What's new

Cannabis: The Central Practice of Terence McKenna’s Life

THCengineer

32ab99cd55a243b25d50d79207fcd4e6.jpg

Hello all! I have been interested in all facets of the marvelous cannabis plant since I inhaled my very first toke exactly 50 years ago, on a US Naval base in San Diego CA in 1967. It was some unbelievably psychedelic, perfume-smelling, spicy tasting, one-hit Oaxacan wonder bud. It's resin was so dense that my lungs were instantly coated and I was catapulted up and backwards, freefalling out into the void of space, as if I was spinning at tremendous speed head-over-heels in a fighter jet ejection seat! My mundane "reality" having been turned "inside out," I was a different, happier guy afterwards. Now having subsequently become a complete devotee of this most magickal herb, and having read everything concerning cannabis that I have been able to locate since then, I have a matured, evolved appreciation of what "getting high" means to me. After half a century of enjoyment and admiration, (nowadays bordering on fanatic cannabis sativa worship), my interface with this plant has persuaded me that cannabis is a quite mysterious and profound spiritual being whom may also be regarded as a an "elemental" or "fairy," of which both classifications are listed under the generic heading, "deva." For a quick refresher on this subject, see: https://www.dnaalchemy.com/Devas_Elementals_and_Fairies.html

"The word deva is from the Sanskrit language, meaning "a being of brilliant light" and is used to indicate a non-physical being. A Deva refers to any of the spiritual forces or beings behind nature. Devas are said to have an instinctive knowledge of cosmic patterns, relationships, and harmonies.They exist in the form of energy in the astral realm and they are like fluid open vortexes of cosmic consciousness. People can often perceive them intuitively as the flowing essence of vortexes of energies. However, we may often perceive a physical shape as our consciousness filters the energy into something we can relate to. Devas have memory and learn from past experiences and are conscious of the archetypes of the field in which they work. They react to and improve their work according to the physical influences on the life forms with which they work. As nature spirits, Devas are here to work with us and want to develop a relationship of mutual benefit.
Devas have focused consciousness and action that can assist us to accomplish goals and projects in our lives."

If there is any truth to the above description, then is it too great a leap of speculation to entertain the alternate, "ex-stasis" perspective in which person's cannabis "high" is, in truth, their mind :ying: having entered into the "portal" of the cannabis/deva's consciousness itself, as suggested in a different Terrence McKenna essay addressing the phenomenon of a user's merging with the plant's morphogenetic field? What do you think?

Cannabis: The Central Practice of Terence McKenna’s Life - https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/cannabis-the-central-practice-of-terence-mckennas-life - "Terence McKenna smoked cannabis for the first time during Easter vacation in 1965 when he was 18 years old. He had inherited "the programming," as he called it, from his "middle class straight parents" that "the road to hell was paved" with cannabis. But he had also read Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, and others who had been more specific, informative, and curious about the plant. It took McKenna "a couple, or three" encounters with cannabis before he figured out what it was doing to him." (continued) :kitty:

Last edited:

THCengineer

Hi CosmicGiggle! I was puzzled for years why it was that the heavily seeded Oaxacan herb I naïvely inhaled into my virgin lungs way back in 1967 was so very potent and psychedelic? Well, after trying to broaden my cannabis knowledge base by reading cannabis-related books, I felt that I finally may have got a handle on that enigmatic question rattling about in the back alley of my feverish mind. My long-suffering puzzlement was somewhat salved upon perusing the book: "Marijuana Botany" by Robert Connell Clarke. Robert stated that cannabis potency was dramatically enhanced due to the impact of high altitude rarified atmospheric/high UV intensity. Although I really can't be certain of the actual provenance of the Oaxaca IBL I sampled, I speculated that the astonishing quality of it's elixir-of-life-ambrosial-nectar could be accounted for by those two factors. My supposition was reinforced after reading elsewhere about the "Oaxacan Highland" strain. As the informed readers of ICMag know, [concerning IBL's]; the Oaxaca IBL strain, similar to other legendary IBL strains, had reputedly been carefully tended and meticulously bred for centuries; thereby becoming steadily refined through an ongoing systematic maintenance/upgrade program yielding an evermore desirable genetic profile. Evidently, this time-honored breeding regimen was conducted not only by the original growers from long ago, [who were located on some far-away, distant continent from which this strain was eventually imported to the Americas], but was also traditionally practiced by the subsequent Central American small-plot farmers as well. So, according to the author, these were the crucial influences directly contributing to the incredible potency of the Oaxaca IBL strain that I was lucky to sample. A salient point I wish to express is that a thick, sweet, sticky resin instantly coated my lungs upon my first hit. [It was an extremely pleasant, sensual, arousing feeling that no other strain has matched.] Three of four draws from a joint were far too crippling, propelling me straightway into an hours-long psychedelic-wonderland-intoxication, perhaps akin to the effects of brother Tangwena's delightful cob-chewing penchant? [btw, Thanks, Tangwena for detailing your great "cob" technique, which I plan to implement with my upcoming, much anticipated Ethiopian harvest.] Frankly, words fail to convey the atmospheric, soaring, deliriously delicious, magical, somesthesia ascension in whose rainbow clouds I was enraptured! [somesthesia = the faculty of bodily perception; sensory systems associated with the body; includes skin senses and proprioception and the internal organs → the perception of tactual or proprioceptive or gut sensations.] The several $10.00 lids I purchased over a two-month timeframe in late 1967 seemed like black, rotten lawn clippings with slight traces of mold [possibly from having been pressed into bricks when still wet]; the tiny seeds were also black and about half the size of normal seeds; and the fragrance, oh, that unforgettable aroma was like a most exotic, crushed ripe fruit, spiced, supernatural perfume..... Now, since 1967 I confess that I have been subconsciously searching for, but have been routinely disappointed, with everything else I have smoked, [with the exception of my recent, potent Zamaldelica harvest, which, nevertheless, I rate a mere 7 on an Oaxacan equivalency scale of 10.] Even the so-called Acapulco Gold and the Redbud I tried in the '80's did not compare whatsoever. Interestingly, a few months ago I was scanning a blog wherein a guy from Mexico said that he and his family still cultivated that mythical Oaxaca Highland strain in a remote mountainous region of Central America. He contended that his people regard ALL other strains, especially the "dutchy" indica hybrids, as total garbage! He also warned that the marijuana plants they raise are carefully guarded to prevent theft of seeds! Then he flat out declared that they laugh at practically the entire pot-smoking community, worldwide, in that they regard their own beloved Oaxaca Highland strain as the best in the world! Now his blatant assertion may sound ridiculous to most mainstream cannabis devotees, but I'm a believer! This is because his affirmation sure does jive with my first-hand "Oaxaca Encounter of the Third Kind." [Note, this seeming "segue" or "segway" is intended not as a transition from one topic to another, but as a parallel metaphor figure-of-speech that actually transfers the meaning of one thing directly onto another unit.] In fact, it's a similar nearly undecipherable conundrum [a difficult problem] as when I stumbled upon a ufo "Close Encounter of the First Kind," when I was about 11, back in 1958 on an "off the beaten path" hidden slope, approximately 2 American football fields distant from the giant telescope facility located on the peak of Mt. Palomar, California. A "hissing" pewter gray disc slowly cruised about 40ft. over my head, although I could not view the object in it's entirety, due to a partially obscuring, swirling "cloaking," clinging mist. But I discerned distinct details enough so that, years later, I was able to recognize an exact duplicate of my sighting upon glancing at the cover of one of George Adamski's 1950's ufo books. It also revealed other 1952 photographs of objects mirroring my own observation! This is the exact Nazi Haunebu II type craft whose engine I first heard, then upon gazing skyward, there it was in plain sight! see: http://www.burlingtonnews.net/ufo-venus-adamski.jpg and here is a cutaway drawing: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4108/4988160868_25a6c34b63.jpg The outer configuration
is said to be a 1942 Nazi Haunebu II model, with the three half-globes attached to the underside of the craft. see the type Haunebu II here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFfBWS9F0oA Nazi Haunebu Flying Saucer and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkjm1KC8AU Haunebu technology. Now the reason why I have mentioned my sighting, is to underscore the applicable metaphor of a person who has encountered some new anomalous thing, be it a ufo or a herb. Both types of "experiencers" are forever, indelibly affected and imprinted by their encounters/interface. However, others who have not yet become similarly initiated into such arcane "mysteries," are, rightfully distrustful and dismissive. That is as is should be, for, as was observed by Dale Carnegie, in his book: "How to Win Friends and Influence People," "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." So, although I'm not attempting to persuade anybody here to become a believer either in ufo's or legendary pot per se, I am trying to illustrate the divide of those who have personal, first-hand "contact," [of whatever flavor, be it pot, ufo's or even spirits], juxtaposed with others who have not, and are therefore somewhat mistrustful, even cynical of such claims. Like "Geraldine Jones" [played by Flip Wilson] used to say, "What you see is what you get!" LOL! see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fp8a_Op7Hc - 1980 Diet 7up Commercial with Flip Wilson. So what have YOU seen? I'm only honestly sharing a couple of my "unbelievable" life experiences. In so doing, I trust that a small percentage of readers are likely to concur with my "outlandish" tales, in that, they, too, have also become "more than they were" via intimate interactions with the numinous, the transcendental, the otherworldly.

Capt. Kirk: [on ship-wide speakers] Captain to crew: Those of you who have served for long on this vessel have encountered alien life-forms. You know the greatest danger facing us is..... ourselves, and irrational fear of the unknown. There's no such thing as 'the unknown,' only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood. ~ The Corbomite Maneuver [1966] Star Trek [TV Series]

THCengineer

Terence Mckenna quotes & videos

Terence Mckenna quotes & videos

1408474163tmck4.gif

https://theunboundedspirit.com/73-mind-blowing-terence-mckenna-quotes/

73 Mind-Blowing Terence Mckenna Quotes

Terence McKenna (November 16, 1946 – April 3, 2000) was an American philosopher, ethnobotanist, psychonaut, lecturer, writer and author who spend much of his life speaking and writing about a variety of subjects.

3. “If you don’t smoke cannabis, you may spend your evening balancing your checking account. If you do smoke cannabis you may spend your evening contemplating the causes of the Greek Renaissance.”

44. “People are so alienated from their own soul that when they meet their soul they think it comes from another star system.”

and

https://www.endoriot.com/2014/09/5-short-terence-mckenna-videos-that.html

5 Short Terence McKenna Videos That Will Blow Your Mind

Trust Yourself

Culture is Not Your Friend

Reclaim Your Mind

The Challenge

Psychedelic Advice

:cathug: :kitty: :cathug: :kitty:

Last edited:

THCengineer

Tuning Into the Frequency of Cannabis

Cannabis%2Bfrequency%2B-%2Bknowledge.jpg

http://humansarefree.com/2017/04/tuning-into-frequency-of-cannabis.html#more

"Shamans have used it for thousands of years for this purpose, to bring mindfulness where there is none so that we can see the world through an upgraded landscape that connects people to something more beautiful than what they know. Many of the shamans of today, those all around us, are just starting to realize it." :gday:

THCengineer

SPIRITUAL BENEFITS OF MARIJUANA

marijuana_woman.jpg

https://www.slideshare.net/jeffschem/spiritual-benefits-of-marijane

1. • Cannabis has been used as a spiritual drug since 3/2000 BC, indigenous to ancient Central and South Asian cultures. The reason being was for its psychoactive properties, the ability to alter one’s state of consciousness.

• For thousands of years, Shamans held the knowledge that each plant contains a unique set of frequencies that could ultimately teach us a new way of thinking and being.

2. • In shamanic tradition, plants were thought of as gateways or portals between realms or dimensions, and the vibratory relationship between the person and the plant was called friending. We friend the plant so the plant can allow us to pass between realms. Cannabis inhibits the brain from functioning at a normal capacity, which provides a great deal of relief for many people who are bombarded by their own resistant thoughts.

3. • Cannabis enhances the truth of the universe, which is intention directs energy and creates your reality. If you do not set an intention before you use cannabis, then it is going to respond to the intention of your subconscious.

• For example, if your subconscious fears the loss of boundaries, or wishes for you to know something that is buried in the subconscious, then the ingestion or inhalation of cannabis will surface these subconscious fears and emotions. This is why many experience the paranoia associated with cannabis use.

4. • It forces the mind to let go of thoughts, which induces a stress reaction for the body. This is why it is the best release of stress for people with anxiety or pain, as pain is a form of resistance. It forces a person to go with the flow, and allows more of their true being to be present, hence why people experience such profound spiritual experiences while using cannabis.

5. Cannabis Use in India

• Cannabis has been used in Ayurvedic and Indian medicine for at least three thousand years to treat a variety of health conditions

• Buddhists, Naths, Shaivites and Goddess Worshippers(2) have incorporated it into meditation practices, as a means to stop the mind and enter into a state of profound stillness, also called Samadhi.

6. • Various spiritual texts, including the Buddhist Tara Tantra,(4) list cannabis as an important aide to meditation and spiritual practice.

• Cannabis is even mentioned in the Indian creation myth, where it is named as one of the five nectars of the gods and designated a “Reliever of Suffering.” In the Vedas cannabis is referred to as a “source of happiness.”

7. Cannabis Use in China

• Cannabis was a symbol of power over evil and in emperor Shen Nung's pharmacopoeia and was called the "liberator of sin.”

• A Chinese Taoist priest wrote in the fifth century B.C. that cannabis was used in combination with Ginseng to set forward time in order to reveal future events.

8. • It is recorded that the Taoists recommended the addition of cannabis to their incense burners in the 1st century A.D. and that the effects thus produced were highly regarded as a means of achieving immortality. In the early Chinese Taoist ritual, the fumes and odors of incense burners were said to have produced a mystic exaltation and contribution to well being.

9. Cannabis Use in Japan

• Hemp was used in ancient Japan in ceremonial rights and for purification with and emphasis on driving away evil spirits. According to Shinto beliefs, evil and purity cannot exist alongside one another, and so by waving the gohei the evil spirit inside a person or place would be driven away.

• Clothes made of hemp were especially worn during formal and religious ceremonies because of hemp's traditional association with purity.

10. Cannabis Use in Ancient Europe

• The famous Greek philosopher Herodotus wrote about the use of cannabis by the Scythians, whose cultural practices he observed and wrote about.

• According to Herodotus cannabis was an integral part of the Scythian cult of the dead wherein homage was paid to the memory of their departed leaders. Cannabis has been found in Scythian tombs dated from 500 to 300 B.C. Along with the cannabis, a miniature tripod-like tent over a copper censer was found in which the sacred plant was burned.

11. Cannabis Use in Africa

• Members of the Rastafari movement use cannabis as a part of their worship of God and for Bible study and meditation. Rastafarians see cannabis as a sacramental and deeply beneficial plant and consider it to be the Tree of Life mentioned in the Bible.

• Bob Marley, amongst many others, said, "The herb ganja is the healing of the nations." The use of cannabis, and particularly the use of large pipes called chalices, is an integral part of what Rastafarians call "reasoning sessions" where members join together to discuss life according to the Rasta perspective.

12. • According to Rastafari philosophy, "the herb is the key to new understanding of the self, the universe, and God. It is the vehicle to cosmic consciousness" and is believed to burn the corruption out of the human heart