What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLONES!!! 7-14 Days! 99% Success Rate!

F2F

Went 20/21 last round, looks 21/21 this round. Still digging this method. šŸ‘ many thanks to the OP here. :huggg:Iā€™m a hack at best, but for those unable to use EZ cloner type tech for whatever reason this is a solid route to go,(albeit maybe a little slower).

Peace
F2F

Legalcdn

I was 4 for 4 on my clones.
I do like to see the roots before transplant.

I use a smaller clear plastic cup that is inserted into a pop/soda can (with top cutoff) so no light hits roots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221028-105755_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221028-105755_Gallery.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 94

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Question for SGS

Question for SGS

After having yur cuttings in the cups for the required amount of time, how do you recommend checking for root development without damaging whatever has (or hasn't) developed? And so what do you do if you find you need to leave them in the cups for a little longer before transplanting?
Thanks.
Very gently pull on the stem and if the perlite raises with the stem its rooted. If the perlite doesn't raise and the stem lifts out without picking up the perlite it's not rooted yet,. šŸ˜Ž

F2F

Still rockin, and loving, this technique! Just started another 18 cuts yesterday. Lost maybe 3-4 out of the last 50 or soā€¦and most of those lost during last round when I left them for 10days vacation without venting or heating pad.

@SGS - :tiphat: I am indebted to your sharing this little gem of wisdom.

Peace,
F2F

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Is this method better than rockwool??? I have been using Snypes method for 10 years, but have been lazy and not sterilizing or certain strains might not clone as well. I would worry about light getting in and preventing roots. Is it just plain water? Did not see any fertilizer mentioned, or rooting chemicals.

F2F

I would worry about light getting in and preventing roots. Is it just plain water? Did not see any fertilizer mentioned, or rooting chemicals.
Have done this successfully with clear, and with opaque cups. In theory light could cause slower rooting but havenā€™t noticed. šŸ˜‰

I use tap water, straight from the kitchen.
Those cuts I mentioned aboveā€¦it was my vacation backup plan in case of unexpected catastrophe while awayā€¦topped water a couple since Oct. 27thā€¦just starting to yellow a bit yesterdayā€¦ but otherwise happy.

Very nice secure/low tech method to backup plants while away from home.

Peace,
F2F

F2F

I would worry about light getting in and preventing roots. Is it just plain water? Did not see any fertilizer mentioned, or rooting chemicals.
Have done this successfully with clear, and with opaque cups. In theory light could cause slower rooting but havenā€™t noticed. šŸ˜‰

I use tap water, straight from kitchen.
Those cuts I mentioned aboveā€¦it was my vacation backup plan in case of unexpected catastrophe while awayā€¦topped water a couple times since Oct. 27thā€¦just starting to yellow a bit yesterdayā€¦ but otherwise happy.

Very nice secure/low tech method to backup plants while away from home.

Peace,
F2F

Loc Dog

Veteran
Any suggestion on minimum size cups. Found 2 ounce, but would think light would make it to bottom. Thinking maybe 8 oz.

F2F

I tried some shot sized cups and for my environment/setup, didnā€™t work as well as beer cup size. Probably the water level depleted faster if I guessed.

Peace
F2F

Loc Dog

Veteran
I tried some shot sized cups and for my environment/setup, didnā€™t work as well as beer cup size. Probably the water level depleted faster if I guessed.

Peace
F2F
Think more important is light penetration. Might try experiment to see how deep it gets. Do you have opinion on cloning large cuts Vs small cuts? Mine are indoor tent so smaller and tighter is best.

F2F

Think more important is light penetration. Might try experiment to see how deep it gets. Do you have opinion on cloning large cuts Vs small cuts? Mine are indoor tent so smaller and tighter is best.
Haha. Somewhat relative I suppose. For me, 8ā€-12ā€ clones (from top to bottom of cut) work best in beer cups. havent much tried large ones though.

Peace
F2F

420 bhudda

I have left clones in water for over a week. Cuts stayed healthy. As for successful rooting some strains do better than others. I like the idea this is all simple gear that's easy to obtain.

Reactions: F2F

Bio boy

This clone is great. You can use it to make clones and determine sex in pre-flower. Rarely do I lose a cutting. View attachment 18788926

I use a smaller clear plastic cup sitting in an aluminum drink can to protect roots from light. Tap water in fine.
To determine pre flower do you put the cuts straight in 12/12 or wait till they root ? Iā€™m doing this to sex right now but there in 20/4 propagation atm to root? Sounds like u slap em in flower room straight away

Legalcdn

To determine pre flower do you put the cuts straight in 12/12 or wait till they root ? Iā€™m doing this to sex right now but there in 20/4 propagation atm to root? Sounds like u slap em in flower room straight away
You can place them in flower room and water in a week. Flowers should show in 1-2 weeks.

SofaKingStupid

Does anyone feel that ph is in any way important to the cutting before roots form? For example if your tap water is around 7.6 ph. Would anyone drop the ph from the jump?
Also, does cloramine effect the rooting?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Does anyone feel that ph is in any way important to the cutting before roots form? For example if your tap water is around 7.6 ph. Would anyone drop the ph from the jump?
Also, does cloramine effect the rooting?
I only use RO or rain to root in and never tap water. Some people can do it where they are but I always get better results using pure water.

SofaKingStupid

T
I only use RO or rain to root in and never tap water. Some people can do it where they are but I always get better results using pure water.
Thank you Creeperpark. Yea. I think Iā€™m gonna have to do that here. Thatā€™s what I started my moms in and they loved it. I started them in distilled and Toped their 5 gallon bucket with tap once the roots looked healthy and abundant. I just never really had a whole lot of trouble rooting. And now I find they use cloramine in my tap water. I got some tap water conditioner for plants thatā€™s supposed to take care of the cloramine but so far Iā€™ve only used it for topping off moms.

Latest posts

Latest posts