What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ceramic knives

armedoldhippy

Veteran
No, you can't. The manufacturers have agreed (or been required for sales in the US, I can't remember) to place a metal shaft in the ceramic specifically so they will be detectable.

i bought a set of knives at an antique shop that were solid glass, ostensibly for cutting cake, pies etc. no edge to them really...yet. i've been knapping obsidian for years; putting a razor edge on these glass knives should be simple. obsidian (volcanic glass) can be as much as 500 times sharper than steel. they still use obsidian blades on scalpels for certain surgeries.

St. Phatty

Remember that movie where the guy sneaks the bullet past the metal detector, to shoot the President ?

Ceramic is great in compression, not so good in tension.

Or has the technology evolved to the point where someone could build a ceramic handgun ?

A ceramic knife-blade has to endure a lot of tension when it bends.

mexweed

Veteran
the true test of a knife's durability and sharpness is making drain holes in hempy buckets and slicing san pedro

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Or has the technology evolved to the point where someone could build a ceramic handgun ?

the barrel , chamber, and what confines the cartridge in the chamber (think bolt in a bolt-action) are all still metal, given todays tech. if there is a non-metallic material that can repeatedly withstand those pressures, i've not read nor heard rumors of it. you would probably be correct in guessing that someone somewhere is trying, though.

shithawk420

Veteran
Hmm. There's no way Japanese steel or any quality steel is gonna be inferior to ceramic.any chef will tell you that

shithawk420

Veteran
i bought a set of knives at an antique shop that were solid glass, ostensibly for cutting cake, pies etc. no edge to them really...yet. i've been knapping obsidian for years; putting a razor edge on these glass knives should be simple. obsidian (volcanic glass) can be as much as 500 times sharper than steel. they still use obsidian blades on scalpels for certain surgeries.

Wait what? You serious? Japanese steel is legendary.obsidion? I doubt they use that for surgery for medical reasons

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Anyone got a miracle blade slicer? Shopping channel cheapness, but they only come in sets. Since they went to miracle blade 2, it's no good. Perhaps one of you picked a set up from a bargain store just to see them chop through a can, like on the advert. I'm looking to buy one, for whatever. When you find a good knife, you really don't care do you :)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Heh, I guess I learned something new.thanks

but you are capable of learning, unlike a few on here. i learn something every day. if not, i go to bed disappointed because i failed as a human being. sometimes what i learned is disturbing. reality bites, as usual. 👍

shithawk420

Veteran
but you are capable of learning, unlike a few on here. i learn something every day. if not, i go to bed disappointed because i failed as a human being. sometimes what i learned is disturbing. reality bites, as usual. 👍

Ya know, sometimes it's best not to know the truth.ignorance is bliss as they say.the things I know would give the average person nightmares, insanity or both.yeah reality sucks.thats why people live in their own world

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Ya know, sometimes it's best not to know the truth.ignorance is bliss as they say.the things I know would give the average person nightmares, insanity or both.yeah reality sucks.thats why people live in their own world

i've heard that saying my entire life, and utter it myself sometimes. but...these days, the most miserable folks i know are the most ignorant.

Latest posts

Latest posts