What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Changed which CalNit I use. Now I have a new deficiency

ButterflyEffect

I've been using Jacks 321 for a few years now in Perlite hempys. I always noticed that my pH runoff was very high no matter the input. I put in 5.3, it comes out 6.5. I put in 5.7, it comes out 7.2 and so on.

With that in mind, I changed to YaraLiva 15.5 CalNit. It also has 19% Ca instead of the 18% in the Jacks. I use the same amount of the new Calnit that I used with the old. I started yesterday and today my youngest seedlings and clones are seeing this on their oldest leaves. There is also a good bit of paleness on the new growth. My older plants that are ready to go into flower are not affected...

Rpz1HkK.jpg

Ca++

Overnight? I have seen such damage appear over time, on developing growth. I don't remember the cause. It was one of the main metals. I had pondered on it being K, and that under LED the edges had not suffered first. Mg would be a fair call, but there is no ring around the damage. I'm not sure I ever decided.

ButterflyEffect

Overnight? I have seen such damage appear over time, on developing growth. I don't remember the cause. It was one of the main metals. I had pondered on it being K, and that under LED the edges had not suffered first. Mg would be a fair call, but there is no ring around the damage. I'm not sure I ever decided.
Yup. Overnight. I'm thinking that I might have made the new Calnit a bit too strong. I'm just trying to figure out what the deficiency is at this point

ButterflyEffect

Here is that paleness I was talking about. It's only on the clones. The seedlings to the left have normal new growth, for now at least.

ar8E8gS.jpg

QvKaOov.jpg

Ca++

I have been on other projects for 6 months, and seem to of forgot a shocking amount. An over feed might explain quite a bit of this though. There are certainly a couple of things going on. I can't see a simple answer. Though that might be because I'm off my game.

Bit of claw downwards, that seems a while ago. Some tip burn, rolling upwards. Couple of signs that look like different metals. I would check some run-off

ButterflyEffect

I have been on other projects for 6 months, and seem to of forgot a shocking amount. An over feed might explain quite a bit of this though. There are certainly a couple of things going on. I can't see a simple answer. Though that might be because I'm off my game.

Bit of claw downwards, that seems a while ago. Some tip burn, rolling upwards. Couple of signs that look like different metals. I would check some run-off
It's like you're reading my mind! I had planned a runoff test for today. I'll report back.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Toxicity, not deficiency.

Ca is best applied without N.
CalNit is very reactive and chelated. Toxicity is easy, so Id only use it in teenagers or especially with outdoor plants.

I have similar paleness now. Its my first time using LED. So Im having to change a few things.
I used to be able to push a lot of gypsum. But now I have paleness.
Turns out, the Ca pushed out available Mg, perhaps more.

ButterflyEffect

Toxicity, not deficiency.

Ca is best applied without N.
CalNit is very reactive and chelated. Toxicity is easy, so Id only use it in teenagers or especially with outdoor plants.

I have similar paleness now. Its my first time using LED. So Im having to change a few things.
I used to be able to push a lot of gypsum. But now I have paleness.
Turns out, the Ca pushed out available Mg, perhaps more.
I really think that I made the new Calnit too strong and it threw off the ratio to the Jacks Part A. That would definitely lock out all of my Micros.

I just went through that with the final stage of my Veg room and I just recently got it under control. I also keep the temps and humidity pretty high, like 90F and 80% so the defs are kept in check.

ButterflyEffect

I did indeed make the mix too hot. I mixed a new batch yesterday and things started improving.

I also compared the Yara Calnit to the Jacks in Hydrobuddy and the numbers are very similar, so I believe I'm good to go.