What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chapin Sprayers keep breaking

phatkidgenetics

i have been through 4 sprayers in a year and a half or so. the plastic cap at the top that screws in with the handle keeps breaking. ive looked for models with a metal screw cap but they seem to make metal reservoirs but not metal caps. i try to be gentle and the plastic keeps breaking because you have to tighten them down or air leaks. what am i doing wrong? im so tired of buying a new sprayer every few months. all of the plastic gets brittle and then i have to use tools to open them and then all the plastic eventually just crumbles.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
i have been through 4 sprayers in a year and a half or so. the plastic cap at the top that screws in with the handle keeps breaking. ive looked for models with a metal screw cap but they seem to make metal reservoirs but not metal caps. i try to be gentle and the plastic keeps breaking because you have to tighten them down or air leaks. what am i doing wrong? im so tired of buying a new sprayer every few months. all of the plastic gets brittle and then i have to use tools to open them and then all the plastic eventually just crumbles.
Sorry, you have to deal with that kind of shit. Write or call the manufacturer and tell them their product is faulty. The acidic pH causes the plastic to become brittle. Hopefully, someone will find a replacement that doesn't have so many problems.

phatkidgenetics

i contacted chapin and they are replacing two of the broken pumps under warrantee. hopefully i can keep from breaking the new ones. i try to be gentle. i have to be doing something wrong but i also think its the cold weather making them brittle. i wish they made metal pumps!

CrushnYuba

it kind of is what it is. I have this pile of broken sprayers called "the boneyard". giant broken assortment of pump backpack and 2gal hand sprayers. take a piece of one and put it on another with a broken piece. i am constantly replacing any type of pump sprayer. the only ones that have made it are my big electric orchard type sprayers.
i have to say though. at least chapin is a reputable company that offers spare parts and rebuild kits.

phatkidgenetics

it kind of is what it is. I have this pile of broken sprayers called "the boneyard". giant broken assortment of pump backpack and 2gal hand sprayers. take a piece of one and put it on another with a broken piece. i am constantly replacing any type of pump sprayer. the only ones that have made it are my big electric orchard type sprayers.
i have to say though. at least chapin is a reputable company that offers spare parts and rebuild kits.
ive been being super careful just twisting from the outside and not using the handle so it doesnt break the plastic and it seems to be working so far. at least they sent me two new pump handles so once one breaks i have another one.