuts and directly them into aloe watered soil and they have damn near 95%-100% success rate and grow into big mamas for outsize and mama plants..) I'm trying for the hell of it. If one cut outta the bunch roots, I'm stoked.

If anyone wants to see pics and what not of this wondrous journey, i'll try to upload em later..
I'll keep you posted and post the dates of all cuttings and their progress.

I think they will probably root, but don't expect much growth. The whole point of a clone is to make a copy of a plant. But what you are doing is just taking parts of the plant and seperating them, then rooting them and letting them continue to grow. I don't think it would be actually cloning them. Not sure if that makes sense?

If I was you I would look into grafting a cutting from an auto onto another plant.

I've heard that is how roses are propogated.

CimbaKat

I think they will probably root, but don't expect much growth. The whole point of a clone is to make a copy of a plant. But what you are doing is just taking parts of the plant and seperating them, then rooting them and letting them continue to grow. I don't think it would be actually cloning them. Not sure if that makes sense?

If I was you I would look into grafting a cutting from an auto onto another plant.

I've heard that is how roses are propogated.
Oh for sure. I actually began thinking this as I've watched the process unfold, makes sense to me. I've debated on trying a graft if harvest times correctly, I even thought of revegging... any word on revegging autos? I'm curious. Seems to be More franksteining less cloning lol. 3 have since been chucked into compost. So far no roots. But little decay or anything, seem content in limbo.

CFP65

its not impossible, iwe done it back in the day when autos first came out, you can even lay the cutting in a plastic bag (suck out the air) and store it unrooted for 1-2mths (4C) as the cirkadian clock goes on hold as soon as the top is seperated from the root, it made it possible to reverse the plant i took the cuttings from and reverse it partially and get viable pollen, to later flower the cuts out with a delay.
it makes Auto S1 & S2 even S2 pollen on S1 and P possible wich can be helpfull in certain ways.

the ones i did it with was original lowryder, and certain no autos x Autos to get the thing going

CimbaKat

Sept 6th 6:50AM
I haven't checked for roots in over a week. Today I thought lemme check while I check the seedlings.. by God, Marty! It worked! Pushed this bitch to 88 and we got ...We got have roots.. we have something to work with ladies and gents.. the mad science experiement is a success... now to see what happens lol,I didn't the itd work. Must be like how the first boat builders felt, "well I didn't expect it to float... I guess now we row? Where to? Who knows?"

Beary White Auto (Mephisto genetics) rooted a few and maybe one or two Glueberry OG autos rooted. I didn't label any, hindsight I should've because at one point I had like 10 cuttings... was more fun than serious... now it got real.

how long do I wait to replant, should I replant now? I never cloned before, let alone autos. It's been about 2 weeks, lil less, my freshest cuttings rooted the quickest. Had a sterilized razor this time and alone to dip em in. My oldest cuts died, dirty razor. I have another Beary white forming roots, itty bitty baby cutting a lil bigger than a seedling.

Attachments

• 20190906_064517.jpg
    20190906_064517.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20190906_064516.jpg
    20190906_064516.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190906_064510.jpg
    20190906_064510.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190906_064459.jpg
    20190906_064459.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190906_064446.jpg
    20190906_064446.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20190906_064439.jpg
    20190906_064439.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190906_064314.jpg
    20190906_064314.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 69

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. A few years ago I took cuttings from a Mango Zamal, it was an autoflowering phenotype in the sense it flowered independently of daylenght, but it took 30 weeks to flinish. Also other time, someone gave me a cutting from a fast hybrid, but supossedly it wasn't an autoflowering strain. In both cases the cuttings rooted quite well, but once they begin to grow again they continued flowering again. It was impossible to stop them from flowering, even very close under a street lamp. They simply flowered and died.

Perhaps this can help you: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1952271&postcount=1

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
You can clone an auto, but a one for one swap isn't a great deal.

If you want to clone an auto
1 - Top it a couple times. You'll want 4-6 colas on it. (some say not to do this but... since we're just playing here)
2 - Take only 3/4s of the bottom buds on a cola.
3 - Keep the bitch alive because at some point, if you don't kill it, it'll reveg.
4 - Take the reveged tops.
5 - Replant.

The issue of course is that a cutting from an auto "remembers" where it is in it's life cycle. You have to grab it early when it's own internal clock resets.

LSD-25 Auto (reversed via STS because I wanted some seed from it)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I didn't bother taking these, and couldn't bring myself to kill it. If I did, I would have much earlier.
picture.php

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I've heard its impossible, I heard it works dependent on your strain, or when you take the cutting, maybe... if you're lucky... in two weeks you could have roots, but the general consensus is don't waste your time (from all of my research).
It is possible to clone superautos, because of their long vegetation time.

Check out the larger strains of Flash Seeds (Panama Lime, Muay Thai, Copacabana, etc.), the XXL autos of Dutch Passion or Buddha Seeds' Magnum.

There is also something called Semiautos. Rather than flowering on the 4th node (autos) or the 9th node like light period plants (Superautos), Semiautos start flowering at 14/10, instead of 12/12 or 10/13. They are great if you need plants to start to flower outside in August rather than September. Femaleseeds has several strains.

brock1

I am told the only real way to clone a auto is through cloning the calyx (stigma) with tissue culture. This way your produce a haploid clone similar to pollen culture. Never tried it personally but maybe I will some day.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
My experience.. yeah but no.
It's that clock. It keeps ticking. For me, the mum was entering flower before it was big enough for what I call a viable cutting. Two weeks of rooting later, it was so far into bloom it had no interest in growing bigger. Frame nor roots. Stretch was past. So I had a rooted stick, that was already half way through flower. But had never seen decent light. It couldn't catch up, even to grow a single bud worth smoking.

I have done it with semi-autos that were not advertised as such. Ruined my summer as my mums and cuttings went to shit before I got them out. You can't spend any of your flowering time messing about trying to grow roots under low light. Entire weeks matter. It may seen like a week at the beginning where not much happens, but at the end when you are wanting an extra week you have already spent, it's a big deal. Make that two weeks more you want, and you might as well throw in the towel

pjlive

So far, the best I can gather from what's been done so far is to find an auto strain that is the most stable it can possibly be. I understand fully that the problem here is replicating an auto strain to yield the same, or as close to as humanly possible, the closest effect to the original. It seems to me that with natural automatic expression variations this will be very hard to do. So, for now anyway, I've decided that the best way for me to even hope to replicate an auto's effects is to stabilize the strain as good as possible then separate the wheat from the chaff among them for what I'm going for.

As it is, an auto is very quick to harvest. That's a plus in and of itself. We need to rely a little less on time to harvest. Now, a close replication to the original effect of any particular auto strain is the goal. I don't know how or even if we'll ever get there, but I'm going to be using a die hard stabilization process of the strains I physically respond best to.

Just my thoughts, really. Although I'm going in the above direction right now I could easly change my attitude over time as more progress is made by serious auto-flower breeders.

brock1

So far, the best I can gather from what's been done so far is to find an auto strain that is the most stable it can possibly be. I understand fully that the problem here is replicating an auto strain to yield the same, or as close to as humanly possible, the closest effect to the original. It seems to me that with natural automatic expression variations this will be very hard to do. So, for now anyway, I've decided that the best way for me to even hope to replicate an auto's effects is to stabilize the strain as good as possible then separate the wheat from the chaff among them for what I'm going for.

As it is, an auto is very quick to harvest. That's a plus in and of itself. We need to rely a little less on time to harvest. Now, a close replication to the original effect of any particular auto strain is the goal. I don't know how or even if we'll ever get there, but I'm going to be using a die hard stabilization process of the strains I physically respond best to.

Just my thoughts, really. Although I'm going in the above direction right now I could easly change my attitude over time as more progress is made by serious auto-flower breeders.
So why not just cube it using a male? Creating auto lines for me isn't the problem you can always back cross to fem pollen or a male so its the exact same as other strains. You loose potency and yeild a little by making a ibl auto but you do with most strains from inbreeding.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Stabilising them seems a hard job to approach. Not being able to fully flower out a plant, then go back to the mum, means making a decision before you can make a decision.

I think it's more typical to get a stable photo, and a bag of auto seeds from a single parent. Then take the stable photo through the generations, using that same bag of auto seeds, that just one plant provided. It's guessing the outcome, but like baking a cake, the result will fall within a range.

I'm not sure how the idea of uniform seeds sits in other peoples minds. Variation between cuttings caused by environment changes can be quite a spread. I don't expect a few seeds to ever pop out two plants the same. Though you can usually see the parents, there is a great deal from past generations. Everything about them, in fact.

Edit: same auto pollen each generation. I forgot that approach. I have not stored any long enough to do the whole process.

brock1

Interesting but I combat this problem by pollenating a single arm on each plant. I can make the selection once I have sampled them all. I can use this line and if I feel it looses what I want I can simply back cross which a rough idea of the phenos I will find in each generation or used what I thought was the next best plant. (y)

pjlive

So why not just cube it using a male? Creating auto lines for me isn't the problem you can always back cross to fem pollen or a male so its the exact same as other strains. You loose potency and yeild a little by making a ibl auto but you do with most strains from inbreeding.
In my case, I'm picking out the best male I can in grows that don't exceed 12 plants. A tiny number of plants. From the best male I collect as much pollen as possible to be used on subsequent females from new generations. I'll never get true stabilization, I know. But I'm trying to get as close as possible to a standard effect as I can.

My preference will always be to use my photoperiod clones. Always, I think. But I started this auto project and now I'm Hell bent on completing it. :LOL: I only need two crosses in the end. One for pain and relaxation, another for creativity and recreation. Then I'm done. Unless something WOW comes out, those will be the only two autos I will grow and regenerate over time.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I have a small thread here now:

Cloning A (Super-) Auto​

Superautos can be cloned, especially if you take the earlier branches, which you might be pruning for airflow anyway. It is a great way to increase the yield of expensive feminized auto seeds.

The fermented prouted hempseeds/microgreens, a bottle cap per gallon, can be sprayed 3x per week in case of an insect infestation. Working with gravity from top to bottom, first use a fine mist to get everything wet, then use a strong spray to dislodge as many insects as possible. Repeat every other day until the problem is gone. Then spray once every 2 weeks for an energy boost.

Last edited: