What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CHEM D - Fake or Real?

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
~
Click image for larger version  Name:	C12588F7-21BF-44F0-BDA1-09590B39ACB4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	209.9 KB ID:	17897345
Click image for larger version  Name:	C12588F7-21BF-44F0-BDA1-09590B39ACB4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	209.9 KB ID:	17897345

Dimajones-AICC-

Veteran
Phinest offers the real Chem D.

I’ve notice the Chem d shows more variegation traits when low of N.
High on N plants will show just a bit of it.

My two cents.

Desert Dan

Veteran
I’ve heard from several sources who have had both say the Phinest cut is NOT the real ChemD. I recently got a snip of the real ChemD and have the vegging side by side.

The variegation on the real cut is extreme in comparison.
image.jpg

Zero variegation on a healthy Phinest…
image.jpg

I’ll follow up once I flower them side by side, but the variegated cut already smells way funkier!

-DD

ICGA

Ide bet my left nut Chem is just (Northern lights 5 x SENSI hashplant) S1 bag seed so that's probably a supper pissed off s2 off the original S1 they found in "the bud from the Greatfull dead concert". Pissed off meaning so homozygous it can't adapt to changes in the environment very well.

ICGA

Ide also bet my right nut Bubba kush is just a Mazari Afgan x (Sensi's Hindukush x afgan kush hybred) or an s1 found in a bag of that.

Piff_cat

also tissue culture has been shown to induce genetic reconfigurations like methylation or epigenetic silencing. a plant that already has some possible chromosomal irregularities will most likely get more weird after tc

ICGA

also tissue culture has been shown to induce genetic reconfigurations like methylation or epigenetic silencing. a plant that already has some possible chromosomal irregularities will most likely get more weird after tc
What about just clonex? Do you think that will alter biochemistry or genetics? As apposed rooting without hormones?

ICGA

interesting thing about chem is it has 5 thc synthases. one has a stop codon, one a pseudo gene and 3 active. haze also has 4 to 5 synthases. after that the highest is 3. something funky going on with chem line for sure
This is a thread I made for some questions I have about genetics, let me know if you have any idea about the answers if you have time. The questions are in ascending order of difficulty and some may still require further research to be answered.

https://www.icmag.com/threads/how-many-phenotypes-are-there-in-an-s2-generation.18123465/

Thanks!

Piff_cat

What about just clonex? Do you think that will alter biochemistry or genetics? As apposed rooting without hormones?
clonex is just some auxin hormones to increase response time at the cut and a tissue softener to make it easier for roots to grow thru its totally fine.
with tissue culture your talking about regrowing an entire plant from just a nodal explant kept in sterilized conditions and steered thru the growing process by specific hormone and nutrient feeding. this is possible because plants are able to regrow all their organs from meristem cells. while they will be genetically(dna) identical, many of the plant processes that control secondary metabolites(terpenes, cannabinoids)levels are controlled by non-dna means. transcription rate regulation- increase or decrease of synthase enzymes which produce secondary metabolites from common precursors, methylation, and epigenetic silencing would be examples.

its a similar concept to how s1s arent the same as the clone only, but with tissue culture its much less severe change. however when you have a characteristic as varigation, even the smallest changes will be obvious.
for this reason- phinest chem d could be real and fake at the same time. it looks like some of the chem d tissue culture clones have more severe varigation, while some have less. in this way if we could understand what causes the varigation to begin with-most likely trisomic aneuploidity- then could determine how to use tissue culture to actually improve clone onlys.

Piff_cat

chemdmorre.jpg

this would be an example of tissue culture increasing the varigation, which should be a net positive. varigations most likely cause is different ploidity levels in different layers of tissue(chimera) which would jive with the increase of thc synthases. depending on the levels in the original explant would effect the levels of the new tc plants. you see very similar circumstance with cuban black haze

Chandrika

The variegation comes with elevated calcium and potassium. Youre looking at unmetabolized calcium in the presence of potassium, blocking the movement of boron, which will shift the fatty acid profile of the plant.

Chem vocs are aliphatic (derived from fats). Cannabinoids are aliphatic. So what is Chem D? The boron deficient pheno? Intentional? Or a boron hungry pheno with an affinity for fatty acid production? All these photos of variegation are unintentional? Am I supposed to withhold boron to get the Chem D flavor or not? Would Chem D smell like Chem X Y or Z when grown without calcium-potassium injury?

Who knows. Maybe in 20 years Monsanto will tell us what Chem D actually is, since the grower and smoker communitys can't standardize a set of traits for something which is nothing but distinct traits that need standardized.

Youll never see variegation in Chem D with proper boron ratios. That's a fact. Why is it so hard to get an answer on whether that's the goal or not, to shift fatty acid profile in the plant?

Does Boron deficiency make bud more dank? Is that what I'm missing?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chem D has the worst case of variegation I've ever seen. I've had a few strains with it over the years. I have a plant now that reminds me of chem D but is not related in any way with some.. Chem D is an extreme example. Boosting mag has improved this for me.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Youll never see variegation in Chem D with proper boron ratios. That's a fact. Why is it so hard to get an answer on whether that's the goal or not, to shift fatty acid profile in the plant?

You'll never see the Chem D Variegation in a non Chem D or Chem D related plant with Boron deficiency (or whatever excess/deficiency causes it )
It is something about the D genetics that causes the phenomena as well as the deficiency. I have had the cut for 10+ years and it is just as potent whether you got more or less variegation that round.
I don't think it is the variegation that causes the potency, so no, i don't think that Boron def. makes bud more dank. Interesting post though
VG

Piff_cat

The variegation comes with elevated calcium and potassium. Youre looking at unmetabolized calcium in the presence of potassium, blocking the movement of boron, which will shift the fatty acid profile of the plant.

Chem vocs are aliphatic (derived from fats). Cannabinoids are aliphatic. So what is Chem D? The boron deficient pheno? Intentional? Or a boron hungry pheno with an affinity for fatty acid production? All these photos of variegation are unintentional? Am I supposed to withhold boron to get the Chem D flavor or not? Would Chem D smell like Chem X Y or Z when grown without calcium-potassium injury?

Who knows. Maybe in 20 years Monsanto will tell us what Chem D actually is, since the grower and smoker communitys can't standardize a set of traits for something which is nothing but distinct traits that need standardized.

this may be true on a micro nutrients level as the cause, but it skips the question of why the plant is unable to properly metabolize the micronutrients. and this is almost always due to a genetic abnormality most often in the mitochondrial dna but it could also be aneuploidity in one of the cell tissues. many times plants from extreme enviorments will have mitotic or meiotic issues which lead to non disjunction or unreduced 2n gametes. these abnormalities set off a gene dosage chain reaction. cupped cotyledon mutation would be an example. it would also explain why the plant has 5 thc synthases(chem91) it would be interesting to look at chem91s whole genome since it is done but i doubt it is notated

all of these plants are progeny of nevils haze c male and have varying levels of the varigation which depends on how many copies of mutation present in progenitors from 1 in jack herer all the way to 3 in uptown black. ssh si the last pic and has 2 copies
jpiff.jpg
uptownblackk.jpg
sshmut.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts