What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
three vehicles

three vehicles

A classification in Mahayana Buddhism of three kinds of teachings, each tailored to the capacity of a specific set of practitioners and enabling them to attain a state of awakening suited to that capacity. "Vehicle" means that which carries one to a destination or state of awakening. The three vehicles are the teachings expounded for voice-hearers (Skt 'shravaka'), for cause-awakened ones (Skt 'pratyekabuddha'), and for bodhisattvas. The voice-hearer vehicle indicates the teachings that enable voice-hearers to attain the state of arhat by awakening them to the four noble truths. The cause-awakened one vehicle is the teachings that lead practitioners to obtain insight into the causal relationship and impermanence of all phenomena through the doctrine of the twelve-linked chain of causation or by observing the changes in the natural world. The bodhisattva vehicle leads bodhisattvas to near-perfect enlightenment and perfect enlightenment, the fifty-first, and fifty-second of the fifty-two stages of bodhisattva practice, through the practice of the six paramitas. Generally speaking, Mahayana Buddhism describes the two vehicles of voice-hearers and cause-awakened ones as "lesser vehicles," or Hinayana, while emphasizing the bodhisattva vehicle.

The Lotus Sutra, however, declares that the sole purpose of a Buddha's advent in the world is to enable all people to become Buddhas, and that the three vehicles are accordingly not ends in themselves but means to lead the people to the one Buddha vehicle. It identifies the Buddha vehicle as the supreme vehicle that at once encompasses and transcends those three and leads all people to Buddhahood. The "Expedient Means" (second) chapter of the Lotus Sutra says, "The Buddhas, utilizing the power of expedient means, apply distinctions to the one Buddha vehicle and preach as though it were three." It also says, "In the Buddha lands of the ten directions there is only the Law of the one vehicle, there are not two, there are not three." T'ien-t'ai (538-597) expressed this idea as "the replacement of the three vehicles with the one vehicle," a principal that he further divided into two--concise replacement and expanded replacement. The concise replacement of the three vehicles with the one vehicle is a reference to the short passage in the "Expedient Means" chapter that explains "the true aspect of all phenomena" in terms of the ten factors of life. This suggests that all life is endowed with the potential for Buddhahood. The expanded replacement of the three vehicles with the one vehicle refers to the section where Shakyamuni subsequently elaborates on the supremacy of the one vehicle from a variety of perspectives, using parables and other means to explain his meaning. This elaboration includes the latter half of the "Expedient Means" chapter through the "Prophecies" (ninth) chapter.

From the "Dictionary of Buddhism"

Last edited:
G

Good Question PTD

Good Question PTD

Thomas Brother? Hell I don't know. Florida, Hurricane, Texas, Back to same Job, Same house,........Bobby! Who knows what PTB means in my sick mind but I'm sure it means something! Good to hear from you too. Love, SG

GordyP

PTB = PassTheBong!

PTB = PassTheBong!

Sorry about not posting as much, SG, but with all this chanting there just isn't enough time in the day :)

Want you all to know I haven't missed a day of it since making the commitment last week. My drive to work takes a half hour each way, so I get about 20 minutes in to start the day, and another 20 on my drive home. It's already helped in a couple non-expected ways: I get this low nasal cadence going which vibrates my sinus cavities and helps keep them cleared during this allergy season, and it also helps sooth my nerves after a tough day at work and in the freeway NASCAR race on the way home in the afternoon. Very therapeudic!

In addition to the new job offer I've been concentrating on, another option is becoming more and more real now. The engineering group I'm currently working in as a damn contract employee is now wrapping up a deal to spin-off from it's parent company and form a joint-venture with a high-tech business in Florida, where a few of our old staff engineers wound up going. Part of the joint-venture deal is to make all the contract employees in our particular group full-timers! That would mean working as a Salaried employee again, earning good benefits, etc... all the things I was after from this other gig I've been patiently waiting on. NOW...since the first place has waited so long to make up their minds and this new potentially good thing is getting to look more real with each passing day, I'm going to wait to hear what kind of deal this new joint-venture opportunity is planning to cut me. It might just turn out to be a much better option! So I've amended my chanting focus a bit in the past couple days, seeking the good fortune to land the better of the TWO options now before me. Sure is a new and different feeling now to have options to choose from, instead of scrounging around and jumping at the first crumb of opportunity that shows itself. You don't suppose.....my recent chanting and all that karma being sent my way from y'all has anything to do with it, do you? NAHHHH!.....it's gotta just be a coincidence (LOL). Tune in again soon for my next episode of Job Search!

PTDoobie, glad you liked that little ditty I sent your way. That stupid fucking song has been bouncing around in my head off-and-on since the 7th fuckin' grade! Now it can bounce around between your ears and drive you nuts, too! Thought you might want another tune to sing the doobie bros. to sleep with.

On the subject of cannabis, I took your advice and tossed the Jiffy Pod idea. Broke up all the Jiffy peat and mixed it together with BOG's potting soil recommendation and a little vermiculite. Already seeing much better (quicker) results from this latest batch of South African x Skunk seeds planted just a couple days ago! So far, so good. Got good lighting, good heating, good moisture, and a light breeze swaying those lil' doggies back and forth. If my good fortune continues in this arena, I'll be down shopping at my local Home Depot for some hps supplies soon! By the way, were you still plannng on sendin' a little seedy sumthin-sumthin my way? If you're still feeling generous, I'll PM you my "addy" ;).

Thanks again for all the good vibes SG, SoCal,StoneGirl, and "Thomas".

Keep Em Green and Growin'

GordyP

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
AW sweetie! I wasn't busting your ass...

AW sweetie! I wasn't busting your ass...

I was asking a legit question. I've been not wanting to say anything for a long time, but figured it must mean something I had missed and had to admit that I didn't know! All that wondering and figuring and PTB was a typo all this! HA!

Congrats on the tinkerbell act. Remember, it's most basic sustaining feature is the display of the Buddha powers for all to see. It is your use of faith as the medium used to paint your life on the canvas of existence, that keeps it coming. Keep it coming.

Congrats on keep you sinuses clear Gordy! The melody can become magical, can't it? Cruising along, singing the song, of life.

Ain't it grand?

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
true aspect of all phenomena

true aspect of all phenomena

The ultimate truth or reality that permeates all phenomena and is in no way separate from them. A principal expressed in the "Expedient Means" (second) chapter of the Lotus Sutra. The chapter states: "The true aspect of all phenomena can only be shared and understood between Buddhas. This reality consists of the appearance, nature, entity, power, influence, internal cause, relation, latent effect, manifest effect, and their consistency from beginning to end." The "Expedient Means" Chapter defines the true aspect of all phenomena of life, from "appearance" through "their consistency from beginning to end," which describe the unchanging aspect of life common to all phenomena. Since the ten factors exist in any being of the Ten Worlds, there can be no fundamental difference between a Buddha and an ordinary person. This revelation of the ten factors of life thus establishes a theoretical basis for the universal attainment of Buddhaood. Based on this passage of the "Expedient Means" chapter, T'ien-t'ai (539-597) established the philosophical system of three thousand realms in a single moment of life. In his 1273 work titled 'The True Aspect of All Phenomena', Nichiren defined "all phenomena" as all living beings and their environments in the Ten worlds, and the "true aspect" as the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the ultimate reality permeating all living beings and their environments in any of the Ten Worlds. All phenomena, he stated, are manifestations of this universal Law; phenomena and the ultimate truth are inseparable and non-dual.

From the 'Dictionary of Buddhism'

Last edited:
G

Whats the Tune PTB OR GORDYP

Whats the Tune PTB OR GORDYP

Sorry PTD but everyone is just going to have to accept my PTB, it must mean something because I have never noticed and can't change at this space and time continum. And I know you were't bustin my ass! That has never been a part of our relationship!

Gordy P! Just like I said, end result. Don't try and figure it out. You might have 3 by the end of the week. I want nothing more than for you to receive actual proof! That doesn't mean you would go to Florida would it? Just replace the ones there? Just curious!

And I know it is the budda nature Thomas, but Tinkerbell is so cute! I rememer about 12 years ago when grasping the concept of many lifes, me looking at you and asking,"Then maybe I could chant to come back as Tinkerbell in one lifetime." You looked at me like I had lost my mind. ha ha I will NEVER forget that! So that is why I brought it up. I have to show you that it is still me sometimes, or maybe I need to know myself that I'm still me. Life is up-side-down right now and totally do not have a clue where this is going. Love, SG

stonegirl

good morning

good morning

you are so right SG!"sometimes our sincere prayers are answered in ways that we can't see. WE see it initially as something really bad. And even tho it might not be our way of doing it the end result is better than what we thought it to be"
first thing in the morning I talk to PTD and told him what had happen to me yesterday, and he told me to look up what SG had post, it is very similer to mine experience, so here I am and all touched by your experience SG, I can only praise the power of NamMyoHoRengeKyo. and thank you all there are chanting too, so I know I am not alone here, got to go again, take care SG,Socal,GordyP,PTD

always have faith and always chant with confidance, love
stonegirl

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ten mystic principles

ten mystic principles

Ten principles set forth by T'ien-t'ai (538-597) in 'The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra' interpreting the word 'myo' of 'Myoho-renge-kyo', the title of the Lotus Sutra. According to T'ien-t'ai, the ten mystic principles are all implicit in the single word 'myo'. There are two categories of the ten mystic principles: the ten mystic principles of the theoretical teaching (first half) of the Lotus sutra, and the ten mystic principles of the essential teaching (latter half) of the sutra. In the descriptions below, the word 'mystic' is a translation of 'myo'.

The ten mystic principles of the theoretical teaching are based on the concepts of the true aspect of all phenomena and the replacement of the three vehicles with the one vehicle. They are (1) the mystic principle of reality, meaning that the objective reality observed and illuminated by wisdom is mystic; (2) the mystic principal of wisdom, that the wisdom with which one understands this reality is mystic; (3) the mystic principle of practice, that practice based on mystic wisdom is mystic; (4) the mystic principle of stages (which are attained through practice), that the stages leading to enlightenment are mystic; (5) the mystic principle of the three elements, that objective reality or truth, subjective wisdom, and the behavior arising from the fusion of these two, are mystic; (6) the mystic principle of responsive communion, meaning that the Buddha appearing in order to respond to the peoples desire to seek him is mystic; (7) the mystic principle of transcendental power, that the supernatural powers the Buddha uses to reveal the truth are mystic; (8) the mystic principle of preaching, that the Buddha's preaching what is verbally inexpressible is mystic; (9) the mystic principle of relationship, that all people are related to the Buddha is mystic; and (10) the mystic principle of merit and benefit, that people who received the seeds of Buddhahood major world system dust particle 'kalpas' ago finally attain the truth through the process of maturing is mystic.

The ten mystic principle of the essential teaching are based on the revelation Buddha's original enlightenment countless 'kalpas' in the past as expounded in the "Life Span" (sixteenth) chapter. The ten mystic principles of the theoretical teaching are preparatory to the ten mystic principles of the essential teaching. Because the Buddha who revealed his enlightenment in the remote past is called the true Buddha, each of the mystic principles of the essential teaching are modified by the word "true." They are the mystic principles of (1) true cause, meaning that the practices of the true Buddha are mystic, (2) true effect, that the merits and virtues attained by the true Buddha are mystic; (3) true land, that the land where the true Buddha dwells is mystic; (4) true responsive communion, that the true Buddha appearing in response to the people's desire to seek him is mystic; (5) true transcendental power, that the supernatural powers the true Buddha displays when he preaches are mystic; (6) true preaching, that the true Buddha's preaching in the remote past is mystic; (7) true relationship, that the people who formed connections to the true Buddha in the remote past are mystic; (8) true nirvana, that the true Buddha's nirvana is not an expedient means but external and inherent, and therefore is mystic; (9) true life span, meaning that, though the true Buddha's life span is eternal, his repeatedly being reborn as an ordinary mortal with a life span he desires is mystic; and (10) true benefit, that the benefit the true Buddha bestows upon the people in the Land of Eternally Tranquil Light is mystic.

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Land of Eternally Tranquil Light

Land of Eternally Tranquil Light

Also, Land of Tranquil Light or Land of Eternal Light. The Buddha land, which is free from impermanence and impurity. The Land Of Eternally Tranquil Light is one of the four kinds of lands described in the doctrine of the T'ien-t'ai school, the other three being the Land of Sages and Common Mortals, the Land of Transition, and the Land of Actual Reward. In many sutras, this 'saha' world is described as an impure land filled with delusions and sufferings, and the Buddha land as a pure land free from these and far removed from this 'saha' world. In contrast, the Lotus Sutra reveals the 'saha' world to be the Buddha land, or the Land of Eternally Tranquil Light, and explains that the nature of a land is determined by the minds of its inhabitants.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Life Span of the Thus Come One" chapter

"Life Span of the Thus Come One" chapter

Abbreviated as the "Life Span" chapter. The sixteenth chapter of the Lotus sutra, in which Shakyamuni Buddha reveals that he originally attained enlightenment in the far distant past rather than in his present life in India as his listeners generally thought. The chapter title "The Life Span of the Thus Come One" means the duration of Shyakyamuni's life as a Buddha, that is, how much time has passed since he originally attained Buddhahood. T'ien-t'ai (538-597) of China ranks it as the key chapter of the essential teaching, or the latter fourteen chapters of the sutra. The chapter opens with three exhortations and four entreaties, in which the Buddha three times admonishes the multitude to believe and understand his truthful words, and the assembly four times begs him to preach. Shakyamuni then says, "You must listen carefully and hear of the Thus Come One's secret and his transcendental powers." He proceeds to explain that, while all heavenly and human beings and 'asuras' believe that he first attained enlightenment in his present lifetime under the 'bodhi' tree, it has actually been an incalculable length of time since he attained enlightenment. He then offers a dramatic description of the magnitude of this immeasurably long period. He describes taking a vast number of worlds, grinding them to dust, and then traversing the universe, dropping a particle each time one passes an equally vast number of worlds. Having exhausted all the dust particles, one takes all the worlds traversed, whether they have received a dust particle or not, and grinds them to dust. Then Shakyamuni says: "Let one particle represent one 'kalpa'. The time that has passed since I attained Buddhahood surpasses this by a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, a million 'nayuta asamkhya kalpas'." Commentaries on this chapter refer to this cosmically immense period as "numberless major world system dust particle 'kalpas'." In the essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra, Shayamuni thus refutes the view that he attained enlightenment for the first time in this life in India and reveals his original attainment of enlightenment in the remote past. T'ien-t'ai refers to this in 'The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra' and 'The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra' as "opening the near and revealing the distant," "casting off the transient and revealing the true," and "opening the transient and revealing the true." Here, "the transient" means Shakyamuni's transient status, and "the true" means his true identity. From his original attainment of Buddhahood, Shakyamuni declares, he has constantly been here in this 'saha' world preaching the Law, appearing as many different Buddhas and using various means to save living beings. Though he says that he enters nirvana, he merely uses his death as a means to arouse in people the desire to seek a Buddha. He then illustrates this idea with the parable of the skilled physician and his sick children. In the parable, the children of a skilled physician have accidentally swallowed poison. Having lost their senses, they refuse the medicine their father offers them as an antidote. The father then goes off to a remote place and sends a message informing the children he has died. Shocked to their senses, the children take the medicine their father has left for them and are cured. The Buddha is compared to the father in this parable, living beings to the children who have drunk poison, and the Buddha's entry into Nirvana to the father's report of his own death--an expedient means to arouse in people the aspiration for enlightenment. The chapter concludes with a verse section, which restates the important teaching of the preceding prose section.

In 'Profound Meaning', T'ien-t'ai interprets the "Life Span" chapter as revealing the three mystic principles of the true cause (the cause for Shakyamuni's original attainment of enlightenment, the true effect (his original enlightenment), and the true land (the place where the Buddha lives and teaches). He interprets the passage "Originally I practiced the bodhisattva way..." as indicating the stage of non-regression, or the eleventh of the fifty-two stages of bodhisattva practice, which he explained as the true causes that enabled Shakyamuni to attain Buddhahood. In answer to the question of what Shakyamuni practiced in order to reach the stage of non-regression, Nichiren (1222-1282) identified it as the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

G

Reply to StoneGirl

Reply to StoneGirl

Hey! Thanks for your writing. I believe that if all of us sat down with each other and were honest we would find that we are all in some way or another going thru similar situations. That is why our lives have probably come together here, for support, encouragement and to help each other through it all.
It brings value to my experiences when it helps someone else get through their own. And it also encourages me that I too am not going through it alone.
We will get through this StoneGirl! Love, SG

Ptd! I would love to sit and watch you type all that in.....how do you not get booted?

stonegirl

PTD

PTD

Wisdom?
maybe "passion+ compassion" is more like it?
but can't speak for you, and thank you for shareing it!
Hi everyone:) , SG,Socal,GordyP,PTD, good to start my day here, and got to go, bye.....

stonegirl

Last edited:

GordyP

The Importance of Flexible Thinking

The Importance of Flexible Thinking

There is a reciprocal relationship between a supple mind and the ability to shift perspective. A supple, flexible mind helps us address our problems from a variety of perspectives, and, conversely, deliberately trying to objectively examine our problems from a variety of perspectives can be seen as flexibility training for the mind. In today's world, the attempt to develop a flexible mode of thinking isn't simply a self-indulgent exercise for idle intellectuals - it is a matter of survival.

Life today is characterized by sudden, unexpected, and sometimes violent change. A supple mind can help us reconcile the external changes going on all around us. It can also help us integrate all of our internal conflicts, inconsistencies, and ambivalence. Without cultivating a pliant mind, our outlook becomes brittle and our relationship to the rest of the world becomes characterized by fear. But by adopting a flexible, malleable approach to life, we ce can maintain our composure even in the most restless and turbulent conditions. It is through our efforts to achieve a flexible mind that we can nurture the resiliency of the human spirit.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama

The advice of this twenty-first century Buddhist appears to me to be ringing true for all the active contributors to this thread at the present time. For me, after an extended period of apparent idleness and inactivity, sudden changes are now flying at me from all directions! Without an effort to remain flexible in my thinking when dealing with such changes, I would not have been able to handle it, to survive. It has involved the opening of doors that were long shut within me, and allowing the warmth existing behind those doors to open my eyes and reconfirm I am no different than anyone else, as they are no different than me. To realize again I am indeed still a part of our human community has given me an inner-happiness I haven't enjoyed in years.

As I read the postings from you here, relating the changing situations now occuring in your lives as well, I can't help feeling the message above is particularly pertinent to all of us right now. Am I wrong or haven't Southern Girl, SoCal, StoneGirl, and PTDoobie experienced some recent extraordinary turbulence in their lives, as I have? Certainly not turbulence which has created changes of an identical nature, but still some pretty mind-blowing, life-altering changes just the same? I know in my case, there's no way I would have interpreted my changes as something which created such a centered happiness within me if I had kept my feelings and beliefs hardened and inflexible. And my feelings would have remained hardened, without a doubt, if I had not "stumbled" into your lives at the moment I did. Kind of eerie and weird, don't-cha think? Just why and how this all happened is beyond my comprehension, but just the same, many thanks from me for being at this place at this time!

Keep writing and sharing,

GordyP

G

Loving you and your post Gordy P

Loving you and your post Gordy P

That was great Gordy P! You have come along way in 2 weeks from dusting it off and taking it around the corner. You have been a perfect example to me of when senior leaders would say you can chant and chant and chant and with a simple change of attitude and understanding, the piece fits and it all falls into place. There are no coincidences just synchronicities. (Big words for early in the am) And at this point and time, this too is where I get my encouragement. I look forward to reading it everyday. And we hooked Stonegirl too. What a benefit!
Wouldn't it be great if at sometime we all could meet? Put all the pieces together. That would be a great meeting! Hope you all have a great day and know that you are in my prayers daily. SG

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow!

Wow!

This is kinda tripping me out. You guys are getting along as well with each other as you do with me. We have another kind friend that has just joined the celebration. He has PM'ed me saying he is going to try chanting. If he does, he will see what we are talking about, and hopefully share his experiences.

When that occurs, hopefully the others beyond us five or six will begin really communicating. People already seek from this person, so he is already well respected. His influence will be felt here, and it is the karma of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo that has influenced this to be the reality that is unfolding.

This should be really entertaining!

I can't wait to see what happens!

Thomas

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
inner happiness

inner happiness

Gordy!

That is an awesome revelation about yourself and your life. Isn't it great how all the answers are within and now you have the secret to find those answers? Only when you find yourself in the deepest shit - that is where you can really see the power. I know others following this thread are now trying to chant because of your experience. You are creating more and more fortune for yourself. Forge on!

Nice to see you here stonegirl! at first I had one interpretation about your login, but as I was chanting about everyone today I then figured out where it really came from. How dense am I?

PTB....errrrr PTD and SG and Vegas.....Hello! Been a stranger, kinda busy. GTG, cya

Process of Growth and Self-Realization
Every single person has tremendous potential which is largely untapped. Through one's human revolution(chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo), this potential can be revealed and we can establish an independent, unconquerable self; enabling one to deal creatively with any situation that life has to offer. This process enables one to keep growing and developing indefinitely.

(taken from Buddhist concepts)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
kalpa

kalpa

In ancient Indian cosmology, an extremely long period of time. There are various views on the length of a 'kalpa.' According to 'The Treatise on the Great Perfection of Wisdom,' a 'kalpa' is longer than the time required to wear away a cue of rock forty 'ri' (one 'ri' being about 450 meters) on each side, by brushing it with a piece of cloth once every hundred years. 'Great Perfection of Wisdom' also defines a 'kalpa' as being longer than time needed to remove all the mustard seeds filling a city of forty 'ri' square, if one takes away one seed every hundred years. Nearly identical explanations appear in the Miscellaneous Agama Sutra, where the length of each side of the rock is given as one 'yojana (about 7 kilometers), and the size of the city as one 'yojana' square.

The word 'kalpa' is also used in describing the formation and disintegration of the world. According to Buddhist cosmology, a world perpetually repeats a four-stage cycle of formation, continuance, decline, and disintegration. The periods corresponding to these four stages are called the four 'kalpas.' Each of these four 'kalpas'--the 'kalpa' of formation, the 'kalpa' of continuance, the 'kalpa' of decline, and the 'kalpa' of disintegration--lasts for twenty small 'kalpas'. A small 'kalpa' is defined in terms of cyclical changes said to occur repeatedly in the human life span during the 'kalpa' of continuance. Over the course of a small 'kalpa' the human life span increases from 10 to 80,000 years and then decreases from 80,000 to 10 years. The increase of life span occurs at a rate of one year every hundred years, and the decrease of life span also occurs in the same way. During the 'kalpa' of continuance, a world and its inhabitants continue to exist for twenty small 'kalpas', that is, while the human life span repeats its increase and decrease in this way. The time required for the life span to increase from 10 to 80,000 years is 79,990 years multiplied by 100, which equals 7,999,000 years. Exactly the same number of years is necessary for the decrease in life span from 80,000 to 10 years; that is, 7,999,000 is multiplied by two, equaling 15,998,000 years. Thus, this number represents the length of a small 'kalpa.' Because a small 'kalpa' is often described simply as a 'kalpa', 15,998,000 years, or about 16,000,000 years, is often given as the definition of the length of a 'kalpa'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts