What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chocolate Thai Revival

Redrum92

Hi Redrum92

No have not tried the fridge germination yet.
They are stored in the fridge though.

Definitely good to store them there!

Storing them in the cold and germinating them in the cold are 2 very different things and have 2 very different purposes. This is all a theory anyway, but I think it's worth a try, in combination with the other tips people have given you, mostly because it's very unlikely to cause harm

Again, wishing you luck. Would love to see this happen

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm looking at all the different tips trying this and that.
Have some in soil, some on tpaper/GA3 and another set of seeds soaking in GA3 for a day.
The fridge germination I will try next.
Much appreciated to all and thx.

Attachments

• Thai.jpg
    Thai.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 34

acespicoli

The hormones and enzymes stored in the seed between the embryo and embryo case dry up in old seed and why they dont germinate or go past throwing a small root. Some seed will even split and look like they are about to germ but re close and die.

Cleaning the old seed in a wash i think 3% peroxide ( you need to check that ) is important to remove and contaminants.

Then you need to replace the lost hormones and enzymes.

The coconut water mix works well to increase old seed germination but even then when the seed are to old it to will fail.

Best chance to get them up is using something like

GA3 Gibberellic Acid.​

1% - 3% peroxide is cool take 1/4 cup 3% peroxide and mix with a half cup of distilled water
One percent was preferred
this post here #161
1678665426103.png

scuffing with sandpaper and pre cracking seeds or removing shells is a last resort as well
🙏 high hopes :pimp3:
Nice post hempy !

Last edited:

F2F

Edit: one of the ingredients was listed incorrectly.

From an old IC member. Fresh EWC has been my ticket to success with old seeds. The old ones may not start spouting until 30d later, but they do it!

Old seed germination technique
Preparation
A. Bleach Solution: 1tbs bleach + 1gallon tap H2O
B. Coconut Solution: 1/4th tsp H2O2 + 2 shots coconut water + ½ drop of Rapidstart
C. EWC in starter pots, FRESH!! Must not contain residual organic matter or mold will grow.
Process
1. Soak seeds in bleach solution 20min
2. Gloves for all subsequent handling steps
3. Rinse with tapwater in strainer
4. Soak in coconut solution 12hr
5. Crack seeds at each end, not middle
6. Soak additional 12hr to 24hr (preferred)
7. Sow at ¼” - ½” beneath substrate (fresh EWC). Keep EWC loose to promote oxygen exchange.
8. Cover with dome, keep @80 – 85deg F for up to 30 days. Do not let EWC dry out. Mist spray EWC, dome, and walls to maintain RH of 85 – 99%.

Peace
F2F

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I saw this video few days ago its an experiment using two different strengths of GA3 and the results thought you mite find it helpful.

I am in day 7 of using a GA3 seed germination pad i ordered for some old seed now my self.

420empire

Veteran
From an old IC member. Fresh EWC has been my ticket to success with old seeds. The old ones may not start spouting until 30d later, but they do it!

Old seed germination technique
Preparation
A. Bleach Solution: 1tbs bleach + 1gallon tap H2O
B. Coconut Solution: 1/4th tsp H2O2 + 2 shots coconut milk + ½ drop of Rapidstart
C. EWC in starter pots, FRESH!! Must not contain residual organic matter or mold will grow.
Process
1. Soak seeds in bleach solution 20min
2. Gloves for all subsequent handling steps
3. Rinse with tapwater in strainer
4. Soak in coconut solution 12hr
5. Crack seeds at each end, not middle
6. Soak additional 12hr to 24hr (preferred)
7. Sow at ¼” - ½” beneath substrate (fresh EWC). Keep EWC loose to promote oxygen exchange.
8. Cover with dome, keep @80 – 85deg F for up to 30 days. Do not let EWC dry out. Mist spray EWC, dome, and walls to maintain RH of 85 – 99%.

Peace
F2F
Nice write up! When u write coconut milk do u mean the one in a can or coconut water in bottle? By that I mean the ones you can enjoy as a refreshment ? :)

Cheers

F2F

Nice write up! When u write coconut milk do u mean the one in a can or coconut water in bottle? By that I mean the ones you can enjoy as a refreshment ? :)

Cheers
Ah yeah, need to fix that…coconut WATER. Just edited that post. Thanks 420!

I’ve bought young fresh coconut and collected the water inside…actually the stuff sold as a drink in the store has worked better for me (small sample number however).

Peace
F2F

FranJan

Lots of coconut water have a "shit-ton" of sodium. Not all but I would avoid the ones that do. Unless sodium is what's good for old seeds.

And IDK why you folks love Hydrogen Peroxide. Very reactive and doesn't discriminate between good or bad when it comes to organics. Great in anaerobic conditions. And nowadays isn't the main use of hydrogen-peroxide to bleach paper? I don't think bleach or H2O2 are what is best for plant material. But that's just me.

Just did some leftover ~12 year old Mr Nice Critical Mass seeds I found stored in a contact lens case. Not that easy a seed to germ successfully which is probably the reason Mr. Nice gives you 22 to 24 seeds with CM instead of the usual 18. So with 2 water soaked, (50/50 mix of tap water and r/o water), coffee filters between 2 plates on an electrical radiator I put in 12 seeds. 10 popped 8 were viable and 7 are growing ATM. Some were slow to pop that's for sure.

Best of luck @Zanddar. I know people who haven't smoked in 25+ years who would line up for a week to buy huge quantities of real deal 80's era Chocolate Thai. Seriously Z, if some seeds pop PM me when you want to retire! :)

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I saw this video few days ago its an experiment using two different strengths of GA3 and the results thought you mite find it helpful.

I am in day 7 of using a GA3 seed germination pad i ordered for some old seed now my self.

So did it work?

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots of coconut water have a "shit-ton" of sodium. Not all but I would avoid the ones that do. Unless sodium is what's good for old seeds.

And IDK why you folks love Hydrogen Peroxide. Very reactive and doesn't discriminate between good or bad when it comes to organics. Great in anaerobic conditions. And nowadays isn't the main use of hydrogen-peroxide to bleach paper? I don't think bleach or H2O2 are what is best for plant material. But that's just me.

Best of luck @Zanddar. I know people who haven't smoked in 25+ years who would line up for a week to buy huge quantities of real deal 80's era Chocolate Thai. Seriously Z, if some seeds pop PM me when you want to retire! :)
Hi FranJan

I agree with you on some things being bad for plant life and I only do a quick rinse of the seeds.

Doing what I love to do and retiring with my CT seed business? Ok I will look you up when I get there. :cool:

Nothing yet with my CT seed business.

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello everyone. :cool:

Been thinking about and trying many tips. Rather than just cracking the shells, why not just remove them?
Now that the shells are soft I gently removed the embryo from the shell. We can see some look healthy and alive.
I dumped a few that were black and dead looking. Have them in an organic growth solution. It's easy to over complicate things, when simple may work.

Attachments

• Choc Thai - 1.JPG
    Choc Thai - 1.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 26

romanoweed

if taproots came out and then died, you need to plant em in earthwormcastings after h2o2 and gibberlic-threatment, and keep a very steady moisture for months. you can achieve that with humidity dome (selfmade with plastic fine), and just spray with a watersprayerbottle (or what you call in english) all couple days, so its never too wet, not to dry..

wait for weeks, months..
for us after 3 months a survivor came up! grows slow, but is alive.
yes it can really take that long

(also: the more earthwormcastings, the slower it dries out..)

romanoweed

i personally find removing shells unlogical.. the taproots have a certain power, why on earth would removing any resistance of the shell help.. if theyre soo mega weak, then they are anyway too weak.. just my thinking. but cracking is also what i doo. also later when they come out dirt and then stagnate with the shell on the head i try to remove it,,
for me just cracking or sandpapering is enough, so the liquids can enter well, but without damaging the taprots

romanoweed

and dont overdo the h2o2. there was a scientific paper wich found out too much is too much, simple as that.

dillute a 3 percent h2o2 solution by a factor of 100. (1 part h202 100 parts water) . thats optimal. not more, nore lesss than that.
(for a 16 percent solution, doo the math yourselve.)

romanoweed

my reciepe is inspired from @SolarLogos, who told me its a very prooven reciepe, that he ended up with after many many attemts with various old seeds, and seemed to yeald the best results.
And i read quiet alot reports of old-seed-germination, and found him to sound most experienced and confident..
He is nomore active.. only thing i didnt mention is he used coconut water sometimes aswell.. but its not the most important detail. Ahh, and gibberlic/Coconut Threatment for about 3 Days i recall.

ok , good luck!

Last edited: