What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CleanLight promises Powdery Mildew and Bud Mold control without chemicals

HarryM

I have discovered the CleanLight unit to prevent bud mold and powdery mildew. It actually works. I have tested it on some Purple Kush (mildew kush!!). No mildew. I believe that this technology will become the "go-to" way of dealing with these problems, without the use of any chemicals. I also believe that this is a good business opportunity.

UVB boosting degrades THC. I think that's probably the main reason these aren't usually used commercially. If you're advertising for home use I think this is probably the wrong subforum.

Molds are generally caused by high RH/overcrowding/poor circulation and can generally be avoided with competent growing practices.

Is the product more effective than a UV scrubber on the air intake? Any product data?

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
I find that I avoid these fungi by using mycorrizae, & tricoderma, and other beneficials. Start by establishing mycorrizae on seedlings/clones. Once they are established, add trichoderma, which in my case is unnecessary, as coco already has plenty of trichoderma. Micorrizae is Lightwarrior seed starter mix in solo cups. When cups are filled with roots, transplant to coco, and the two work symbiotically. If you start them together, the trichoderma will eat the mycorrizae before they get established. Other bennies can be added to prevent harmful fungi. Have never had them using these methods.

hle144

UVB boosting degrades THC. It's why people don't use these products commercially. If you're advertising for home use I think this is probably the wrong subforum.

Molds are generally caused by high RH/overcrowding/poor circulation and can generally be avoided with competent growing practices.

Is the product more effective than a UV scrubber on the air intake? Any product data?

My pm and mite issues disappeared when u paid more attention to the rh/circulation/spacing exactly like you called it.

For emergency use I prefer Mighty Wash by NPK Technology. It's 99.85% snake oil but sooo effective...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have discovered the CleanLight unit to prevent bud mold and powdery mildew. It actually works. I have tested it on some Purple Kush (mildew kush!!). No mildew. I believe that this technology will become the "go-to" way of dealing with these problems, without the use of any chemicals. I also believe that this is a good business opportunity.

Funny I thought the real solution was using genetics resistant to PM and Botrytis, as long as they are used, specially for breeding purposes, and if around they will be used to breed with, PM and Botrytis will continue to be a problem, one that did not existed or hardly before the WLD Indica introduction in the late 60's early 70's. Use resistant varieties, it is easy if you try.
Boycott PM variety clones, do not grow then more then once.
My 2 cents worth.....
-SamS

RoostaPhish

Veteran
These are uv-c lights not uvb. and they work miraculously. The only suggestion that I give is to foliar spray them with a product like actinovate, serenade, or tea after using because they kill all the hyphae and spores present, both good and bad. More people don't use them because they only recently became available to the public in the states. The first people I seen selling them was over seas by serious seeds. And only in the states in the past year by a company in Maine. There popularity is growing, a great part of an IPM strategy.

I just watched the video for this product, and it seems like a lot of work.

It says to use it everyday.

Can you imagine walking around your grow and "foliar feeding" everyday with a UVC light?

I'm talking about a gas powered back back sprayer with some essential oils, and neem. Spray an entire warehouse in about 2 minutes. :)

UVC light is not so good for your eyes. They deal with it in Australia, but not many other places in the world.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Funny I thought the real solution was using genetics resistant to PM and Botrytis, as long as they are used, specially for breeding purposes, and if around they will be used to breed with, PM and Botrytis will continue to be a problem, one that did not existed or hardly before the WLD Indica introduction in the late 60's early 70's. Use resistant varieties, it is easy if you try.
My 2 cents worth.....
-SamS

interesting, i am not sure about that. I saw when PM came into our area, on Vancouver Island. In the early 80's it didnt exist, i would say it was around 89 that the first cases came about. One could grow strains outside in 1985 and nothing would get pm, but the same strains grown in 95 would easily. I was talking to reeferman about it one time and he said that it came in on mandarin oranges from out of the country, and now we have it in our area. Not sure on that, but i can tell you that PM was never a thing in our environment years ago, but now its all over the place, in the forests on all kinds of vegetation. I find it hard to believe the large prevalence of it was spread from pot plants, into the area. outside my house there is a spot under a fir tree that get PM every year, for example, no plants anywhere nearby.

now i am wondering about the WLD. As we had an excellent roadkill skunk from 1980 onward, and it was a very wide leaf indica. it never had pm until around 1989, as i mentioned.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
interesting, i am not sure about that. I saw when PM came into our area, on Vancouver Island. In the early 80's it didnt exist, i would say it was around 89 that the first cases came about. One could grow strains outside in 1985 and nothing would get pm, but the same strains grown in 95 would easily. I was talking to reeferman about it one time and he said that it came in on mandarin oranges from out of the country, and now we have it in our area. Not sure on that, but i can tell you that PM was never a thing in our environment years ago, but now its all over the place, in the forests on all kinds of vegetation. I find it hard to believe the large prevalence of it was spread from pot plants, into the area. outside my house there is a spot under a fir tree that get PM every year, for example, no plants anywhere nearby.

now i am wondering about the WLD. As we had an excellent roadkill skunk from 1980 onward, and it was a very wide leaf indica. it never had pm until around 1989, as i mentioned.

If you check up with the greenhouse industry or farmers agricultural pathogen service you will find that PM was around and a problem in BC for the industry for many years before you think, it has always been there, it is air born everywhere as spores, ascospores, and they are everywhere. Within each ascocarp are several asci. Maybe it got worse, that I can not say. Or maybe their clones are already carrying PM, I have no idea, excep tthe NLD varieties in the same greenhouse as WLD varieties with PM do not get it, why is that? Resistance!!
-SamS

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i am not arguing about resistance, but the origination of the problem. It seems that maybe its global warming that has allowed PM to take such a strong foothold in western Canada on the coast. As i said, we had strains that got 0 PM, but then eventually, pretty much any strain could get it around here. i recall the first time a large outdoor grower around here encountered it, he was raving about some supremely frosty cropping, it was because it was the first time PM was seen in our area in weed plants, so it was mistaken for crystal formation. as it came into being in our area, i cant see how it could be caused by non resistant strains being introduced, as its everywhere, not just in grow-rooms or outdoor plots. i guess our area just became infested.

HarryM

i am not arguing about resistance, but the origination of the problem. It seems that maybe its global warming that has allowed PM to take such a strong foothold in western Canada on the coast. As i said, we had strains that got 0 PM, but then eventually, pretty much any strain could get it around here. i recall the first time a large outdoor grower around here encountered it, he was raving about some supremely frosty cropping, it was because it was the first time PM was seen in our area in weed plants, so it was mistaken for crystal formation. as it came into being in our area, i cant see how it could be caused by non resistant strains being introduced, as its everywhere, not just in grow-rooms or outdoor plots. i guess our area just became infested.
There is a hypothesis that the PM which attacks cannabis is the same strain that attacks hops. Hops are becoming a big crop on Vancouver Island. It's a question of which came first, the hops PM or the cannabis PM. Interesting.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The germicidal UVC lamps have been used in hospitals and research labs for decades , this UK site has lots of info and products that could be used , and data on doses for various fungi ect.

http://www.uv-light.co.uk/disinfection/uv-c.php

There could be a small margin between killing the mould and damaging the plant.

Daub Marley

UVB boosting degrades THC. I think that's probably the main reason these aren't usually used commercially.
Yeah but it increases the THC production in the plant. More UV-B=more THC. This is well known.
My 2 cents worth.....
-SamS
That's like at least half the gene-pool. It's not an option.

There area a myriad of ways to prevent and stop fungal infections. Using light is a novel method that is not very practical.

catbuds

Sams right about it being airborne. All fungus can become airbourn in dormancy. So can bacteria. Air coming for outdoors should always be filtered. Especially in high humidity areas like here near the Chesapeake bay. Circulating humid air without filtration is of no help. So filter for more than just odor control, filter out thoes fungus spores & bacteria yeast cells. Also, in humid areas, invest in a dehumidifier. It could just save your indoor crop.

- I'd also like to stress that every grower should own a microscope. A pocket 'scope can show you what's up BEFORE you have crop damaging issues, & they're affordable. I paid $12.99 2yrs ago. Heard they're up to $29.99 now, but still worth it.

Latest posts

Latest posts