What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ceramic knives

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I've got butter fingers and a concrete floor, that could get expensive for me. I use standard commercial grade cutlery I buy wholesale and of course a quality electric sharpener.

what brand did you get, white or black blade?

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
I've looked at Boker's in the past, still haven't bought one yet. One of these days

supermanlives

Veteran
mine is white blade yoshiblade. i have professional cutlery but wanted to try something new. so far its great. was cheap enough anyhow

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I´ve been curious about those for quite a while but my butter fingers and ceramic kitchen floor scares me as well ;)

paulo73

Veteran
I got my eyes on these ones
picture.php

supermanlives

Veteran
so far so good. only time will tell if they stay sharp better than steel. the knife cuts through anything like butter.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ceramic knives are the shit man !!! they hold an edge better than any steel blades i've ever owned . super, your gonna love that knife :)

R

ran outta love

I'm going to look like a complete fool for asking this but...

Why are people talking about floors? The blade will shatter if it falls on a hard surface or something?

supermanlives

Veteran
bingo we have a winner ^^^^^^. ya they are supposedily brittle and break easilly. with my record of breaking glass objects. i am sure i will be sweeping up the ceramic shards within a month LOL

N

Nondual

ya they are supposedily brittle and break easilly.
A friend had one and his girlfriend used it on a glass cutting board and the edge turned into shards. Don't know why anyone would own a glass cutting board though even with regular knives.

supermanlives

Veteran
my knife came with instructions clearly stating wooden or plastic cutting boards only. and yes it slices paper thin slices from my maters so far anyhow

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
Ceramic's are for pissy little house wifes that watch the food network.....
U want Quality...... DO THIS.....

picture.php

Santoku
UP!! Mr.Itou Santoku 180mm "Abalone Handle"

Abalone Handle Santoku 180mm TotalLength:305mm Blade Thickness:2.4mm
Total Weight: 204g
$420.00

the REAL DEAL.....

http://japanesechefsknife.com/Page3.html

paulo73

Veteran
Nice knife...but i prefer mine
picture.php

On the heavy side, manly knife :), but just does the work for you.
Perfect balance and a lovely shape in my opinion.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Ceramic's are for pissy little house wifes that watch the food network.....
U want Quality...... DO THIS.....

picture.php

Santoku
UP!! Mr.Itou Santoku 180mm "Abalone Handle"

Abalone Handle Santoku 180mm TotalLength:305mm Blade Thickness:2.4mm
Total Weight: 204g
$420.00

the REAL DEAL.....

http://japanesechefsknife.com/Page3.html

i had some $2000 switchblade that had a blade like that, think it was called damascus, my old boss gave it to me, the cops took it from me...

ithruxix

The KD Hattori series is better than Mr. Itou, roughly same price. Not too sure on the japanesechefsknife.com but Hattori knives are world renowned.

I prefer my trusty Wusthofs to any 'new' knife.