What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap Nutrient Line for Commercial and Home Grows?

CertifiedRefugee

i have forgot how much bro science is on grow forms nobody does research jus keep repeating what other ppl have said you repeat a lie long enough it eventually becomes the truth:beat-dead

mexweed

Veteran
"finishing" products are another part of the ripoff

there have been tissue sample results provided and opensalts has DIY for some bottled products, of which the DIY hammerhead is what has been advised for weeks 4-6

at week 7 I just do a standard 2.4/1.2/2.4 masterblend feeding

week 8 I bring it down to 2/1/2

for week 9 I start with 0.6g/gallon epsom and ph with citric acid feeding with a little more runoff than usual to loosely mimic some flush products main ingredients, then 4-5 days in I flush with plain water with a bit more runoff and chop 2-3 days later

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
I've seen some very good results with growers using only Canna coco a&b with pk13/14. Which for 99% of the grow would be about 28-29 cents a gallon. Other than the few times your adding pk13/14, but still pk13/14 is like 27$ a liter an its dosage is low.

SCROTUS

you need WAY more magnesium under leds. 1 gram of epsom salts is 26ppm magnesium. i aim for 80-90 in masterblend which is 2.5g epsom AND 1g Magnesium nitrate during veg. 3.5g epsom in flower,, thats just my setup brother
Are others on here running this high Mg? I recently switched from HPS to high quality LED's and I recognize I have a deficiency but that's almost triple. Thanks

SCROTUS

BTW here is a good online chemical store. I like Calcium Acetate for my water soluble Ca.

https://www.laballey.com/
What dosage are you using? I bought the same thing and I disagree with Bill's math on the value. I looked up his bulksupplements version and it contains 25% calcium acetate, making this nearly 4x the strength. I think this translates to Bill's recommendation of .2-.4 grams per gal converting to .05-.1 grams per gal in our situation. Is that how much you're using? Thanks

Three Berries

Nothing? I'm impressed with the knowledge base here compared to the site I'm used to but not so friendly. ;)
I'm not using it anymore. I switched to Calcium Chloride. But it looks like I was making a 1300-1500 ppm solution and then using that as a top dress, 125mL per plant 3 gallon pails.

I just had a Ca deficiency show up at 30 days on my latest grow. I've been kind of expecting it. Been counting on some added limestone in the soil and the Ca in my well water at 50/50 rain/well. A couple days ago got the yellow top growth and added some more DS Limestone and foliar spray with 1300 ppm CaCl. Today a lot of the yellow was gone, gave it another foliar spray.

I'll be adding the CaCl 1300 ppm directly to the soil from now on as needed up to after the switch to 12/12 and will use 100% well water from now on. I figure my well water is around 400 ppm Ca. From the 12/12 on it's Potassium that I need to supplement or so my deficiencies show.

I blame that on my base nute Miracle Grow Bloom Buster being so low on K.

Gooseman23

There is much talk about adding calcium at transition in this thread. I just made a post about masterblend new formula 0-12-24. And to me after playing with the numbers it seems this formula you won’t need to add any calcium at transition.
Here is a link tot he post:

Gooseman23

Essentially with the only source of N being calcium Nitrate that comes with higher calcium than N it is simple to just lower your N while still receiving plenty calcium. So for example running it at 3.25g/gal calcinit you are coming into flowering getting 163ppm calcium. And for later flowering if you want to lower N you can run at 2.5g/gal and have 102ppm N while still having 125ppm calcium all the way through. To me looks like plenty calcium for transition and still plenty calcium for late flowering…

Last edited:

Gooseman23

I typically use rice hulls, DE or Recycle Sil in the soilless mix, but if you want to add silica-

Potassium silicate- 20 lb
$160- 1820 gallons
$0.087/gallon
I’m wondering why not use wollastonite? It’s cheap as hell and more silica available than rice hills I know.. not sure about the others haven’t looked into those..

Gooseman23

Now that Athena has been pushing their new “fade” product, which is calcium chloride+micros, it got me thinking could we just drop the calnit it the last couple weeks of flower and substitute it for calcium chloride and use something like STEM or MOST for the micros? Or are there already enough micros in Mr fulvic?
I would say Mr fulvic has the micros covered for flush. And if I added anything personally it would gypsum which is calcium and sulfur. Still getting the calcium but instead of chloride you get good sulfur that they say boosts terps and flavors.

Three Berries

I use CaCl2 for a Ca top dress and foliar. The plants can take a strong dose. 1300 ppm.

You have to be careful mixing it with sulfides though or high pH.

LostTribe

Premium user
Regarding Jacks 321 and tap water.

Tap reads 250ppm @700scale. Is this suitable for use with the recommended weights for jacks 321 or would I need to adjust the epsom salt?

I'm about out of canna again so figured I might give this a go. I am already using mr fulvic.