What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap Nutrient Line for Commercial and Home Grows?

mexweed

Veteran
I thought about dividing the 0.1 into 5 piles too haha, it's only 3 waterings mid flower, so I'm not too worried about it

I actually came here to say the buds are starting to get really sticky and smell really sweet and clean, like a sweeter smell than when I was in organic soil for sure

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Anyone has any ideea why both the ppm and mS values I calculate in Hydrobudy doesn't translate well to real world mixing?
I used Calcium nitrate + MgSo4 + a complete EC NPK fert and tried for 1.6 mS, but ended up with 2.2 mS. The most extra ppm I didn't expected came from the CaN, so I am sure it's not a mistake from me inputting my ec nute percentages.
Is it always that inacurate or I am doing something wrong? I used it with basic settings it came with, only added my nutes into the database. I would love to get inside that 10% error they promise on they're predicted EC.
What I am doing wrong?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I am using Yara Calcinit which is calcium nitrate 26.5/15.5.
I just rechecked and seen the thing they call calcium nitrate is actually calcium ammonium nitrate. So that is now fixed for me, but when I add the Calcinit at 26.5 % Ca and 15.5 % NO3, everytime I use it I get a mS that is negative and about 10 x bigger than you would expect. Like.. 1 gr a liter is -12.156 mS, when it should be... about 0.8 mS?? I don't get what I am doing wrong. It does show 265 ppm Ca and 155 ppm NO3 and nothing else, which baffles me. Is there a way to get a total ppm instead of the predicted ec? Or any of you have any ideea what is the problem with adding calcinit? The other nutes that I added seem to be whithin those 10%.. error, more or less. Certainly no crazy value or negative EC value.

NEVERMIND! I MADE IT WORK!
The program reset to empirical EC model and wasn't calculating well that way. Now the result is still not quite right as 1 gr a liter gives out 1.226 mS, but sounds much better and closer than before.
Thank you for pointing out the ammonium stuff tho! :wave:

Last edited:

Three Berries

If you know the actual percentage of the element in the compound and the actual total weight of the compound, then milligrams=ppm. Or 1000gr per L

So any weight formulas they give you would depend specifically on what products they are using. I'm guessing.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It's a simple 26.5% Ca and 16.5% N, standard Ca(NO3)2 formula. But somehow 265 ppm Ca and 165 ppm (when used @ 1gr a liter) is predicted as 1.226 uS. Which is not within 10% of under 1 mS or whatever 430 ppm means on any of the available EC to ppm conversions. The program kinda contradicts itself.
If someone can tell me if this level of precision is what's to be expected out of the program or I can do stuff to improve the predicted EC, please do!

Ipotato

square-3-324x324.png

Absolem

exploziv;n18079670[B said:
]I am using Yara Calcinit which is calcium nitrate 26.5/15.5[/B].

Hey,

Do you have a link to the Yara calicinit you are using? I've been using YaraLiva Calcinit(15.5%N-19.0%Ca) for many years and haven't seen that ratio. I'm guessing you are in the UK? Ammonium nitrate is hard to get in the US after the bombing in Oklahoma.

Click image for larger version  Name:	download (47).jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.7 KB ID:	18079956

Edit. Found your Yara product. The ammonium is only 1.1%. I would make sure you use "solution grade" fertilizer if mixing it into a stock solution. Under the "Calcinit" on the picture I posted it says solution grade. I don't think the one you are using is solution grade. Might not get fully dissolved in water.

Here's a link to your product.
https://www.yara.co.uk/crop-nutritio...iva-tropicote/

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
No ammonium in my YaraLiva Calcinit. Is same as you are using, but with the percentages I gave you. I am in europe. Anyway, I get more EC than is should in the calculation, even if ppm numbers are good in the same page of the program.
I see a total of 430 ppm on the left, and it says 1.226 predicted EC on the right size. When I mix it to water in real life, ofc, it's under 1 EC, as I would expect on ppm500 scale. There is no scale that would make 430 ppm into 1+ EC, tho, so I am sure something is wrong.
Maybe this is the expected accuracy? Even if they say prediction should be +/- 10% off at most.
Thank you for your time, Absolem . I did not know they make diferent kinds of calcinit.

Legalcdn

I tried Hydrobuddy and was able to get it to work but i prefer simple excel. Try the excel nute calculator at riu. I use it and find it helpful.

remove the spaces below.

https://www rollitup org/t/understanding-and-calculating-nutrient-ppm.995409/page-10

Principante8

Another happy Jack's user here! I'm growing in rockwool feeding full strength since early veg. I'm three weeks into flower on my first run of Jack's professional and the plants are looking nice and strong. I've been following Bill's recommendations and using Mr fulvic with every watering as well as the Mendocino cal mag during transition. I won't ever be going back to GH or House and Garden. Thank you Bill for making this thread!

mexweed

Veteran
as far as flushing out the coco goes, I ran a gallon through my buckets with 0.6g epsom and ph with citric acid, after the first gallon the buds seemed to get a boost of something with some leaves indicating stress/lack of nutrients, the next gallon was just ph with citric acid and the leaves are starting to look more funky, the runoff was clear and ph was the same as before I watered, considering when I mix the 321 it takes my tap ph from about 8 to about 5.8 I don't think there was anything too much getting rinsed out except the first time but the plants also showed signs of lack of nutrients, the buds also didn't smell as loud after watering as when I watered with nutrients

LJ farming

Bill,

I again must thank you for all this information. I am currently running your 3 2 1 recommended ratios with Mr Fulvic. I am doing Coco DTW and have a couple quick questions if you don’t mind before I transplant into my final containers. I am very happily with my roots after 10 days of veg but I seem to be having a slight Calcium deficiency caused by the Coco I presume. So here goes my questions.
1. Should I use Flowering CalMag even though I will not flip for another 2 weeks?
2. When rice hulls are used with Coco DTW do you have a recommendation as to what percentage should be used and also are rice hulls besides being a great source of silica somewhat of a substitute for perlite?
3. Should I ramp up my Jacks EC or will the plants be fine with a full strength coming from a .5 EC clone solution? I am using RO water if that makes a difference.
4. Is there anything I should do differently from your Jacks recommendations because I am doing Coco DTW?

Thank you again for all the information you have already provided and if the plants keep going the way they are now with Jacks I cannot imagine ever looking back.

LJ

LJ farming

Bill,

One more question. Have you seen Jacks recommended bud set/bloom nutrients and finish nutrients they are recommending on their 3-2-1 nutrient schedule? What are your thoughts? Something to try or stick to the original plan?

ExNavyInSTL

Can anyone tell me if you can use DiPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE (D-P-K) in place of mono-potassium phosphate (M-K-P) without harming cannabis plants?

The "Di" tells me there is something extra in the D-K-P.