What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can’t stop the purple stems! What am I doing wrong

George

In relation to Boron specifically. Why are people even still discussing this? Oh yeah... Forum sponsorships got pot growers so fucking confused, even the few sane members start to doubt reality after hearing the same backwards shit for years on end.

There's a myth that nitrogen toxicity is common and boron deficiency is rare in Cannabis. Total bullshit! Nooone has ever seen nitrogen toxicity in Cannabis. Calcium single handedly causes every problem in Cannabis, from genetic drift to mold. Easy to fix. Add boron. Check PK. Stop letting people tell you it's a mutation or you need new lights or ph meters or to dim your lights. Don't end up another loser being laughed at, thinking youre hot shit posting boron deficient photos all over the global web like a bafoon. Just add fucking boron. It's not cool to be a poser anymore. Fix your shit.

I agree on the N tox 110% too. What I always thought was N tox was an overabundance of Mg in my case (or maybe lack of P for the amount of Mg I put in as I had almost blue black leaves??). After i added a bunch of epsom to some tester plants thst were showing variagation, within about 3 days I had to tell myself "why does that look like serious N tox when I didn't add any N???" Mg and S stimulate N which was on my mind, but this was over the top coloring. They looked so dark they looked unhealthy.

A lot of us have been misdiagnosing our plants for years. I can admit it. Lots of bad info online, I've definitely regurgitated some of it before. What is your opinion on upper limits for Ca for a typical nutrient mix? Or is there no limit with enough B and it's cohorts? Right now I'm only playing with prepackaged micros and not individual salts. Finding a true Ca balance in coco is interesting. I wanted to play with B specifically but like you said we're hanging onto old data thinking its insanely toxic. The information I've seen online suggests over a 10 fold increase compared to what we're doing now.

edit: that B symptom photo with the corky stem is accurate for sure. That's a good visual que. And I feel like it's almost the first one fhat will show IME. Instead of adding B I dropped Ca, wondering if I should go back and try just B and leave Ca high. My only concern was comparing my B numbers to known good nutrient lines I've used, mine already seem high based on internet lore

Edit 6/3: well I seem to slowly be disagreeing with my old posts. I am running quite high calcium now with not much change to my boron levels (<.6ppm). Seems most of my improvement came from lower iron, higher mn, muuuch low K and much higher P. Live and learn.

Last edited:

PhilMe

hey buttholocaust I agree with you for the most part.
However, it always requires a 100% functioning plant. which is also the case with the majority of plants.

1. But like every living being that is dependent on the function of a metabolism, there are also plants that have a weak metabolism and which have a direct metabolic disorder. Metabolic diseases occur in every type of life, including cannabis, of course.
I know, for example, a metabolic disease in cannabis which can be treated wonderfully through regular administration of salicylic acid as a foliar treatment. So similar to diabetes in humans where the metabolism does not produce enough insulin. the only question is what does it make sense? Plants with metabolic diseases have never really surprised me where the extra effort is justified by a special aroma or higher yield. so it is not rational, it would be better to sort them out right away. The prerequisite is calculable quality and quantity. But as a hobby it is a very exciting topic to deal with the processes within the plant

2. genetics and shortened evolution. depending on experience, the plants with their direct environment collects over several generations, the plant will seek ways to adapt, to make a profit from it, to protect itself better and to learn to defend itself.

the lignification of the branches would ensure that only the fresh shoots are available to the animals, but not the entire plant being devoured.

in some varieties that I have grown to raise mother plants, this phenomenon has occurred repeatedly.

after the first large cuttings have been removed, the mother plant begins to lignify its branches. So not when 2-3 shoots are cut but when a high percentage of their total mass is lost. the cut cuttings, which are still green, begin to lignify while the roots are being formed. thus 2 processes come together that draw a lot of phosphorus. root formation and lignification.

As a result of the lignification, the stems lost their photosynthesis and thus their green color, because no more chlorophyll is produced there. the color of the branches is then replaced by other dyes of the metabolic process. that can be anything from brown to red, purple to black. also depends heavily on environmental factors and the ph value in particular.
I believe you are right. I have the same issue here. I was looking around for an answer on my purlpe stems and found your post. "Lignification on mother plant as a protection strategy of the plant". That's perfect. Every time I cut cuttings the stems get a little purple. On a mother plants this is quite dramatic process after the first big cut. Now the question: how to minimize this problem and keep a healthy motherplant ? Have you found a good counterstrategy to fool the plants strategy ?

Latest posts

Latest posts