What's new

Cloning and sexing ?

G

I use an Aerocloner to do my clones and it works great. 7-10 days 100% rooted everytime.

When I am sexing a plant I usually grow it out from seed until it is old enough to take 3-4 clones. Toss the cuttings in the aerocloner and toss the parent into 12/12 to sex. I usually see the sex about the same time the clones are rooted. If it's a male I toss the parent and it's respective clones and if it's a female, I grow out the parent and start the clones in veg. Plus your parent is about 30-45 days ahead of the clones. So, you can harvest to see which one is best and make one of those specific clones your new mom.

Now after all that ramblin, the question

Could I take cuttings(1-2) from each plant, toss them into the aerocloner and at the 10 day mark or whenever they have some root structure hangin down, flip to 12/12 on my flouro above the cloner? Flower the fresh rooted clones right in the cloner in order to sex, never take them out. Once sex is shown then well, sex is shown. But you only have to manage one cutting from each plant and the parent continues to veg a little more.

I started thinking, I could switch to a little 150w mh right when I go 12/12. might speed up the process anyway. The 150 is not to bad for early rooting and veg.

Just curious

Tex

Last edited:

Hippo

Yes.
Infact i flip the clones i took for sexing purposes while they are rooting not actually waiting till they have root structure. I tend not to use these clones after this though.
Hope that helps.
Hippo

G

So you could flip to 12/12 as a fresh cutting in the cloner?

I would use the process soley to sex so if I sacrafice a single clone oh well.

Killer, I'm goin to try it.

Thanks hippo

Tex

-Hey Tex! -Hey Hippo! -If you keep your parent plant in veg indefinantly youl never have to sex another plant again! -Thats what I do anyhow. -Iv been cuttin off the same mom for quite some time now and she's still going strong! -In fact, -I havent planted a seed in well over a year and a half! -Its a major luxury to not have to keep an eye out for males. -All the best!

syko2

I too sex my clones while rooting in dwc. Sexing clones allow me to keep working on the mother. Fastes &easiest way to root cuttings is dwc...

Works great ...That way you can sex several plants at 1 time and have the same for next grow, even veg the cuttings in the aero till flowered.

G

Thanks S2, I am playing with a couple methods right now to see what I like the best.

That's were Im headin TF.

I am working on getting 6-8 primo mothers in the next 8-9 months of growing out all these seeds I have. I just had to trash all my other mothers in waiting when I had a little LEO drama.

Growin out and sexing is the first step, plus I have a bunch of killer strains that I want to play with.

I am basically starting over looking for mommies to feed clones to my operation.

Tex

SWEET!!! -I just couldnt imagine growing from seeds. -They seem to trade around here like bubblegum cards tho! -It just seems that once ya find something ya like ya'd stick with it! -Pluss you get real good at taking care of her! -They all got personality and if ya keep killinem off ya'l never get to know any ofem! -Im really glad your cloning! -Peace

syko2

I find sexing unrooted cutting's is fine if you plan on re-veging or trashing them. If once you sex them and wont to flower the rooted cuttings some veg time is nesacerry or mutations, loss of vigor and stunting can and usually acure.

I realy like growing from seed but if I find a strain I wont to keep I will clone or if some one wonts the strain I send cuttings as weel as seeds depending what I have or what they wont. Clones are better in most ways but seeds are fun to grow out as well.

full time daddy
Veteran
tex

i like your first idea....

take your clones and sex the seed........ it's big enuff to have smoke after. unlike the clone's you sex cant even flower all the way.....

but i dont know....just ramblin i grow from clone every time

if i run out or kill a mom i just go to the coop and buy more clone's
no need for a seed ( i do keep back up seed's just in case)
just have never needed them

chosen

Veteran
I usually sex the clones as well in order to let the mom keep working and I keep some extra clones that are rooting in order to have some for my stock...

Latest posts

Latest posts