What's new

Cheaper solution for Odor control

awwc

I am looking on any input on how to control odor during the grow more efficiently in terms of cost, I am now totally overengineered I feel like and would like to know what a cheaper solution might be. I am considering going back to tents with negative air pressure and two carbon filters but this is not that cost effective. I Need a solution that's not a sealed room but any cheap solutions that actually eliminate the odor are welcomed. I do grow pretty stinky (understatement tbh) stuff so something totally barebones is not ideal (I think.)

I really don't to spend a couple thoussand again on odor elimination for the next (relatively small) build.

I know it depends a lot on location but a room in room with exhaust in the room is really not an option.

Any input is very much valued.

awwc

Negative pressure and a carbon scrubber sounds like a pretty solid plan to me.

What else is even an option? Ozone? That's not gonna be cheaper.
I've talked with quite a bit of people in the industry (air filtration and stuff) and there are quite a few options besides negative air pressure and carbon tbh, just trying to get some input from the people on the forum.

You never know maybe someone has a genius low cost idea.

Ca++

Carbon is the standard for absorption. If there was a better way, we would know about it. Both better and cheaper? that would be a game changer that reached far out of our field.

Other ideas generally revolve around destroying the smell, but with limited effect. One idea did surface a year or so back, using plasma for a very rapid treatment. As yet, nothing of any scale has shown up. I think it's still a lab experiment.

If people have made other suggestions, please do share them.

awwc

Carbon is the standard for absorption. If there was a better way, we would know about it. Both better and cheaper? that would be a game changer that reached far out of our field.

Other ideas generally revolve around destroying the smell, but with limited effect. One idea did surface a year or so back, using plasma for a very rapid treatment. As yet, nothing of any scale has shown up. I think it's still a lab experiment.

If people have made other suggestions, please do share them.
It's not really about the carbon filter. It's about either sealing the room adding CO2 which for some locations is hard etc. It's about the whole building a room which honestly, sometimes the room is a controlled room but sometimes the room you find yourself in is already so isolated and controlled building another structure inside of that for the most part is super pointless, that is if it wasn't for odor.

I mean... negative air pressure + carbon filter is most likely the cheapest option in a tent but in a room I hope there is just some kind of material or sealing technique which does not break the bank for temporary locations.

St. Phatty

The most effective solution I've seen is an industrial strength Ozone generator, like sewage plants used.

One of the grow stores in Berkeley demo'ed it for me around 1991.

It was impressive and smelled really good.

Though you don't want to spend too much time smelling the ozone, it is extremely reactive. Combines with odor molecules and then turns into a piece of dust.

Three Berries

The most effective solution I've seen is an industrial strength Ozone generator, like sewage plants used.

One of the grow stores in Berkeley demo'ed it for me around 1991.

It was impressive and smelled really good.

Though you don't want to spend too much time smelling the ozone, it is extremely reactive. Combines with odor molecules and then turns into a piece of dust.
That's how my furnace one works. It actually will strike a arc like a spark plug if a piece of dust gets in it.

Ca++

I think my bigger ozone is 4 plates, about 35w. My little one is about 4w. Even wedged in my bathroom extractor, them excited particles were coming into the bathroom. I had to pop a small tube over the extractor, to keep the thing more contained.
If you can smell it, it is bad. I have never used the bigger one, but know the mingle time has to be quite long to be effective. One marketed long ago, needed the air and ozone to pass through a good few meters of duct together. They gave a folded box design about a cubic meter to help with that mingle time.

I didn't mind the bathroom blowing out a bit of smelly air, that drifted away with the low level of ozone I had. I couldn't use the big one though. It's just scrap really. I would need a big chimney stack to use that.

Sealed is inherently unsafe. You really need it in a tent like build, where the room it's in, has that negative pressure and carbon running. The room should never see air from the tent. However, it will constantly. Smell comes out the zippers, and you have to open it at times. There is no air tight room. It would involve air-locks with a neg pressure carbon set. As I basically outlined above. The room the tents in is your airlock.

Three Berries

The non powered electrostatic filters don't produce ozone significantly. Just uses static electricity. They come in standard furnace filter sizes.

My furnace filter is as big as a car radiator and has a small transformer like a ballast for a light. The only time I really smell it is when it first runs or if something is in there causing a constant arc.

It weighs about 25 lbs and is difficult to clean. I soak it in the bath tub with dishwasher soap and it will turn the water black. But there is never any restriction as it's all open plate like design.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
What I do when I have real stinkers is use "charcoal filters" duct taped to a box fan and running on high. Even now, If my buds get too stinky I will use one. One is enough unless you got a lot of plants. They're good for about 60 or 90 days. I bought a case of them for $120 and have only had to use 4 in the last 10 years. They work very well. You can buy one here to put on a box fan.