What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Circle-o'-green (YAHIB)

Zifnab

Hello world!

First and foremost (actually secondly since "hello world!" was first but who counts...) The idea behind my contraption was shamelessly ripped from the "spaceship" that Heath used to fly to the dark side of the moon. Hence the YAHIB = Yet another Heath inspired build. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and all that, so kudos to him.

Thirdly, this is my second liquid based grow and fifth overall so I'm quite new to the growing, but hey, you got to start from somewhere.

Forthly, About the build. The plants are in netpots which are in a tube circling the area behind the mylar. The tube itself has a diameter of 11cm and is circling the light at the distance of ~55cm. The illuminated area itself has a diameter of 100cm and is hangin in the air by wires. So it is acting as a heatshield more effectively since it is not touching(mostly) the pipe itself where the water runs. The pipe has a 100 slots("plant numbers dictate yields" @DHF, or something like that, too lazy to check...) to fill but this time it is running at much lower count. This is its maiden voyage and already it is outdated since i'm having new ideas how to build another which is more efficient and easier to manage, mostly about the latter. The nutrient solution runs about ~6pH and ~1EC. One thing still puzzles me is what are the effective angles that lamp projects light so that it is positioned the right way and by so defining the growth area in terms of height. The way the light is hanging and the ground wire is in the air! yeah, I know, but it is secured and if for some reason the strings fail it will hang by the powercord. I don't like the rattling of chains because it is a weird sound coming from another flat or so I would guess and I'm trailing off again...

Fifthly, putting the plants in the system is a major PITA. So there is going to be a revised version after this run. I need to get rid of the mylar and just wrap the tubings in a reflective insulation (à la Heath) which I have no clue where to get or even have a name for that in this country (or I just simply have been too lazy to dedicate enough time for the search. *Note to self, probably just should walk to hardware store and simply ask...) Another option is to use bubblewrap and then put the mylar on top of that.

Sixthly, really, still counting, got to stop this... These plants do not contain any narcotic elements and are meant to be edible and by that I mean, I'm going to put them in my plate and eat 'em, quite the health bombs that they are. Dont believe me ? Don't care.

Sevently, as I mentioned earlier I'm quite new to this, so there is still much to learn. Second time that I actually measure the nutrient solution with EC and PH values and not winging it just by pouring some arbitrary amounts to the medium. I have not even pruned a plant before! From what i've read the bottom third of the plant should be cut out since the light can not reach there effectively during flowering, but wait a minute! HE SAID IN FLOWERING!. Yes, I flower the plants just because... pretty, double rainbows, unicorns and all that *hit, still going to eat them (yes, unicorns too)

Eightly, Why did I unleash some irrelevant information not concerning the grow itself ? First post and the fact that I can, ha! Why did you post information that doesn't make you look like an expert ? Because I am not.

Nightly(wot? are these numerations even written correctly...) and the song running while wrapping up these incoherent ramblings, Olegparadox - Flight To Elysium. Relevant ? Computer says no. Stop reading and get to the next section!

Finally, TL;DR pics

Zifnab

Perhaps I vegged too long... Some leaves are 5 - 10cm away from the bulb. Got to start cutting soon...

Day 8:

LSWM

What size bulb you running in there? I'd start taking some of the fans further in the back soon. The ones that are being shaded by the branches ahead can all be taken off. Don't do it all at once but just a few at a time.

Looks healthy!

Latest posts

Latest posts