What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone lighting. How much? How far?

Concert Photos

Hi all. Just bought an aeroponic cloning machine after murdering 3 trays of clones in 6 weeks.. Wondering how much light to give the babies and how far the light should be from the tops.

I have two choices in lights. I have a 2 foot long 24 watt T5 and I have a 175 watt mini sunburst metal halide light. Which one should I use for the 25 clones in the cloning machine, and how far from the clones should each light be depending on which one I use? Also, should I maybe intensify the light daily?

For example. Maybe the first couple days I only use 3 bulbs of the 4 in my T5. Then after a few days turn on the 4th bulb? Then after a week start using the 175W bulb but keep it 10 feet away from the clones? Or is that just stupid? Thanks a TON! Really appreciate the help!

troutman

Seed Whore
Go with the T-5's. Anywhere between 12 - 14 inches should be far enough.
Wait until they root before bringing the lights closer. Too much light will fry
them every time so it's better to go slow.

Good Luck.

Concert Photos

Go with the T-5's. Anywhere between 12 - 14 inches should be far enough.
Wait until they root before bringing the lights closer. Too much light will fry
them every time so it's better to go slow.

Good Luck.

Thanks! Hypothetical.....Let's pretend I have to much light on them. If I do checkups on the clones every couple hours, will I start to notice signs of them frying before they get fried and be able to save them? Or will I just go do a checkup and they'll be dead? What signs will I notice that they have to much light? Droopy? Color change? Other?

troutman

Seed Whore
I actually cloned before just under an incandescent bulb in my bathroom on a shelf about the distance I mention.
I didn't even use a dome. I just misted 6+ times a day. I think the humidity of my bathroom helped too. It took
about 12 days for the clone to root. The small pot was sitting in maybe 1/2" of water. I'm not the best cloner.
So I'm happy even if I get 50% to root. The main thing is to keep trying and don't give up. I'm messed up lots
of clones so as most people I bet. Just keep trying.

Using fluorescent or T-5's are much better though than a cheap incandescent. lol.

This was my lonely bathroom clone. :biggrin:

fetch

I veg them under t5s for about 2 weeks. keeping the light 14" away for those first 2 weeks, move them closer to the light as they mature a bit and start using your water up. I have also vegged them at around 8" but you have to keep them moist which is hard to do if you are busy. when things are going bad you will notice yellowing of lower leaves, droopy leaves, and wet soil when too wet. Wilted or dry clones just kind of dry up and die if they aren't moist. Dying leaves is also a good sign they aren't taking off.....some clones just dont make roots and you keep watering to find it basically in the same condition as how it started when you took the clone with no roots, if your plant is unhealthy so will the clones so make sure its healthy first. I often just throw the clones off to the side of the light so they aren't directly under it,this helps with the soil drying up too quick, or shade them under some canopy in a tent, After they root out around 2 weeks you will notice upward growth, green growth and the roots using and drying your medium of water. I water my cuttings in really good the first time after cutting them. leave them under the dome sealed , open it once a day to replenish the air and then after 4-5 days you can water again. After 2 weeks of just keeping them alive you should be set

hamstring

Veteran
I veg them under t5s for about 2 weeks. keeping the light 14" away for those first 2 weeks, move them closer to the light as they mature a bit and start using your water up. I have also vegged them at around 8" but you have to keep them moist which is hard to do if you are busy. when things are going bad you will notice yellowing of lower leaves, droopy leaves, and wet soil when too wet. Wilted or dry clones just kind of dry up and die if they aren't moist. Dying leaves is also a good sign they aren't taking off.....
some clones just dont make roots and you keep watering to find it basically in the same condition as how it started when you took the clone with no roots,
if your plant is unhealthy so will the clones so make sure its healthy first. I often just throw the clones off to the side of the light so they aren't directly under it,this helps with the soil drying up too quick, or shade them under some canopy in a tent, After they root out around 2 weeks you will notice upward growth, green growth and the roots using and drying your medium of water. I water my cuttings in really good the first time after cutting them. leave them under the dome sealed , open it once a day to replenish the air and then after 4-5 days you can water again. After 2 weeks of just keeping them alive you should be set

I was wondering if that happened to other people. I have taken cuttings and 14 days later they look as good as the day I took them. EXCEPT-They never get any roots.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I don't know how big this rooting area is. If it's a domestic tray, say 35 cells, then 24w is just nice. They really don't want much, as we are not wanting them to focus on growing. They can't meet any demands, when they have no root system. 24w a foot or so away, should be ample. You may even see them struggling with deficiencies. It's a good starting point though.

SeaDog_BC

f-e nailed it. Cuttings are not like normal plants. They have no roots so very limited ability to use light or water. More light or higher temps are both like pressing down the accelerator pedal when they have no ability to keep up.

The trick to cloning is basically just "not killing them" for two weeks. Avoiding doing things that will make them wilt or rot or burn and they'll figure themselves out in time. Trying to supercharge it will only make it worse.