What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't Upload Pictures

therevverend

Veteran
When I try to load pictures into my album most of the time it fails. Every once in a while it will succeed but that's only around 5% of the pictures on my hard drive.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
@StevenHXF posted a banner at the top of the site. They are importing the older image galleries - which takes time (days/week) - and so I think you just have to give it a bit more time before we have complete functionality.

therevverend

Veteran
@StevenHXF posted a banner at the top of the site. They are importing the older image galleries - which takes time (days/week) - and so I think you just have to give it a bit more time before we have complete functionality.
I saw that but this stuff from the old galleries, it's new pics I uploaded to my hard drive yesterday. When I try to put them into my albums or posts it says it is unable to do it. Sometimes it'll flash the image of the picture then it will disappear and say failure. But then it'll load another picture successfully.

StevenHXF

Administrator
Hello, could you put some pictures you know fail into a .zip and email them to email@icmag.com along with the name of one of the albums you tried uploading them to.

Everything is functioning correctly and this is the first time we’ve heard this so I’d like to work out if it’s isolated to you.

therevverend

Veteran
Okay I sent it to you, let me know if you don't get it. Either here or send me an email. The message I get is 'file was not picture as expected'.

StevenHXF

Administrator
Hi,

I've looked at this and it is something to do with the images you're uploading. There's nothing wrong with Xen because the image processor isn't throwing any errors it shouldn't. We're running some tests on the image you supplied so hopefully I'll be able to provide you a solution soon.

To help could you let me know what you're doing with that image prior to upload? I know it's a pain in the backside but are you taking the images from a camera, storing them somewhere like OneDrive, then uploading from there? Are you opening the images in an image editor or running them through a tool to strip data from them?

It would be helpful to reproduce the steps you're going through that's all.

StevenHXF

Administrator
Hi,

We've looked at this file in more detail and the tools we've run say it's a .webp file that has been renamed .jpg.

Xenforo doesn't support webp, any ideas why that might have happened?

therevverend

Veteran
No idea at all. I saved them from my phone onto my computer, didn't do anything else. Then I tried to copy them into my album. I've been loading them from 'pictures' and One Drive. What's weird is like I was saying in the email, a few of them loaded just fine, at random. On One Drive I could see the pics in a little thumbnail, that's the only difference.

therevverend

Veteran
Another thing that's odd. It's only the pictures I saved onto my computer yesterday I'm having this problem with. The pictures I saved a few months ago and earlier can be uploaded like normal.

therevverend

Veteran
Hey Steven. loaded some more pics from my One Drive. I saved them onto my hard drive and loaded them the way I always do. What I noticed is the ones with a thumbnail image I was able to save. The ones that had the simple file picture with no image would not let me save. You might be able to diagnose the problem if you save pics to your One Drive and then try saving the ones that don't have the thumbnail image.

When I load files from 'pictures' File in my computer none of the pic files have pictures. Just the image of the file. The ones I saved last year work while almost none of the new ones work, the same way as the One Drive. Might mess around with it some more today if I have time.

I was hoping I'd simply be able to re-save my pics, delete the old ones and it would be okay but that doesn't seem to be the case.

StevenHXF

Administrator
The issue is that OneDrive is saving some of your images as webp, I don't know exactly what you're doing but a good test would be to take some images, save them directly to your hard disk (outside of OneDrive) and then try to upload.

Other people are having similar issues here:

There are a number of plugins that will give us webp support but it should be coming with XenForo core in the next non minor update which will resolve the issue.

There's not much I can do other than suggest you keep files you want to upload off OneDrive until you've uploaded them here. These images wouldn't have worked on the vb5 or vb3 version of the forum, it's not just Xen.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I was hoping I'd simply be able to re-save my pics, delete the old ones and it would be okay but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You could do this but you will need a program that allows you to open any format and then re-save it as a .jpg. A small free program called IrfanView is the easiest image manipulator that I have found. It opens anything and then you can save it as anything. You can also resize, edit , add text etc etc. I have used it for years.

StevenHXF

Administrator
You could do this but you will need a program that allows you to open any format and then re-save it as a .jpg. A small free program called IrfanView is the easiest image manipulator that I have found. It opens anything and then you can save it as anything. You can also resize, edit , add text etc etc. I have used it for years.
Another vote for IrfanView. During my tests I was able to open your image and save it in that and upload it without issue.

You can do batch stuff with Irfan as well so you could open and save an entire folder (if I remember tightly).

therevverend

Veteran
The issue is that OneDrive is saving some of your images as webp, I don't know exactly what you're doing but a good test would be to take some images, save them directly to your hard disk (outside of OneDrive) and then try to upload.

I've done this but it's the same issue. A small number of the pictures will load but the rest will not. It seems to be completely random. Well no, it's not random. Some of the ones that will show a tiny picture will load while the ones that don't, won't. But if I click on the ones I can't load I can look at the picture. Like I said, this has never happened in the past. I'm not doing anything different when I save the pictures. I don't know what webp is or why they would save them differently. It's basically one out of every 10 that works.

I save my pictures en masse. It'll give me the option of saving them by month. So I click on 'May', every picture has a check by it, I hit save and it drops them in my picture collection. I have so many there IC doesn't show the little pictures, it shows the little pictures of a file instead. It's a little annoying because every time I save them I have to scroll past all the old ones instead of letting me start at the newest ones. The pictures say 'jpg' not 'webp' beside them.

Yeah, see it saved the image I randomly picked below but the one I didn't randomly pick it said 'file is not an image as not expected' and it briefly flashed the pic before it vanished. Is IC converting them to webp? That's the only thing that makes sense. I don't understand why my computer would do it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_161724_237.jpg
    IMG_20220430_161724_237.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:

pjlive

I think this might be a space saving process when OneDrive converts a large batch of images or files into the .zip format for download. When the package is unzipped, some of the image files have been converted to .webp instead of .png, .jpeg, .gif, etc.

I'm not entirely sure this is the problem here, but I'll include the above in case it helps any. If this is an issue, it's possible to get a batch re-namer or batch conversion app to reformat the unzipped file so all the images in that folder are either renamed or converted to an up-loadable format to the icmag servers.

Again, not sure -- just tossing it in just in case someone can use the info.

StevenHXF

Administrator
I've done this but it's the same issue. A small number of the pictures will load but the rest will not. It seems to be completely random. Well no, it's not random. Some of the ones that will show a tiny picture will load while the ones that don't, won't. But if I click on the ones I can't load I can look at the picture. Like I said, this has never happened in the past. I'm not doing anything different when I save the pictures. I don't know what webp is or why they would save them differently. It's basically one out of every 10 that works.

I save my pictures en masse. It'll give me the option of saving them by month. So I click on 'May', every picture has a check by it, I hit save and it drops them in my picture collection. I have so many there IC doesn't show the little pictures, it shows the little pictures of a file instead. It's a little annoying because every time I save them I have to scroll past all the old ones instead of letting me start at the newest ones. The pictures say 'jpg' not 'webp' beside them.

Yeah, see it saved the image I randomly picked below but the one I didn't randomly pick it said 'file is not an image as not expected' and it briefly flashed the pic before it vanished. Is IC converting them to webp? That's the only thing that makes sense. I don't understand why my computer would do it.
The image you sent to me in an email from your computer was a webp image and not a jpg despite the extension.

You need to handle these images outside of OneDrive as it’s doing something, my guess is that OneDrive doesn’t actually save the files locally, instead they’re on OneDrive itself and you’re uploading something other than your original image.

If you take whatever images you want to upload and run them through Irfan View as @tobedetermined described they will be saved correctly. This exact method worked with the broken image you sent to me.

I know it’s annoying but this isn’t being caused by XenForo.

If you want to take this discussion to pm I’m more than happy to work out with you the best way to convert your images. 👍

therevverend

Veteran
IMG_20220512_201137_757.jpg When it fails to load it says the stuff on the left, only with a line crossed through it. And if I look at the type of file it says, JPG. I just did some poking around and it seems like my entire desktop is One Drive. So I can't save anything onto my hard drive without it being in One Drive I think. I can make the image appear briefly here on IC but then it vanishes and says unable blah blah. All my older pics have little thumbnail pictures but the newer ones don't and many of those are the ones that won't load. There should be a way to make them open into little thumbnails out of the wrong type of file?

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
All right I've come up with a solution. It's roundabout and a pain in the ass but it works. If I say I want to do 3d paint and then save it from that point I can get it to upload. Doesn't make any sense to me but it works.

StevenHXF

Administrator
All right I've come up with a solution. It's roundabout and a pain in the ass but it works. If I say I want to do 3d paint and then save it from that point I can get it to upload. Doesn't make any sense to me but it works.
It works because 3d paint saves it as a jpg and not webp.

All you need to do is install irfan view put all your images in a folder and batch the whole lot.

Another thing to try is put the photos you want to upload in folder somewhere on your PC (OneDrive is) right click on it and select make available offline.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts